Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Terry Gou, the chairman and CEO of Foxconn, plans to step back from day-to-day operations of the company in the coming months.

From the South China Morning Post:
"I'm already 69 years old. I hope to pass down my 45 years of experience to young people," said Gou on the sidelines of an event in Taipei on Monday. "That's the goal I set up – let young people learn sooner and take over my position sooner. Then I have more time to make long-term planning for the company."
While it appears that Gou will soon resign as Foxconn chairman, he hopes to remain involved in larger strategic decisions.

Gou, 69, founded Foxconn in Taiwan in 1974. The company has grown to become the world's largest electronics manufacturer, assembling well-known products ranging from iPhones and iPads to the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4.

Gou also confirmed that Foxconn will soon begin iPhone production in India, although he did not elaborate on the plans. Last week, a report claimed that Foxconn will begin production of the iPhone X in India this July. Foxconn rival Wistron already assembles older models like the iPhone SE and iPhone 7 in India.

Last week, Apple announced that Foxconn and over two dozen other companies in it supply chain have committed to using 100 percent renewable energy when manufacturing Apple products.

Article Link: Foxconn CEO Terry Gou Plans to Step Back, Confirms iPhone Production Will Begin in India

Last edited:

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
under Mr. Gou's leadership, Foxconn has been an amazingly successful company.
he and his team were able to really leverage 3 countries's human resources (both labour and management) and political structures.
few companies have ever reached this level of growth.

General Motors was another, in a different age.

we can hope that at least one or two of the new space related companies might be able to achieve this level of greatness.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
No American company can ever accomplish what this company has done including Quanta. The only way we've done so far is basically have those parts and screws shipped to Texas then they just put them together. There's no way USA will ever bring back production assembly and now we don't have the knowledge and capability.

Reactions: jpn

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
This has been debunked by the Taiwanese media, Terry Gou is NOT stepping down.

Terry Gou also said he’s not retiring for at least another 5 years.

https://udn.com/news/story/7251/3756667

its odd.
although i read the same article you did, i didn't get the impression he was stepping down.
the key is what Mr. Gou himself is quoted as saying:

"Then I have more time to make long-term planning for the company."

that sentence is so important and is an example for all company presidents.
he isnt going anywhere.
hes staying at the helm.
he needs to get younger persons to take over.
he will still steer the ship.

there are so many things to learn from this great man.

"I'm already 69 years old. I hope to pass down my 45 years of experience to young people," said Gou on the sidelines of an event in Taipei on Monday. "That's the goal I set up - let young people learn sooner and take over my position sooner. Then I have more time to make long-term planning for the company."

Reactions: Marekul

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
No American company can ever accomplish what this company has done including Quanta. The only way we've done so far is basically have those parts and screws shipped to Texas then they just put them together. There's no way USA will ever bring back production assembly and now we don't have the knowledge and capability.

See how fast that Knowledge and capabilities will return when there is a financial incentive. With nationalistic politics it is easily possible. Yeah maybe the iPhone will be a bit more expensive without third world country slave labor... but is that really a bad thing? I don’t think so.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Foxconn has a long history of promising the moon and then failing to deliver. Foxconn has previously to open manufacturing plants in Pennsylvania, Indonesia, Vietnam, and Brazil. None of these initiatives came to anything like what the company had originally promised, either in terms of direct jobs or indirect economic benefits to local economies. Wisconsin is just the latest in a long string of broken promises. And while we’re on the topic, it’d be nice if the government returned the land it seized to build the no-longer-existent factory.

FoxConn CEO Terry Cou plans to retire to ... Wisconsin/s

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
See how fast that Knowledge and capabilities will return when there is a financial incentive. With nationalistic politics it is easily possible. Yeah maybe the iPhone will be a bit more expensive without third world country slave labor... but is that really a bad thing? I don’t think so.

Just stop, they are not forced, they also make more than average.
Have you are lived in one, probably not, I did, it's not as you think it is, cost of living is way lower than in the rich countries, you can get a meal for pennies on the street, and believe me, street food in Asia is overall very good.

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
Why do people praise Foxconn (or want them to build a factory in our country)? Say what you will about them, but Foxconn is fundamentally an outsourcer. i.e. Scummy people who do the dirty work of exploiting others, giving their employer the impression of a "clean operation", all the while extracting massive profits in the middle. Should we praise Deloitte, Accenture, PwC, and their ilk for sending American jobs overseas while making a killing? Does anyone remember when Disney outsourced all their IT workers to India and forced the ones getting laid off to train their own replacements? What's more, Foxconn is only nominally Taiwanese, all of their operations are in China. Who in their right mind wants a company like this to be their local employer?
in the USA, there is no stepping back. only stepping down.
People "step back" all the time. To the board, becoming chairman of the board, etc. Gets you out of the CEO role.
FoxConn CEO Terry Cou plans to retire to ... Wisconsin/s
The irony is most rich and politically connected Taiwanese are green card holders or dual US citizens. It's a running joke every so often it's revealed some politician would get found out and forced to decide which one to keep. The guy probably has a vacation home by the lake...

Last edited:
Reactions: Marekul

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
Just stop, they are not forced, they also make more than average.
Have you are lived in one, probably not, I did, it's not as you think it is, cost of living is way lower than in the rich countries, you can get a meal for pennies on the street, and believe me, street food in Asia is overall very good.
Yeah I guess that’s why they had to install suicide nets...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.