Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be working on full Project Catalyst versions of Messages and Shortcuts for Mac, according to hints of the new apps found by developer Steve Troughton-Smith.

shortcutsformac-800x534.jpg

Hidden Shortcuts for Mac code running on macOS Catalina, via Steve Troughton-Smith​

Last, Troughton-Smith found that the Project Catalyst software on macOS Catalina includes Shortcuts frameworks suggesting a future Shortcuts for Mac app, and now it appears Apple is also working on a Catalyst version of the Messages app.

There is a whole lot of evidence in Catalina that they're working on a full, Catalyst version of Messages, much like Shortcuts for Mac. So, just like Shortcuts, I decided to cut to the chase and do it myself by calling the system frameworks. Voilà pic.twitter.com/IsXKrGpemd - Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith) June 19, 2019

Much of the UIKit Messages app is functional on macOS, using the native Catalyst UI from the macOS Catalina system frameworks. iMessage Effects, for example, are functional.

And, just for reference: this isn't a 'marzipanified' version of the Messages app from the iOS Simulator. This is the 'native' Catalyst UI coming from the macOS 10.15 system frameworks. Just like Shortcuts, it's all there, and mostly works if you know how to talk to it pic.twitter.com/VO59kPbbVY - Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith) June 19, 2019

iMessage Effects! pic.twitter.com/e6VM0xa6g4 - Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith) June 19, 2019

Apple made no mention of an overhauled Messages app or bringing Shortcuts to Mac when introducing macOS Catalina, so these features could be reserved for a future Catalina release that's perhaps coming later in the year.

Article Link: Code in macOS Catalina Suggests Apple is Working on Catalyst Versions of Messages and Shortcuts for Mac

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I use iMessage a lot in macOS, so that's pretty neat. Bring on the feature parity.

Not sure about Shortcuts though, how that would affect Automator.

Reactions: augustrushrox

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
Good! Messages needs an overhaul. Shortcuts will be nice too. I don’t think people should be worried it’ll replace Automator, otherwise they wouldn’t have bothered with proper Finder integration.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Oh, I hope to. Messages stutters, stalls and causes the fans to go crazy when first opening it on MacOS. It’s hooked to my office’s Exchange servers and there are thousands and thousands of contacts and I think that’s why it stutters. It’s fine on iOS.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Project Marzipan is just a glorified Electron framework. I refuse to run such garbage apps as Electron ones as I would rather run flash apps. Native apps only, Apple, or you'll set a terrible precedent here.
Rather run flash apps? What year are we in? Wha?!

If Catalyst works well and there are no major problems, what's the big deal? Suddenly the Mac is filled with apps and developers, paving the way (hopefully) toward ARM Macs.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I'm excited for the possible Messages redesign. I use Messages on my Mac almost as much as I do on my iPhone and I'm really excited to see what it'll be like.

Shortcuts I rarely use. So I won't touch that.

Reactions: drumcat

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Project Marzipan is just a glorified Electron framework. I refuse to run such garbage apps as Electron ones as I would rather run flash apps. Native apps only, Apple, or you'll set a terrible precedent here.
In what way is this non-native? The binaries are compiled for x86, and the frameworks are built into the OS, right? Electron is Javascript scum.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Rather run flash apps? What year are we in? Wha?!

If Catalyst works well and there are no major problems, what's the big deal? Suddenly the Mac is filled with apps and developers, paving the way (hopefully) toward ARM Macs.
This has nothing to do with ARM, unless there's some CPU emulation going on, which I doubt.
[doublepost=1560994741][/doublepost]
The jury is still out.
Then it sounds like you're quick to judge (heh) if you say you refuse to participate.

Reactions: Oberhorst

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
The real goodness is in one of his recent blog posts...

https://www.highcaffeinecontent.com...g-an-ARM-iOS-App-to-Intel-macOS-Using-Bitcode

Stuff like

> you can statically translate binaries between Intel and ARM if they include Bitcode. It really works!

and

> Apple could use Bitcode to translate every Bitcode-enabled app on the Mac App Store, without consulting developers, so it would be ready to go on day one. This kind of power means Apple needn’t preannounce an ARM switch a year ahead of time, and also means a technology like Rosetta may be completely unnecessary this time round.

Lyoha

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Virginia

Electron is basically a chrome-less Chromium browser rendering a web app inside. Project Catalyst is rendering natively on macOS but using the UIKit API rather than AppKit API. Both UI kits are using Cocoa underneath the surface AFAIK. Sure, the current design of Catalyst/Marzipan apps is garbage, but it is native and has absolutely nothing to do with Electron. Finally, how is Flash relevant at all in this conversation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.