Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced the launch of a voluntary recall and replacement program for 15-inch MacBook Pro models with Retina display sold between September 2015 and February 2017 due to battery failure issues. Affected batteries may overheat and pose a fire safety risk.

Customers are being asked to stop using affected MacBook Pro units until they can take steps to have their batteries replaced following Apple's instructions. Apple says affected units in need of replacement can be identified by entering a Mac's serial number in the recall program page.

macbookpro-800x418.jpg

The recall affects just the 15-inch MacBook Pro from 2015 and does not impact later models released in 2016 and beyond. Those with 15-inch 2015 machines are instructed to find an Apple authorized service provider, make an appointment at an Apple retail store, or contact Apple's support staff to arrange a mail-in repair.

Apple warns that the MacBook Pro will be sent to an Apple Repair Center for service in all cases and that service could take one to two weeks to be completed. Batteries will be replaced free of charge.

Earlier this year, a video of a MacBook Pro that caught on fire and produced copious amounts of smoke made the rounds on Twitter and Reddit. The machine in question was a 2015 MacBook Pro with a 15-inch Retina display, and it could potentially be linked to the recall.

macbook-pro-smoking.jpg
Given that affected 15-inch MacBook Pro models are in danger of overheating and catching on fire, those with machines that need a replacement battery should be sure to visit an Apple retail store or get in contact with Apple support before continuing to use their Macs.

Article Link: Apple Launches Recall and Replacement Program for Batteries in 2015 15-Inch MacBook Pro With Retina Display

Last edited:

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
A couple years ago my macbook pro 15" battery threw an error and was replaced for free during a screen replacement. The battery wasn't part of the job so I was pleasantly surprised. Guess they're officially doing it to all 15" retina macbook pro's now.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Guess I got lucky having a June 2015 model. I replaced the battery in mine recently due to old age.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
My mid 2012 MBP battery is still going strong. Hardly ever leaves my desk except for field trips to family.

Spartan Weaver

Suspended
Jan 15, 2019
Colorado
Awesome, mine got fixed last year apparently when I had to send it in twice for 2 top case replacements.

From apple SN verification
The serial number you entered is not eligible under this program because either:

• It's not in the affected serial number range.
  • Our records show that your device has already been serviced as part of this Program.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Hmmm, got this model. Bought it new in between the dates they provided, but it's not eligible. Strange.

Reactions: m6r4

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
My 2015 13" MBP spends most of its time in clamshell mode, in a twelve south vertical stand, half hidden behind my monitor and I use an external KB and Magic Trackpad 2.. Not having to reboot very often, I pay little attention to it. One time last year, something hung and I had to actually open it up to get at the power button for a shutdown/restart. The attached pics are what I saw! Took it to my local Apple Service Provider (not a Best Buy). They replaced the battery (obviously), lower case and keyboard ) and maybe the trackpad (don't exactly remember. All under warranty and had it back to me late the next day! I was pleasantly surprised at the quick turnaround and glad the thing didn't explode. MBP_case_bulge.jpg MBP_trackpad_bulge.jpg

wjdavis

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2017
I have a mid 2015 MBP and it says it isn't eligible for replacement?! It's never been repaired previously.

When did you buy it? Within the time frame identified in the article? I bought mine last year and put my serial number in just for the hell of it, and it says mine isn't eligible either, which is consistent with the article.

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Another day another Apple recall. Had to pay for a replacement battery on my late 2013 because it started expanding, rendering the trackpad useless. A year later the SSD/Logic board died.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Another day another Apple recall. Had to pay for a replacement battery on my late 2013 because it started expanding, rendering the trackpad useless. A year later the SSD/Logic board died.

Dude get a Dell! Everyone knows their products last and their customer service is great! (snide snicker)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.