Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this morning seeded the first beta of an upcoming tvOS 12.3 update to developers for testing purposes, just a few days after the launch of tvOS 12.2.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models, the new tvOS 12.2 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

appletv4k2-800x691.jpg

tvOS updates have historically been minor in scale, focusing on under-the-hood bug fixes and improvements rather than major outward-facing changes. Apple provides little to no information on what's included in tvOS updates, so we may not discover anything new after installing the new beta.

Though we don't often know what's new in tvOS updates, we let MacRumors readers know when new software is available so developers are able to download it upon release. Today's update could, however, include a major new feature -- Apple's updated TV app that's coming in May.

The updated TV app features a revamped design along with new functionality. A new machine learning-powered recommendation engine will surface TV shows and movies that fit with your interests, while a new Channels feature will let you subscribe to and watch content from sources like HBO, Starz, and Showtime right in the app.

Along with tvOS 12.3, Apple has also released a beta version of Apple TV software 7.3, which is designed for the third-generation Apple TV.

Update: Today's tvOS 12.3 update does indeed include the new Apple TV app. The TV app icon itself has also been updated with a new look to match the redesign.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of Upcoming tvOS 12.3 Update to Developers [Updated]

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Dear Apple:

Please enable Dolby Digital / DTS / Atmos passthrough for third-party apps.

KTHXBYE.

P.s. A bundle with a first-party game controller might make this a viable game console. Just a thought.

Reactions: Jayderek

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
I don't see how the new TV app does anything different than the old one, at least from my perspective. We use the ATV all the time, but mainly for three things: Home Shared library, Netflix, and Prime video. As far as I know, the TV app has nothing to do with any of those.

If they want people like me to use the TV app, they're going to have to start indexing and prioritizing Home Share results in it and include all the content from all the installed apps.

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
What does not having pass through mean exactly?

I use Infuse to play MKV rips of my Blu-Rays; no Blu-Ray players needed, kids can watch a movie in any room with an aTV, etc. The various surround sound formats are currently converted to PCM because aTV won’t let the native sound “passthrough” to the receiver untouched (presumably to allow aTV sound effects like Siri to be mixed in with the movie soundtrack). The sound is exactly the same for basic DD/DTS - but you lose the metadata for Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.

aTV DOES support Atmos - but currently only in a format that is used by streaming services (like Netflix).

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I don't see how the new TV app does anything different than the old one, at least from my perspective. We use the ATV all the time, but mainly for three things: Home Shared library, Netflix, and Prime video. As far as I know, the TV app has nothing to do with any of those.

If they want people like me to use the TV app, they're going to have to start indexing and prioritizing Home Share results in it and include all the content from all the installed apps.
Agree with your comments about getting Home Sharing content in the TV App (this would be big for a non-trivial amount of people), but I'm pretty sure Amazon Prime Video is already integrated as I used it to watch the last season of The Man In the High Castle.

Reactions: CarlJ and KazKam

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

The new app lets you access the stuff on Prime without having to actually go into the prime app itself. And Hulu, CBS, and the others. Netflix is a major holdout at this point but they seem to be the only one of real note. It's basically a consolidated streaming app for whole libraries instead of just showing you what you've already added to your various "to watch" lists and then jumping to open the other app.

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
I use Infuse to play MKV rips of my Blu-Rays; no Blu-Ray players needed, kids can watch a movie in any room with an aTV, etc. The various surround sound formats are currently converted to PCM because aTV won’t let the native sound “passthrough” to the receiver untouched (presumably to allow aTV sound effects like Siri to be mixed in with the movie soundtrack). The sound is exactly the same for basic DD/DTS - but you lose the metadata for Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.

aTV DOES support Atmos - but currently only in a format that is used by streaming services (like Netflix).

I see. Thank for for that. What about iTunes movies that have atmos? Is that proper atmos?

I know I can get Atmos through Vudu app as well. Is that the real deal?

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
I see. Thank for for that. What about iTunes movies that have atmos? Is that proper atmos?

I know I can get Atmos through Vudu app as well. Is that the real deal?

It’s “real” Atmos, but it’s Atmos via Dolby Digital+ (lossy compressed) and not the glorious Atmos via TrueHD (lossless uncompressed) that is on a Blu-Ray. This isn’t surprising that it’s compressed for streaming services - it’s just a shame that the aTV won’t let Infuse (or Plex or MrMC or ...) access passthrough and let these apps handle the audio formatting.

(Infuse is really an awesome app if you have any sort of video collection.)

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
It’s “real” Atmos, but it’s Atmos via Dolby Digital+ (lossy compressed) and not the glorious Atmos via TrueHD (lossless uncompressed) that is on a Blu-Ray. This isn’t surprising that it’s compressed for streaming services - it’s just a shame that the aTV won’t let Infuse (or Plex or MrMC or ...) access passthrough and let these apps handle the audio formatting.

(Infuse is really an awesome app if you have any sort of video collection.)

Thank you for clearing it up. I was a bit confused regarding losing the metadata from Atmos and DTS;X but I believe you were referring to outputting those sounds from apps. That's the case where it loses the metadata correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.