Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Japanese electronics maker Yamaha has announced that it will be rolling out AirPlay 2 support to 15 of its current home audio products, including a sound bar, wireless speakers, and receivers, starting later this month.

yahama-airplay-2-800x612.jpg

The rollout will begin in late April and includes the following products:
  • MusicCast 20 and MusicCast 50 wireless speakers
    MusicCast BAR 400 sound bar
    RX-Ax80 series AV receivers
    RX-Vx85 series AV receivers
    RX-S602 slimline AV receiver
    ATS-4080 sound bar
    TSR-7850 AV receiver
    CX-A5200 AV preamp/processor
    XDA-QS5400 MusicCast multi-room streaming amplifier
Users will be automatically prompted to install the firmware update via Yahama's MusicCast Controller app for iOS devices.

AirPlay 2 will allow for Yamaha's home audio products to work with other AirPlay 2-enabled devices, such as the HomePod, Apple TV, and Sonos speakers, complete with multi-room audio syncing. AirPlay 2 devices can also be controlled with Siri and appear in the Home app across iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch.

Additionally, starting today, over 70 Yamaha audio products will gain support for Actions on Google through an update to the MusicCast app, enabling voice control of compatible Yamaha devices via Google Assistant, either using the Google Home or an Android or iOS device with the Google Assistant app.

Article Link: Yamaha Rolling Out AirPlay 2 Support to Select Home Audio Products Starting Later This Month

Last edited:

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
Nice! Although I'm not surprised that some older devices won't get AP2, at least Yamaha is on board with the standard. At least I have an option besides Sonos, although I still might end up setting up the new house with Sonos this summer anyway. I like AP2, but I also like the option of having a second standard to send an analog or digital source to the other speakers, such as my CD player or record player.

MidwestMacGuy

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
But will any of their products be Roon Ready?

If you want quality sound you need a quality oriented way to connect. AirPlay 2 is OK, but Roon is a much better way to do this and supports FLAC, DSD, and MQA.

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
I never said that I thought AP2 is the best sounding; I just like it for a good compromise of convenience and sound quality that I might having chance of my family understanding. My wife could never figure out the home theater and zone 2 setup for the back patio of my current Yamaha receiver or my old Marantz receiver.

Reactions: liberte1776

liberte1776

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2014
Extremely lame that they’re not going back a few years (2016) like Vizio is for airplay 2 support!

nooneinparticular

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2019
Extremely lame that they’re not going back a few years (2016) like Vizio is for airplay 2 support!

One prerequisite for Airplay 2 is a 5ghz wifi module. Only the newer Yamaha devices have that unfortunately. At least thats what I've heard

So with the new firmware I will be able to stream to more than one device at once, but I'm curious if I can stream to one device (say MC20) and cast it from there via Musiccast. Right now thats not possible but that way my older devices could be part of the stream, too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.