Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Contrary to multiple rumors that circulated ahead of when iOS 13 was announced, the new operating system is indeed compatible with many older iPhones, including the iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 6s Plus. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are not supported.

ios13compatibility.jpg

Apple's list of compatible devices confirms that iOS 13 is compatible with all of these iPhones:

[*]iPhone XS
[*]iPhone XS Max
[*]iPhone XR
[*]iPhone X
[*]iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
[*]iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
[*]iPhone SE
[*]iPhone 6s and 6s Plus
[*]iPod touch (7th-generation)

The new iPadOS, which is basically iOS 13 but for the iPad, is also compatible with a wide range of older devices.

[*]All iPad Pros
[*]iPad (6th generation)
[*]iPad (5th generation)
[*]iPad mini (5th generation)
[*]iPad mini 4
[*]iPad Air (3rd generation)
[*]iPad Air 2

Apple says that iOS 13, like iOS 12, brings some major performance improvements to our devices, so we can perhaps expect to see better speeds even on older devices. Apps have faster launch times, app download sizes have been reduced, and on TrueDepth devices, Face ID is up to 30 percent faster.

Right now, iOS 13 is available for registered developers, but Apple plans to make a public beta available this July. The update will launch to the public in the fall.

Article Link: iOS 13 Compatible With iPhone 6s and 6s Plus and Later

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Well, this and the new Watch OS are the best things for me today, firstly because my Series 1 life’s on to fight another day, secondly because I really want to see what my XR can do with the new iOS version, it’s one damn fast phone I have to say.
And thirdly because I can test the new iPad OS on my knackered 9.7” iPad Pro and try it out before, if I do, commit to a new iPad Pro as my main system.

This, bar the I have to say in some parts obnoxious privacy talk, and the ridiculous price for a stand, was by far one of the best keynotes they’ve held! I think second is the one where they launched the new iPad Pros.

Good job Apple good job, and thank you so so much for listening to the Mac Pro fans, they can settle down a bit now no?

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010

Contrary to multiple rumors that circulated ahead of when iOS 13 was announced, the new operating system is indeed compatible with many older iPhones, including the iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 6s Plus. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are not supported.

ios13compatibility.jpg

Apple's list of compatible devices confirms that iOS 13 is compatible with all of these iPhones:

[*]iPhone XS
[*]iPhone XS Max
[*]iPhone XR
[*]iPhone X
[*]iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
[*]iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
[*]iPhone SE
[*]iPod touch (7th-generation)

The new iPadOS, which is basically iOS 13 but for the iPad, is also compatible with a wide range of older devices.

[*]All iPad Pros
[*]iPad (6th generation)
[*]iPad (5th generation)
[*]iPad mini (5th generation)
[*]iPad mini 4
[*]iPad Air (3rd generation)
[*]iPad Air 2

Apple says that iOS 13, like iOS 12, brings some major performance improvements to our devices, so we can perhaps expect to see better speeds even on older devices. Apps have faster launch times, app download sizes have been reduced, and on TrueDepth devices, Face ID is up to 30 percent faster.

Right now, iOS 13 is available for registered developers, but Apple plans to make a public beta available this July. The update will launch to the public in the fall.

Article Link: iOS 13 is Compatible With iPhone SE and Later, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Not Supported

Don’t forget to mention the 6s and 6s Plus!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No A8 based iPod touch 6 is mentioned
:(

That’s my test device

Even though, the A8 process is still decent for the iPod touch and it still has plenty of life left, even though won’t receive updates anymore, it’s a solid device.

Reactions: racerhomie

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
. Apple and their planned obsolescence :mad:

Can you define what ‘planned obsolescence’ actually means? I honestly think many take this term out of context, when they don’t know what it means themselves.

Last edited:

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Stupid rumors. I knew the SE would be supported. The worst part was the media picking the rumors up from that French and Israeli websites and believing them

But then I’m not surprised though. I had said 1GB of RAM devices won’t make it and yeah

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
Right? My Air 2 is a tank, the battery life is strong as ever, flawless display, no creaking/popping when touching the display and the performance still has decent sustainability. By far my my favorite iPad to date.
Awesome, wondering if I’ll write the same thing for my trusty 2018 iPad Pro in 2022! That would be insane, man I love Apple.

urnotl33t

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2017
Cary, NC, USA
Wow my iPhone 7 barely made it. Probably will be crippleware.
Your iPhone 7?? What about my iPhone SE!? I'm on the bottom rung now... It'll be a whisper-and-a-prayer if I get iOS 14. :( I'm just hoping there's a new SE 2 in the wings... But I already see what they've laid out for me, and I don't drink that kool-aid. iPhone XR is a fabulous item; I want a flat back, flat edges, WITHOUT a goram case, that I can sit/stand it to take photos with my Apple Watch remote camera. WTF is the point of the Apple Watch remote camera if the stupid phone is on a curved edge? Are the designers nuts? Or just out of touch with their own reality?

I traded in my humongous iPhone 6 for an SE as soon as I had the cash in hand and a trade-in value quote. Glad I did. I have the only 4" rose gold color model ever made. No other 4" phone has that color mix. It's a nice uniquity. I'm gonna be a little sad if there's no equivalent model this coming September, or next March.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.