Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Eve, known for its line of HomeKit-compatible smart products, today announced the launch of its latest HomeKit accessory, the Eve Energy Strip.

First shown off at CES, the Eve Energy Strip has three HomeKit-connected outlets that can be controlled individually or all at once, so you can make three non-HomeKit products HomeKit-compatible.

evepowerstrip-800x236.jpg

Eve Energy Strip, which connects to a HomeKit setup over WiFi, is ideal for any non-HomeKit product, allowing whatever is plugged into it to be controlled using the Home app, the Eve app, or Siri voice commands.

eveenergy1-800x501.jpg

Along with adding HomeKit controls to existing accessories, Eve Energy Strip is able to track total power consumption and projected cost for running an accessory.

eveenergy3-800x438.jpg

Eve Energy Strip features a black matte body with an aluminum frame and a 6.3-foot cable. Eve says the outlets were designed at an optimum angle and with generous spacing so even bulky power supplies can be plugged in without obstructing a second socket.

eveenergy4-800x425.jpg

Three white LED buttons at the end of the Energy Strip display the socket's power status and allow for manually turning an accessory on or off. Eve Energy is equipped with protection against power surges, overcurrent, and overvoltage.

The Eve Energy Strip can be purchased from the Eve website, from Amazon, or from Best Buy.

Article Link: HomeKit-Enabled Eve Energy Strip Now Available for Purchase

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
I really would like one of these to come out for UK plug sockets. Unlike Braderunner, I would have use for these.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
I also vote for iDevices Switch. Pretty happy with their reliability. I have about 10 of them now. Their outdoor switch is also very good, and I enjoy seeing power consumption from all their switches.

Reactions: CarlJ and sos47

smitty1110

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2017
NoVA
Serious question, does anyone actually have a situation where a 3 outlet strip is enough? This has never been the case for me, and this product just seems like a gimmick.

Reactions: wolfshades

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Recommendations?

Look at Koogeek. An identically featured unit for about US$35 on Amazon.
[doublepost=1554825777][/doublepost]
Serious question, does anyone actually have a situation where a 3 outlet strip is enough? This has never been the case for me, and this product just seems like a gimmick.

The question is how many devices you want to control that are near to the outlets. So single outlet units make more sense in some places. I have 2 3-outlet Koogeek strips and I'm looking at a couple of single socket units too.

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Recommendations?

How willing are you to do a little tinkering? If you’re willing to set up Homebridge you really expand your options. I’ve got 7 TP-Link outlets I have integrated with HomeKit using Homebridge. You can regularly get the TP-Link adapters for around $10 each on sale or as part of a multipack. I got a few for $5 each when Amazon had them as a $5 add on for Echos we were purchasing for our nephews as gifts. The TP-Links are rock solid as well.

https://homebridge.io/

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
$100 for a 3 outlet power strip? o_O No thanks. I'd rather buy 3 smart outlets, that can be used in 3 different locations.
3 is on the stingy side, since you are only getting 2 extra outlet.

Best reviewed HomeKit outlet is Belkin's Wemo Mini Smart Plug ($35), but it is widely available at a substantial discount if you buy more than 1 ($45 for 2, $70 for 3).

To Eve's credit, however, this Energy Strip does offer few features missing on Wemo that could be worth the $30 premium:
  • Surge protection and grounding indicator
  • Power consumption monitoring per outlet
  • If your home does not have many power outlet, 2 extra outlets can be very valuable

brushlee

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Irvine, CA
3 outlets in one place ? Hmmmm - probably no, BUT !!! I have one already (K**g**) and I just got amazing idea how to use it!
My MacBook is plugged always and sitting on my desk (kbd,mouse,monitor). I can easy use HomeKit to keep it unplugged while I am not at home - (Away home scene). My MacBook battery will really appreciate it ! :):):)

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
3 outlets in one place ? Hmmmm - probably no, BUT !!! I have one already (K**g**) and I just got amazing idea how to use it!
My MacBook is plugged always and sitting on my desk (kbd,mouse,monitor). I can easy use HomeKit to keep it unplugged while I am not at home - (Away home scene). My MacBook battery will really appreciate it ! :):):)
The macOS already automatically manages battery health and wear. You don’t need to charge/discharge it to keep healthy.

brushlee

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Irvine, CA
The macOS already automatically manages battery health and wear. You don’t need to charge/discharge it to keep healthy.
(sigh) my swollen battery speaks otherwise :(
And the only reason I found so far - last ~9 month it was plugged 24x7 to the outlet.....

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
(sigh) my swollen battery speaks otherwise :(
And the only reason I found so far - last ~9 month it was plugged 24x7 to the outlet.....

That’s not the reason. That sometimes just happens with batteries. I had a MacBook Air that was plugged in for literally 4 years straight and the battery still holds a charge with no swelling. My MacBook Pro is plugged in for months and months at a time. Repeatedly charging and discharging your battery will only lead to you lowering the expected life of the battery as they are only rated for a certain number of charging cycles.

I know you want a reason but you just had a defective battery. Plain and simple.

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
I honestly can't think of three plugged-in things in my house that I want to control smartly...certainly not three things sitting next to each other.

Actually I thought of one as I typed this. I've got an Airport Express connected to an old receiver in my basement, with speakers wired to the back yard. currently if I want to listen to music outside I need to go down to the basement and turn on said receiver. A smart plug would enable me to do that whilst sitting on my tush. Except I really don't see the need to spend money on it.

Reactions: brushlee

brushlee

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Irvine, CA
That’s not the reason. That sometimes just happens with batteries. I had a MacBook Air that was plugged in for literally 4 years straight and the battery still holds a charge with no swelling. My MacBook Pro is plugged in for months and months at a time. Repeatedly charging and discharging your battery will only lead to you lowering the expected life of the battery as they are only rated for a certain number of charging cycles.

I know you want a reason but you just had a defective battery. Plain and simple.
My MacBook Pro is 4+ y.o. as I remember :) and battery has only 190 cycles. Capacity shows over 90%, but got swollen 2 weeks ago. Just a little, but VERY annoying... I am planning to visit Apple store - but who knows what's the price. Machine is still a maxed out monster (well for the time of purchase) and I guess worst case scenario - I will ask to remove dang battery and keep it on UPS :confused: and get a new laptop or even better - get new iMac or iMac pro after coming update.....
[doublepost=1554852810][/doublepost]
Look at Koogeek. An identically featured unit for about US$35 on Amazon.
[doublepost=1554825777][/doublepost]

The question is how many devices you want to control that are near to the outlets. So single outlet units make more sense in some places. I have 2 3-outlet Koogeek strips and I'm looking at a couple of single socket units too.
I grabbed one kogeek with a big discount like a month ago on Amazon - no complains ......

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
$100 for a 3 outlet power strip? o_O No thanks. I'd rather buy 3 smart outlets, that can be used in 3 different locations.

I got 2 VOCOlinc Smart Plugs on Amazon for $30.

They were a pain to set up, like Lifx bulbs. Scanning the code never works. I had to enter in the code, let it reach a fail state, perform a device reset, then enter the code again, but they work now.

Nice for the price.

I'm under the impression all things HomeKit suck to configure (or I just buy the devices that barely pass spec).

SlaunchaMan

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
Detroit, MI
This looks cool, but I’m always bitten with HomeKit plugs by other devices that don’t turn back on when power comes on. We have some lights that I tried to make HomeKit-compatible, but they just stay off. So frustrating!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.