Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft has released a native Mac version of its To-Do app for the first time, meaning macOS users will no longer have to rely on company's the web app to access the to-do list service.

microsoft-to-do-mac-app.jpg

Microsoft To-Do is free on the Mac App Store, and offers users a personalized daily planner called My Day with suggested tasks, including tasks pulled from Outlook.
Got something on your mind? Get Microsoft To-Do. Whether you want to increase your productivity, decrease your stress levels or just clear up some mental space, Microsoft To-Do makes it easy to plan your day and manage your life.
The app features the ability to sync tasks across devices, attach files up to 25MB, create color-coded lists, break tasks into manageable steps, add notes to tasks, share tasks and lists, and set reminders,

The release of the Mac app on the Mac App Store [Direct Link] completes Microsoft's aim to bring native versions of the software to all platforms, including iOS, Windows, and Android.

(Via Thurrott.com)

Article Link: Microsoft To-Do App Now Available on the Mac App Store

Reactions: jer04

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I didn’t have an option to use anything other than MS at work, so I gave this a try, and it’s honestly a very good bit of software. Now that it’s cross platform and presumably included with Office 365, other to-do apps should feel a little anxiety. I’d take it over Things if I wanted to save some money. Adding files is a really handy feature.

//never thought I’d laud MS, but when it’s good, it’s good.

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
Obviously nothing beats OmniFocus, but To-Do is a very decent, free alternative.

I wonder if Wunderlist will be sunset’d now..?

Reactions: CarlJ

chekie

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
I think Things is best task management tool with great balance between functionality and simplicity. As comparison, Ominfocus is too complex and this new Microsoft To-Do seems to have less features.

socialwill

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
I never knew this existed till they ported it to the Mac. I’ll have to try it.
The nice thing is this is not just an app port, it was built 100% with AppKit. The UI is very fluid and smooth and overall very good. It is not 100% feature parity with the Windows version but they said dark mode is coming next along with Planner integration. Plus they are working on natural language entry similar to what Todoist has, so that will be great for quick entry.

Overall I will give this a try and see how it works.
[doublepost=1560868568][/doublepost]
I think Things is best task management tool with great balance between functionality and simplicity. As comparison, Ominfocus is too complex and this new Microsoft To-Do seems to have less features.
Things is a great app, but I wish it had a web UI and I can not share lists with Windows users. But the work they put into the app shows.
[doublepost=1560868668][/doublepost]
You'd be correct. They acquired 6Wunderkinder and then they started working on this. Pretty sure Wunderlist will be sunsetted once all of its core features are in Microsoft To-Do.

Microsoft ToDo is supposed to be the foundation for all task based items in Office 365; Outlook, Planner, OneNote, etc. It has been rolling out to more and more services and yes it will sunset Wunderlist at some point.

Reactions: c0ppo and Junior117

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
This looks really good - it's the tie in to Siri and being able to add reminders is what keeps me tied to iCloud. I use Fantastical 2 because I don't like the Reminders interface, but this does look good.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
That's subjective

Agreed, although I think Omnifocus is a good package. I just think that most people truly do not need all that it offers, and it's pricey. My best "average joe" task management strategy comes down to using Due for most things because it ensures that whatever I want to do will get done, and then something like Things or To-Do for the catch-all inbox of things I want to do at some point, or larger multi-step kind of projects. A number of years back, I drank the kool-aid on Omnifucus thanks to David Sparks offering it as some sort of panacea for task management, and I spent loads of cash and many months frustrated trying to figure out how to make my simple workflows fit in to its complex framework. Turns out I just needed to track things so as not to forget them, and be nagged to do them. *shrug*

If To-Do comes with Office 365 and you use that anyway, there's seriously no reason to use Things, IMO. If you're a lawyer with scores of clients and a family and six podcasts and god knows what else on the go at one time, then yeah, maybe you do need Omnifocus. I myself never want to be *that* busy.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I didn’t have an option to use anything other than MS at work, so I gave this a try, and it’s honestly a very good bit of software. Now that it’s cross platform and presumably included with Office 365, other to-do apps should feel a little anxiety. I’d take it over Things if I wanted to save some money. Adding files is a really handy feature.

//never thought I’d laud MS, but when it’s good, it’s good.
The Todo app has been cross platform since the introduction to iOS in 2017.
Macrumors 4-19-17: Microsoft Debuts New 'To-Do' Wunderlist Replacement
I believe this is built as a successor to Wunderlist / by the same team, so probably eventually.
Yeah that's what's suppose to happen but it taking a h'll of a long time:
Microsoft’s Wunderlist acquisition is getting complicated
They purchased Wunderlist in 2015.

Reactions: AppleInLVX

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
I've been an Office365 subscriber for several years, and I like it. So I downloaded the To-Do App onto the iPhone and started adding Tasks,' and the sync to the desktop is instantaneous! It's a very clean interface, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that MS doesn't junk it up.

venusboy

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
So apparently they don’t support on-premises Exchange accounts. Pity, this looked promising...

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
This looks surprisingly like a modern Cocoa app, reminiscent of the designs Apple showed this month. I hope that this will extend to Office one day.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009

2DO has been my go to app for simplicity while still being able to manage complex tasks. MS will have to do a lot to make me switch and with MS’s history of data slurping I try to limit my use of their products as much as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.