Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Companies in Apple's supply chain are reportedly "gearing up for mass production" of updated iPad and AirPods models, according to Taiwanese site DigiTimes.

ipad_2018_airpods_wireless.jpg
Flexible PCB firms Flexium Interconnect and Zhen Ding Technology are gearing up for mass production for Apple's next-generation iPad devices, while Compeq Manufacturing and Unitech PCB supply rigid-flex boards for the forthcoming AirPods, according to industry sources.
The report says that both updates are expected to come at Apple's March 25 event, although reliable sources have indicated the event will focus on Apple's upcoming news and video services with no hardware announcements planned.

Minor hardware updates could come silently alongside the event or via press release around the same time, as DigiTimes's insights via the supply chain are likely limited to production timing rather than event specifics.

Hints of an updated low-cost iPad have been growing, with new iPad models appearing in a regulatory database back in January. Rumors have suggested the entry-level iPad could see its display grow from 9.7 inches to around 10.2 inches thanks to slimmer bezels, but we're not expecting to see Face ID and removal of the home button with this update.

As for AirPods, we've been hearing about an imminent update for many months now, with Apple's plans seemingly delayed as the company continues work on its AirPower charging mat. Updated AirPods would include a wireless charging case to work with the AirPower mat, as well as other upgrades including "Hey Siri" support and possibly new health monitoring features, a "grippy" texture, and maybe even a new black color option.

Article Link: Apple Suppliers 'Gearing Up for Mass Production' of Updated iPad and AirPods

Reactions: BeefCake 15

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I wish!

This looks like an series of iPad Pro silhouettes that someone has chopped down.
for you it looks like that, but it is the real thing, probably will be announce on stage or silent release a week from monday

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
AirPods needs more size/fit options more than it needs alternate colours. Let's hope Apple understands this.

Yes perhaps fit issues are true. They fit me very well and I joke around saying I could play football and not worry about them ever falling out. But a guy at work demonstrated how they didn’t fit his ear canals and fell out instantly, so it makes me realize or think about this “fit” issue more.

If there is a certain population that is not fitting AirPods well, then I think Apple definitely should make some kind of solution for it. AirPods are awesome but they have to make it fit every human somehow
[doublepost=1552546996][/doublepost]
I’d like the option to find my AirPods in a closed case.

At one time there was some kind of a thing that Beeped them. I actually used it once. Then I heard that they stopped doing this find feature thing. I have no idea if that feature was dropped or if it exists presently, But yes it’s needed for sure. One of the best features of the Apple Watch is that it allows me to find where my iPhone is.

Reactions: Lone Deranger

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
AirPods need little improvement.

With this mindset, Apple would never be better. The AirPods do need improvement in Various areas, even though they are a great product.

1.) Siri could be improved with expanded features and capabilities.

2.) Water resistance rating should be added.

3.) Noise isolation is another consideration.

4.) Audio improvements

5.) Battery enhancements

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
"The report says that both updates are expected to come at Apple's March 25 event, although reliable sources have indicated the event will focus on Apple's upcoming news and video services with no hardware announcements planned."

I thought something looked different.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I find it hard to believe that new AirPods would release now and not September.

AirPower
AirPods 2
iPad Mini 5
New iPads
New Services
New iPod Touch

I am excite.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My other thoughts are, this keynote may focus on the service side of things, and after it’s concluded, I could see Apple updating their website with Products like the iPod touch, iPad mini, new spring watch bands, etc.

Whenever version two of the AirPods do release, I definitely could see Apple wanting to invest time in the keynote to discuss whatever changes were made. So those may not be launching during this specific keynote.

Last edited:

Jedwardoo

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2017
Here
I hope this https://www.macrumors.com/2019/03/13/apple-acquires-machine-learning-startup-laserlike/ addresses your #1. They have been acquiring companies for this. Siri has improved and I user Siri, there’s always room for improvement. I’m just happy if Siri would be #2 at least after Google assistant.

With this mindset, Apple would never be better. The AirPods do need improvement in Various areas, even though they are a great product.

1.) Siri could be improved with expanded features and capabilities.

2.) Water resistance rating should be added.

3.) Noise isolation is another consideration.

4.) Audio improvements

5.) Battery enhancements
[doublepost=1552554552][/doublepost]That’s my hunch as well.

My other thoughts are, this keynote may focus on the service side of things, and after it’s concluded, I could see Apple updating their website with Products like the iPod touch, iPad mini, new spring watch bands, etc.

Whenever version two of the AirPods do release, I definitely could see Apple wanting to invest time in the keynote to discuss whatever changes were made. So those may not be launch during this specific keynote.
[doublepost=1552554619][/doublepost]Usually the budget products gets release early in the year. Maybe we’ll see it go the same or maybe they would be surprising us this year.

I find it hard to believe that new AirPods would release now and not September.

AirPower
AirPods 2
iPad Mini 5
New iPads
New Services
New iPod Touch

I am excite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.