Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macOS 10.15 will have a new feature that allows users to send any window of any app to an external display, according to 9to5Mac's Guilherme Rambo. The external display can supposedly be a monitor connected to the Mac or even an iPad.

luna-display-macbook.jpg
Luna Display

The report claims this functionality will be accessible via a new menu that can be opened by hovering over the green "maximize" button in a Mac app window for a split second. The menu is expected to provide options for making windows full-screen, tiling windows, and moving windows to external displays.

The feature, codenamed "Sidecar," is said to be similar to the Luna Display hardware solution that turns an iPad into a second display for the Mac.

Users with an iPad that supports Apple Pencil will be able to draw with the Pencil when the iPad is being used as an external display for the Mac, effectively "turning the iPad into a Wacom-like tablet," according to the report.

The report claims Apple is also working on options that will allow windows to be easily snapped to one side of the screen.

Article Link: macOS 10.15 Said to Feature 'Luna Display-Like' Desktop Extension Functionality

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
“Virtualization software for iOS to run macOS(Intel x64 arch) on iPhone via hdmi output over USB-C and bluetooth keyboard”.

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
this would be something nice I would love to try out. never tried the 3rd parties as I didn't want to pay for the feature as I don't think I would use it as much.

Reactions: VelfarreClubber

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
There are also indications (stroughton smith) that you’ll be able to combine with handoff-like functionality. In other words, when working with an app on the mac, send it to your iPad, and it can actually launch the ipad version of the app and populate it with the app state so you can keep working on your ipad without being anywhere near the mac. With marzipan, many ipad apps will be identical code to their mac versions, which will make this much easier for developers to support.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Pretty interesting, further blurring the lines between the iPad and a Mac. I wonder if they will add a menu bar/mouse support to the iPad through some sort of handoff from your Mac, or do they need to have touch controls built in. Lots of questions, but I can see the end goal that Apple wants to get to. One app store with support across iOS and macOS.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
This sounds bad ass but imagine is you could send an app to the iPad display and use the iPad like a Cintiq.
FTA:
Users with an iPad that supports Apple Pencil will be able to draw with the Pencil when the iPad is being used as an external display for the Mac, effectively "turning the iPad into a Wacom-like tablet," according to the report.

blindzero

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Having the iPad as an external display was a requested feature since the very first one. It was one of the reasons I bought one as people speculated it would be added relatively quickly.

Crazy it took this long to officially do it, and now with Pencil support I might finally buy a new one.

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
I use Duet Display, but I use it with an iPad 2 that runs whatever old version of iOS, so assuming that wont work with this - but duet display has been great (and works on windows)

Reactions: peterh988
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.