Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone continues to be the most popular smartphone among American teenagers based on a recent survey.

iphone-teens.jpg
Shutterstock

A record 83 percent of U.S. teens own an iPhone as of spring 2019, according to investment bank Piper Jaffray's semiannual "Taking Stock With Teens" survey of around 8,000 high school students. Respondents were roughly 54 percent male and 46 percent female with an average age of 16.3 years.

Meanwhile, 86 percent of U.S. teens expect their next smartphone to be an iPhone, matching an all-time high set in fall 2018. This metric has steadily grown in Apple's favor over the years, rising from 75 percent in spring 2016.

iPhone popularity among teens is a good sign for Apple, as many of them could stick with the iPhone as an adult. Teens also become locked into the Apple ecosystem at an early age, becoming accustomed to services like iMessage, Apple Music, and iCloud as well as accessories like the AirPods and Apple Watch.

The survey found that 27 percent of U.S. teens own a smartwatch, while 22 percent of respondents plan to purchase an Apple Watch within the next six months. By comparison, 20 percent of teens said they plan to purchase an Apple Watch in the next six months in the year-ago survey.

Piper Jaffray divided its survey into two distinct income groups: "upper-income" with household incomes approximating $100,000 and "average-income" with household incomes approximating $55,000 based on zip code and census data.

Article Link: Record 83% of Surveyed U.S. Teens Own an iPhone

Reactions: Vanilla35

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
Teens also become locked into the Apple ecosystem at an early age, becoming accustomed to services like iMessage, Apple Music, and iCloud as well as accessories like the AirPods and Apple Watch.
And then they buy a Mac and they get locked with tens of TBs of APFS drives,Apple only software and ease of use, and they never again see the light of the day.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Well it’s good for us who like Apple. I really want that company to do well in the future.
No it's really not good for anyone with an objective mind. If this report is true then teenagers think a smartphone is an iPhone. It's like in the early 2000's when schools taught Microsoft Office in classes instead of teaching the concept of a word processor or spreadsheet.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
This is the power of Apple.

Teens LOVE iPhone and it's the "it" choice among the younger crowd too.

Total win for Apple. Get 'em early.

Reactions: Santiago

JustinM80

Suspended
Feb 16, 2019
All of my 3 kids own iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, AirPods, Homepods, and Macs. That’s because of their amazing grades and the fact that everyone at their school has Apple products. It’s so funny when I them complain about their Surface Pros that they have to use for Homework.

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
If You are honest, that doesn’t speak for the American youth.
It’s very sad to see such a lost generation growing on such inferior overpriced tech like an iPhone.

I wish them best and hope they grow up realizing there’s a real world outside way better and brighter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.