Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Lexus recently announced that it is bringing CarPlay to some older vehicles, following the launch of CarPlay in new 2019 Lexus vehicles last September.

CarPlay can be installed in the 2018 LS, LC, RC, RC F, and NX, and as pointed out by iPhone in Canada, the new CarPlay options are available in both the U.S. and Canada.

lexuscarplay.jpg

According to Lexus, 2018 and 2019 vehicles equipped with a Lexus Multimedia System can have an enhancement installed that adds CarPlay compatibility along with support for Alexa. A full list of eligible vehicles is below:

[*]2018 LS
[*]2018 LC
[*]2018 RC and RC F
[*]2018 NX
[*]2019 NX (produced before October 2018)
[*]2019 RC F (produced before October 2018)
[*]2019 ES, without factory navigation (purchased before October 2018)

Lexus says that it is "pleased" to offer the software enhancement for $199, and Lexus owners who are interested should contact their Lexus dealer for more information.

Lexus says that new software will be installed on the Lexus Multimedia System to add the CarPlay feature, and a Lexus dealer is required to install the update.

CarPlay is already available in select 2019 Lexus vehicles including the 2019 UX crossover and the 2019 Lexus ES.

Lexus and parent company Toyota were among some of the last major car manufacturers to introduce support for CarPlay, instead supporting the SmartDeviceLink platform from Ford and Livio.

The wide availability of CarPlay spurred Toyota to reverse course and support Apple's platform after all, and the first 2019 Toyota and Lexus vehicles with CarPlay were announced in early 2018.

Article Link: Some 2018 Lexus Vehicles Eligible for $199 Software Update to Add CarPlay Support

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
"Lexus says that new software will be installed on the Lexus Multimedia System to add the CarPlay feature, and a Lexus dealer is required to install the update."

If they are required to install it then why should anyone pay money for this? Not to mention it's CarPlay.. this should absolutely be universal. Such a scam!

repoman016

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Ohio
Can someone please explain to me how in 2019, this is still not a universal standard thing?

Car Play debuted 5 years ago, and EVERYONE owns iPhones, why WOULDN'T car makers want this in their vehicles?

Still surprised insurance doesn't require something like this.

Sometimes I think the same thing when i see some of the new car displays that look worse than an ipad from 10 years ago. How is the technology so far behind? why is the GUI so bad and the buttons so laggy?

my dad has a 2015 and the touch display looks worse than a game boy color and the response time is terrible.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Can someone please explain to me how in 2019, this is still not a universal standard thing?

Car Play debuted 5 years ago, and EVERYONE owns iPhones, why WOULDN'T car makers want this in their vehicles?

Still surprised insurance doesn't require something like this.
Car companies need to pay apple (and google) for the rights for these features and they don't want tolol. That is likely the beginning and end of it.

As an aside, $199 upgrade is completely gouging the consumer here. You can get an entire aftermarket carplay head unit for under $300 these days.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Car companies need to pay apple (and google) for the rights for these features and they don't want tolol. That is likely the beginning and end of it.

As an aside, $199 upgrade is completely gouging the consumer here. You can get an entire aftermarket carplay head unit for under $300 these days.
Agreed.

But my point is, the tech evolves.
Cassette- CD Player- Bluetooth- Wifi- back up cameras- hands free, LANE ****ING ASSIST....yet Carplay? Oh we don't think its important.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Agreed.

Cassette- CD Player- Bluetooth- Wifi- back up cameras- hands free, LANE ****ING ASSIST....yet Carplay? Oh we don't think its important.
Most of all the tech is developed in house. With carplay it is 100% licensed.

I am not disagreeing with you, it's just carplay functionality is really compeltely outside the hands of the car companies. It works the way Apple wants it, not how they want it.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Agreed.

I have driving my 2016 Toyota Corrola without Carplay for three years in the row now. And I have driving old Malibu for 6 years before that. I don't have problem with that.

I rather want car have safety features, Carplay is nice feature but not necessary features. I will continue buy Toyota even if Toyota never offers Carplay. Toyota quality and reliability is so good, even lack of Carplay or Android auto is fine for me. Even if Hyundai or GM offers Carplay while Toyota doesn't, I would still buy Toyota.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Sometimes I think the same thing when i see some of the new car displays that look worse than an ipad from 10 years ago. How is the technology so far behind? why is the GUI so bad and the buttons so laggy
I would say that across the entire world of electronics, crappy GUIs are the norm rather than an exception. It's easy to underestimate the sheer volume of institutional knowledge that a handful of firms including Apple uniquely possess, that enables them to actually deliver good results.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
"Lexus says that new software will be installed on the Lexus Multimedia System to add the CarPlay feature, and a Lexus dealer is required to install the update."

If they are required to install it then why should anyone pay money for this? Not to mention it's CarPlay.. this should absolutely be universal. Such a scam!

A Lexus dealer is required to install it in that you can’t instal it yourself. Not in that they have to perform the update if they have your car and the software isn’t on it.

Reactions: Gasu E. and Lazy

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
I also wonder why in 2019 so many built-in car infotainment are unbelievably horrendous. It seems like every time I rent a car I just shake my head.

Because these automaters(especially luxury) are trying to be fancy for the sake of being fancy. Just give me a knob and a touch screen. I don’t understand the need to deal with a fancy touchpad. At 60 mph, I don’t care if your infotainment is unique and fancy, I just want it to work.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
I wonder if they're going to charge an extra $200 labor on top of that $199, like Mazda is doing? I'm still pissed about that.
Same, but have you seen what it takes to do it yourself? They have to swap out the hub since the ports are not high power enough.. and you have to tear out the entire center console and even mid console to do it.. after seeing the photos of those that have tried it themselves.. I understand the labor charge. It’s not as simple as a computer flash. I might get it installed in my car this weekend as I just picked up a CPO Grand Touring CX3 AWD.. but I am not sure if I want to spend the money or not. If it were 200 i’d do it though.

Reactions: entropys

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
Anyone who buys a Toyota & pays $10,000 extra for some increased hp & a wooden steering wheel (Lexus) should have to fork over $200 for a software update (says Toyota/Lexus)...

My 2014 top of the line Rav4 Limited's "radio" crapped out after 38 months (out of warranty) & they wanted $4000 for a replacement. I went to a stereo shop & got a new Kenwood head unit that has Apple CarPlay AND Android Auto for $600.00 /. It Sounds better & the back up camera, parking asset, etc. all work fine.

Reactions: 12vElectronics

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
There was probably some sort of CarPlay license you have to purchase and nothing about Apple is cheap, plus the time/labor to do the upgrade.

Reactions: 100RNR

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
What kind of BS is this? Charging an existing customer for plugging in a dongle and uploading software? Seriously Lexus?

Like Apple not including quick charge and cable, so you need go spend more money for quick charge and cable? If Apple can do that, Lexus is entitled to do so.

Reactions: hypertoast

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Nice anti customer move Toyota! Customer buys a premium vehicle from you and you nickel and dime them for a feature that you should have been providing for free 5 years ago.

Reactions: 2010mini

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Same, but have you seen what it takes to do it yourself? They have to swap out the hub since the ports are not high power enough.. and you have to tear out the entire center console and even mid console to do it.. after seeing the photos of those that have tried it themselves.. I understand the labor charge. It’s not as simple as a computer flash. I might get it installed in my car this weekend as I just picked up a CPO Grand Touring CX3 AWD.. but I am not sure if I want to spend the money or not. If it were 200 i’d do it though.

On the website it says it's a software update, nothing more.

What is involved in the multimedia enhancement to add Apple CarPlay compatibility and Lexus+Alexa support?

For eligible vehicles, your Lexus dealer will install new software on your Lexus Multimedia system to add CarPlay compatibility and Lexus+Alexa support. Simply call your preferred Lexus dealer to schedule an appointment or ask about the enhancement at your next scheduled service.

Apple CarPlay | Lexus+Alexa - Multimedia Enhancement

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.