Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Many home cameras today send video the the cloud to, for example, analyze the difference between a leaf blowing in the wind or someone at your door.

homekit-routers.jpg

Apple aims to improve this with a new feature called HomeKit Secure Video with on-device analyzing. An encrypted stream is then sent to iCloud that no one, not even Apple, can see. You'll be alerted to activity and can review what's going on.

HomeKit is also coming to routers, effectively adding a firewall between smart home accessories and your network. Launch partners will include Linksys, Eero, and Charter/Spectrum.

Article Link: HomeKit Coming to Routers and Gets New 'Secure Video' Feature

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Will this require specific (new) hardware cameras? So they are pre-programmed for this api, rather than pinging home to China...

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
Just bring out new Apple gear ffs. IoT is ripe for disruption. Mental that every market is now judged on whether Apple can make 300% profit rather than 300% difference; that’s Tim’s Apple v Steve’s Apple.

Bswails

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
...so I didn’t see a logo for Nest when it spoke about the cameras..should I cancel my nest cameras now? I think This kind of spells out Nest..and probably Ring never offering complete HomeKit functionality. DAMN I wanted more time spent with HomeKit. It’s a shame a company that beats the privacy drum so much(listening to Craig give the “we take privacy seriously” line again for the one millionth time lol) not take the home as serious as it is with Apple TV...which may be a game changer at second look

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Didn’t see that Arlo is on board either but I wouldn’t have expected it.

Hey Apple, how about adding support for the HomeKit Routers to your existing Extreme Tower router even though you EOL’d. Should just be a firmware upgrade.

NtDs90

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2015
As long as it works on AirPort Extreme and Spectrum, I’ll be set. Not buying a new router.

Reactions: LiveM

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005

Hey Apple, how about adding support for the HomeKit Routers to your existing Extreme Tower router even though you EOL’d. Should just be a firmware upgrade.

I didn't hear or see it in the keynote but pretty much every major tech blog is reporting that Arlo is supported (Engadget, Gizmodo, and the Verge), so who knows? I would love for Arlo to support this....

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'm guessing that the camera makers that currently rely in part on subscriptions for cloud storage, etc., won't buy into SecureVideo

Then they won’t be purchased by Apple users. I have a DropCam (now a part of Nest) that I’ve been meaning to replace but I really don’t trust small time manufacturers with having visual and audio access into my home. I’ll totally purchase a camera endorsed by Apple knowing that the video is encrypted on Apple’s iCloud servers, not a small company with a little budget that might cut corners on security.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I didn't hear or see it in the keynote but pretty much every major tech blog is reporting that Arlo is supported (Engadget, Gizmodo, and the Verge), so who knows? I would love for Arlo to support this....
That would be great. We have 5 of their cameras.

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018

Not holding my breath on Arlo. Become a bit disillusioned based on the amount of bugs recently (especially geofencing) and their unwillingness to engage on support.

Did anyone spot if UniFi was on the supported list?

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Then they won’t be purchased by Apple users. I have a DropCam (now a part of Nest) that I’ve been meaning to replace but I really don’t trust small time manufacturers with having visual and audio access into my home. I’ll totally purchase a camera endorsed by Apple knowing that the video is encrypted on Apple’s iCloud servers, not a small company with a little budget that might cut corners on security.

True, at least to some degree. Some may still buy.

It will be companies that want to pursue a different business model - hardware without software. We'll see how much those develop and what happens to the installed base of folks with Nest, Arlo, etc.

JWD

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
Interesting, I have Circle 2 HomeKit cameras, very good for the price. Not the best night vision but better than nothing. Should I be concerned about security/interception? Seems as if Apple is...

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
We've intentionally avoided IoT appliances (door locks, garage door openers, cams, lights) because their weak or non-existent security measures are a potential hijacker's paradise. Unbelievably, even solutions from dedicated home security services lack it!

jelockwood

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
Apple have announced a new HomeKit feature which is to provide 'free' video recording to iCloud for compatible security cameras. This is great news on the surface. The recordings are stored for 10 days, encrypted so only you can access them and do not count towards your storage limit.

There is however a massive catch. The above might lead you to believe you can simply link it to your existing (free) iCloud account. After all if it does not count towards your storage limit then the fact your free account only has a 5GB allowance is irrelevant.

Unfortunately the 'small print' says that you need a paid for 200GB account to allow using a single camera and a 2TB account in order to support five cameras. In other words you do have to pay for this feature.

Whats worse is that it is not clear what happens if you have more than five cameras. I have already five (presumably) compatible cameras in that they support HomeKit and I already have plans that would involve adding another four cameras. How much would this cost me? The biggest possible plan is the 2TB one which Apple says only supports five cameras. This alone is going to cost me £6.99 a month aka $9.99 a month at least. This is if anything more expensive than the plans for non-HomeKit cameras.

As a comparison Amazon's Ring offers plans for £2.50 for a single camera or £8.00 for unlimited cameras both with 30 days of storage. (Three times as long as Apple's offering.)

Clearly Apple's Secure Video feature is not free. Apple may have strayed sufficiently beyond an honest description here to be guilty of breaking the law in terms of false advertising, or bait and switch sales tactics.

:(

Apple's charging for iCloud has always been 'irrational' in that even if you have paid the Apple tax for multiple Apple devices you do not qualify for more storage which makes trying to backup multiple iPhones and iPads difficult unless you pay yet more.

Now I am not saying Apple should simply make this feature completely and really free although that would obviously be welcome but I do feel they need to revise it to be a lot more honest. I would propose that they first stop trying to con people by saying it is free - clearly it is not and claiming it is free as mentioned could be breaking the law. Secondly they should revise the offerings, they should have say a basic level supporting one camera - presumably at the 50GB iCloud fee level, a middle level supporting between two and five cameras at the 200GB level, and an unlimited number of cameras at the 2TB level.

This would then be fair, honest and competitive compared to other brands whilst still providing I believe a similar level of revenue to Apple.

Note: Compatible cameras would not only include outdoor cameras but the new HomeKit compatible smart doorbells (with cameras) and of course indoor cameras. Hence it is much easier than Apple perhaps considered to exceed a total of five cameras.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
They have added HomeKit support, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s enough to work as a secure router for VideoKit or whatever it’s called.

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
They should have had this in place from the moment they discontinued the Airport line of Apple branded routers.
Weird that they got bored of making routers right when they ramped up the privacy speil. Seeing they're promoting third party equipment, I guess that means they're extremely unlikely to resume router development.
[doublepost=1560060153][/doublepost]
Did Apple really not add support for airport routers?
They just pushed a security update for the extremes and time capsules.
[doublepost=1560060312][/doublepost]
will you be able to say “hey siri” to the router to control your home?
Sure, but I'll be concerned if there's a response as I don't recall any routers claiming microphone function.

otherorange

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2007
Just bring out new Apple gear ffs. IoT is ripe for disruption. Mental that every market is now judged on whether Apple can make 300% profit rather than 300% difference; that’s Tim’s Apple v Steve’s Apple.

You mean like when Steve Jobs came back to Apple and cancelled almost every single product Apple made?

Reactions: iDento

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle

I doubt the AP Extreme has enough horsepower to do motion detection. I tested the tower on a one gigabit fibre internet connection (Centurylink Seattle) and the tower could not perform NAT at 1 Gbps speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.