Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios13icon.jpg
Apple has released the first public beta of iOS 13 for compatible iPhone and iPod touch models, enabling users who aren't signed up for the Apple Developer Program to test the software update ahead of its official release in the fall.

iOS 13 introduces a swathe of new features and improvements, including a systemwide Dark Mode, a Find My app, a revamped Photos app and new Camera capabilities, new Siri voice, updated privacy features, new street-level view for Maps, and more.

That said, iOS 13 is pre-release software, so installing the Public Beta on a secondary device is highly recommended. The stability of beta software cannot be guaranteed, as it often contains bugs and issues that have yet to be ironed out, so installing it on your day-to-day device isn't advised.

Is iOS 13 Compatible With My iPhone or iPod touch?

Apple's list of compatible devices confirms that iOS 13 is compatible with all of these iPhones:

[*]iPhone XS
[*]iPhone XS Max
[*]iPhone XR
[*]iPhone X
[*]iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
[*]iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
[*]iPhone SE
[*]iPhone 6s and 6s Plus
[*]iPod touch (7th-generation)

Installing the Public Beta shouldn't take longer than half an hour, but first you should create a backup of your device's contents and settings. The following step-by-step instructions are given for iPhone, but apply to iPod touch just the same.

How to Create a Backup of Your Device in iTunes
  1. Connect your iOS device to a Mac or PC using a Lightning to USB cable.
    Open iTunes.
    Click the device's icon in the top-left menu.
    backup-ios-device-1-800x363.jpg

Under Backups, click This computer.
    Tick the Encrypt iPhone backup checkbox if you want to back up your login credentials and any Health and HomeKit data.
    backup-ios-device-2-800x305.jpg

Click Back Up Now.
    Click iTunes -> Preferences... in the macOS menu bar.
    Click the Devices tab.
    backup-ios-device-3-800x689.jpg

Right-click (or Ctrl-click) the new backup, and select Archive from the contextual dropdown menu.
How to Enroll in the Apple Beta Software Program
Now that you've backed up your device, you're ready to download the iOS 13 Public Beta. To do so, you must enroll your iPhone or iPod touch in the free Apple Beta Software Program.
  1. Open Safari on your iOS device and navigate to the Apple Beta Software Program.
    Tap the Sign up button, or sign in if you're already a member.
    Enter your Apple ID credentials and tap the Sign in button.
    Agree to the Apple Beta Software Program terms and conditions if necessary.
    A Guide for Public Betas screen will appear. Select the iOS tab, scroll down to the Get Started section and tap enroll your iOS device.
    On the Enroll Your Devices screen, with the iOS tab selected, scroll down and tap the Download profile button.
    how-to-install-ios-13-public-beta-on-iphone-2.jpg

Tap "iPhone" when prompted to choose a device.
    Tap Allow.
    Launch the Settings app on your iOS device and then tap Profile Downloaded below your Apple ID banner.
    how-to-install-ios-13-public-beta-on-iphone.jpg

Tap Install and follow the prompts to install the iOS Beta Software Profile.
  2. Restart your device after installing the profile by tapping the restart popup.
How to Install the iOS 13 Public Beta
Once you're enrolled in the Apple Beta Software Program, you can install the iOS 13 Public Beta on your iOS device just as you would a regular software update.
  1. Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPod touch.
    Tap General.
    Tap Software Update.
    ios-13-public-beta-download-and-install.jpeg

Tap Download and Install.
    Tap Install Now.

If you come across any issues installing the iOS 13 Public Beta, it may help to clear any previous profiles lingering on your device. You can find these in the Settings app under General -> Profile.

Article Link: How to Install iOS 13 Public Beta on iPhone

57n

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2017
Mine won't update... It's getting stuck at the verifying update screen, then times out indicating it failed.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
If Apple is discontinuing iTunes why are they still requiring it to install iOS 13?

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
Their Beta site is down

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/2.2.15 (Oracle) Server at xseedapps2.apple.com Port 443

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
When I make my backup, will I need the same amount of disk space on my MBP with iTunes as the backup uses on iCloud? Or is there a way I can just save/archive my current iCloud backup?

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
When I make my backup, will I need the same amount of disk space on my MBP with iTunes as the backup uses on iCloud? Or is there a way I can just save/archive my current iCloud backup?
You can just have your iCloud backup, but it is advised to do local. The backup is primarily for the “oh crap something went wrong” or “... I really need to downgrade to iOS 12”. The most recent backup gives you the most back if you are in either of those scenarios. In all my years (since Apple allowed public betas) I have never had to use my backup except to hop back to the previous os.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
You can just have your iCloud backup, but it is advised to do local. The backup is primarily for the “oh crap something went wrong” or “... I really need to downgrade to iOS 12”. The most recent backup gives you the most back if you are in either of those scenarios. In all my years (since Apple allowed public betas) I have never had to use my backup except to hop back to the previous os.
Couldn’t I just rename my iPhone after I install the beta, that way a brand new iCloud backup is created and the previous backup, with the old iPhone name, remains in my iCloud account until I manually delete it or need it as you suggested?

patrickvanzandt

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
U.S.A.
Couldn’t I just rename my iPhone after I install the beta, that way a brand new iCloud backup is created and the previous backup, with the old iPhone name, remains in my iCloud account until I manually delete it or need it as you suggested?

Although I have not tested this personally to confirm either way, I am *extremely* doubtful that Apple is using the Device Name is the unique identifier for iCloud backups. Imagine the poor user experience if someone renamed their iPhone and all of a sudden had to re-upload their entire data set to iCloud in order to get a backup. Instead they are likely using the device serial number (or a hash of it).

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Are the steps mostly the same for ipadOS? And is Catalina required? Can I roll back on Mojave iTunes backup?

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
iCloud usually has several backups that you can revert to.

I had to downgrade my iPad last night (markup for pdf’s in files and an AirPrint bug caused me to seriously regret it), when I went to roll back I had several iCloud options to choose from. When in doubt absolutely do a local backup. You could also start fresh and definitely have multiple backups to draw from.

You may also be able to see available backups on iCloud (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204215).

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
So far so good. Just installed 13. Browsing seems quicker. None of what I do is critical to me making a living with my devices so enjoy hunting around for holes and bugs...

jst_testing

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2017
Great public beta build so far. Minor issues around animations and a few apps crashing but battery life hasn’t been affected...so far...

Love the Reminders app! Sweet spot before using Things

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.