Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded fourth beta of an upcoming tvOS 13 update to developers, two weeks after seeding the third beta and more than a month after unveiling the tvOS 13 software at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

Designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV, the new tvOS 13 developer beta can be downloaded onto the Apple TV via a profile that's installed using Xcode.

tvos13-800x490.jpg

tvOS 13 introduces an updated Home screen aimed at making it easier to discover new content. Apps are now able to play full-screen video previews right on the Home screen, similar to Netflix.

Multi-user support is available for the first time, letting more than one profile exist on the Apple TV so each family member can have their own customized Apple TV interface with separate recommendations, music playlists, and Watch Now lists.

Switching between profiles can be done with the new Control Center, which offers up profiles, the time and date, search, a Now Playing widget, AirPlay controls, and a sleep option.

tvOS 13 gets the Apple TV ready for Apple Arcade, Apple's new gaming service that's coming to the Apple TV, iOS, iPadOS, and macOS later this year. Apple Arcade will offer unlimited access to more than 100 new and exclusive games, for one subscription fee.

As part of the Apple Arcade preparations, Apple has implemented support for the Xbox Wireless Bluetooth Controller and the PlayStation DualShock 4 Controller, both of which can be connected to an Apple TV over Bluetooth.

There are new under the sea themed screensavers created in partnership with the BBC Natural History Unit, which also created "Blue Planet." There's also a new Picture-in-Picture feature. Picture-in-Picture lets you continue to watch TV shows or movies while using a different app, adjusting settings, or otherwise navigating through the tvOS 13 operating system.

tvos13pictureinpicture-800x428.jpg

tvOS 13 is available to registered developers and public beta testers at this time and will see an official public launch this fall alongside iOS 13, iPadOS, macOS Catalina, and watchOS 6.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of Upcoming tvOS 13 Update to Developers

AlyMourad

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Egypt
Buggiest beta ever! So far, I mean. As far as tvOS 13 goes. Hopefully, this release fixes something.

Yeah. And Apple TV 4K doesn’t have a USB port to restore if something goes wrong. I learned that the hard way. Now I have a paperweight Apple TV and a new one arriving in a few days

Reactions: ErikGrim

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Nice to see the Competitive Pro used for the Arcade App. Hopefully the service will be equally competitive.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
And for those of us not opted in for Beta and yet still their AppleTV keeps downloading and installing the beta. GRRRRRRR!!!!!

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Got the public beta installed on one of my Apple TVs and it refuses to wake from sleep, forcing me to pull the power plug each time. Hoping this is fixed in beta 4/pb3.

JMC08

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
How do you enable Picture in Picture on the beta? I can't figure it out...is it only on iTunes Store videos?

JWort93

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Got the public beta installed on one of my Apple TVs and it refuses to wake from sleep, forcing me to pull the power plug each time. Hoping this is fixed in beta 4/pb3.

Hold the home and menu buttons together on the Siri remote, until the power light on the Apple TV starts blinking. That will also force the Apple TV to restart without pulling the plug, even if the device is stuck in sleep mode.

Reactions: ErikGrim and eekcat

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
can someone tell me the new build number? not sure if mine has updated. i kept getting an error. and then i agreed to the beta agreements and now it says it’s up to date

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Hold the home and menu buttons together on the Siri remote, until the power light on the Apple TV starts blinking. That will also force the Apple TV to restart without pulling the plug, even if the device is stuck in sleep mode.
Unfortunately the kids are holding the Siri remote hostage at an unknown location.

norbinhouston

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Houston
I also made the mistake of downloading TVOSls 13. Its horrible to say the least. Lots of apps aren't working well. Heck, Trailers doesn't even load! Can't wait for the update. Hurry Apple!

Reactions: ErikGrim

alichoudhry

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2015
I just learnt you can now connect AirPods and HomePod + TV all at once and continue hearing through AirPods.

malrahbi

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2019
Oman
How did you active this? It's not showing up on my Apple TV devices. I have autoplay enabled in the motion settings.

For me, it Auto-play the Music videos only, but not the Films or Library.
I want to know how can I Auto-play the Films section.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Yeah. And Apple TV 4K doesn’t have a USB port to restore if something goes wrong. I learned that the hard way. Now I have a paperweight Apple TV and a new one arriving in a few days

Like wise. Mine was out of the Apple Care period too and they didn’t even hesitate to replace it for free when they found out it was caused by TVOS 13.

Although I was really enjoying PS4 Controller support I’m just going to stick with retail for now as none of my apps are going to benefit from anything revealed in TVOS 13 at the moment.

AlyMourad

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Egypt
Like wise. Mine was out of the Apple Care period too and they didn’t even hesitate to replace it for free when they found out it was caused by TVOS 13.

Although I was really enjoying PS4 Controller support I’m just going to stick with retail for now as none of my apps are going to benefit from anything revealed in TVOS 13 at the moment.

Yeah, mine is out of warranty as well. The problem is I live in Egypt and we only have authorized service centers here and those will probably charge me for replacement (based on past experiences). I bought a new one till I or someone I know travel abroad.

It sucks cause it can very easily be fixed if there was a USB port. Anyway yeah I actually was excited for the underwater screensavers lol but those didn't work yet so I'll wait too. Glad they replaced it for you

tle2721

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2019
This beta brick my Apple TV 4k.

With the previous beta, the Apple TV won't turn on after went to sleep unless I unplug and plug the power cable. With this beta, the Apple TV won't turn on no matter what I do.

Unlike others, Apple Store (Lincoln Park - Chicago) won't replace my Apple TV unless I pay them 149 dollars. Apple Support, on the other hand, says that it is the users' risk to install the Public Beta and the software cannot brick the device -- yet we have at least four here.

So it may be in your best interest to reverse the usual software before it bricks your devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.