Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple updated its iMac lineup in March with new processor and graphics options, but the latest 27-inch model appears to have a pricing mistake.

imac-pricing-issue.jpg

If you start with the $1,999 configuration and upgrade it to have a 3.6GHz eight-core Intel Core i9 processor, 16GB of RAM, and 512GB of SSD storage, the price totals $2,999 with Radeon Pro 575X graphics.

If you start with the $2,299 configuration and upgrade it with those exact same specs, the price also totals $2,999, but with Radeon Pro 580X graphics.

As best as we and the few readers who have tipped us about this issue can tell, there are no other differences between these configurations. As a result, an unknowing customer could end up paying $2,999 for the configuration with Radeon Pro 575X graphics when they could have had 580X graphics for the same price.

While this is a rather specific issue, we wanted to shine some attention on the matter so that others can avoid it, especially given that we have already received a few emails from readers about the matter.

We alerted Apple about this mistake, but they have yet to respond or correct the pricing.

(Thanks, Parker!)

Article Link: PSA: 27-Inch iMac Appears to Have a Pricing Mistake

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
this has been the case for a while, maybe on other iMacs too. I was pricing one out about a year ago and noticed the difference.

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014
I don’t think it’s a mistake.. a 575 and 580 are basically the same card. Apple are just being nice and giving a discount for the 580. How kind of apple!

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Apple have been doing this kind of thing for a very long time! When I got my Late 2013 MacBook Pro, there were two version available, one with an Nvidia GPU, and one without. If you specced them identically (in my case, I chose 2.6 GHz, 1 TB SSD, 16 GB RAM), you would find that the model with Nvidia would actually be cheaper!
[doublepost=1559750453][/doublepost]
Apple will probably get this quickly resolved…by jacking up the 580X configuration by a couple hundred bucks.

We should just be grateful the iMac still comes with a stand.

As it is right now, you can get it without a stand for just a little bit more ;)

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
This has been going on for quite a while. The GPU difference for my iMac 5K late-2015, at the same price, was exactly the same depending on which unit you started from.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Maybe it's the same faulty logic that caused the new monitor stand to show up as $999 during the WWDC presentation. ;)

iMac has been overdue for a redesign, I suspect the next iMac to resemble the front of Display XDR with Nano anti-reflection coating as an option and a similar Pro Stand that may not rotate.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
Apple will probably get this quickly resolved…by jacking up the 580X configuration by a couple hundred bucks.

We should just be grateful the iMac still comes with a stand.

That would be amazing if the iMac had a counterweighted, tilting, telescoping and rotating stand. I’d gladly pay an extra few hundred bucks for that! Not $999, obviously, but still!

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
I've seen this on other build-to-order configs. If you start with one base model, it can cost more or you don't get the better graphics card. Some configs can only get processors up to a certain level.

Since I have to decide on new Mac specs for my company every time they do a revision, I'm pretty aware of differences in their configurations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.