Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is renewing its "Carpool Karaoke: The Series" show for a third season, Apple announced on YouTube today via James Corden's YouTube channel. The new season is already in production and will feature an episode with the cast of hit Netflix show "Stranger Things."

First launched in 2017, "Carpool Karaoke: The Series" is based on the "Carpool Karaoke" segment made popular by late night talk show host James Corden.

Apple's version of the show pairs up celebrities, musicians, athletes, and more, putting them in a car together to sing popular songs.

Last season featured pairings like Jason Sudeikis and the Muppets, Matthew McConaughey and Snoop Dogg, Weird Al paired and Andy Samberg, Nick Offerman and his wife Megan Mullally, Brie Larson and Samuel L. Jackson, and more.

While "Carpool Karaoke: The Series" was initially developed as a way to promote Apple Music, Apple has been making the episodes available for free through the TV app. Previously, it was limited to Apple Music subscribers.

The second season of "Carpool Karaoke: The Series" began airing in October 2018, so third season episodes could come this fall.

Article Link: Apple Renews 'Carpool Karaoke' for a Third Season

diego

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2003
Canada & Mexico
This is so cringe... as much of Apple's entertainment industry efforts. Is it that hard to focus on great tech? (software, hardware, supporting services - why is TV a supporting service is anyone's guess) This is what happens when investors have so much power and want their hands and say in the billions that Apple has. It's actually really sad and concerning.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I don't blame them. The production on this is super cheap and (most) celebs love being the center of attention - especially when it lines up with promotion of a new product.

Yup.

I never have seen an episode, any probably never will, but I understand why Apple would want to renew this.

Like you said, the production cost on a show like this is most likely super cheap, especially when compared to most quality shows.

It is the same reason that so many networks produce reality shows. It is also like all the cheesy horror movies that keep getting sequels. It isn't because they are particularly good shows/movies, it is because they are so cheap to make, and can easily make many times the production costs.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
This is so cringe... as much of Apple's entertainment industry efforts. Is it that hard to focus on great tech? (software, hardware, supporting services - why is TV a supporting service is anyone's guess) This is what happens when investors have so much power and want their hands and say in the billions that Apple has. It's actually really sad and concerning.
Why is it cringe if it's working? Carpool Karaoke is very successful. Apple can do many different things as they grow.

Again, just because you don't like a hardware/software decision, doesn't mean it's directly the result of another effort you don't like or that better "focus" would fix it.

Reactions: lunarworks

Dirtfarmer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
FIRE THE ACCOUNTANT

Get back to focusing on the core business, which is falling apart.

Macs are only 6% of computer sold, mobile sales have fallen off a cliff, bluetooth speakers didn't work out, digital assistant is objectively bad, watch sales have plateaued, iTunes discontinued because it sucks, and your laptop keyboards quit working after awhile.

But you are putting money into podcasts, youtube video series, inventing new colours of watch band, and buying rap star headphone companies whose products are overpriced and make bad sound.

Like COME ON. Priorities!

#FIRETHEACCOUNTANT

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
cuz nobody at  headquarters has the courage to kill it. It would be an admission of failure
The fact that a third season is on its way tells me it's anything but a failure

Unlike most people here (by the sounds of it) I just ignore things I don't care for, but it seems plenty of other people outside Macrumors like it, so who can blame Apple for supporting one of their successes

Reactions: atmenterprises

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
The fact that a third season is on its way tells me it's anything but a failure

Unlike most people here (by the sounds of it) I just ignore things I don't care for, but it seems plenty of other people outside Macrumors like it, so who can blame Apple for supporting one of their successes

This short form content is so cheap to produce, that it’d be hard for it to even be considered a failure.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Not my cup of tea but I don’t expect everything produced by Apple to be made to appeal to me. Clearly, people like the show and there’s demand for future seasons.

Hits like this one will help AppleTV+ grow and finance future shows that those of us who don’t like Carpool Karaoke will like instead.

Whether we like it or not, Carpool Karaoke was the precursor to shows like For All Mankind and other high production value shows that are coming.

Last edited:

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
FIRE THE ACCOUNTANT

Get back to focusing on the core business, which is falling apart.

Macs are only 6% of computer sold, mobile sales have fallen off a cliff, bluetooth speakers didn't work out, digital assistant is objectively bad, watch sales have plateaued, iTunes discontinued because it sucks, and your laptop keyboards quit working after awhile.

But you are putting money into podcasts, youtube video series, inventing new colours of watch band, and buying rap star headphone companies whose products are overpriced and make bad sound.

Like COME ON. Priorities!

#FIRETHEACCOUNTANT
Calm down

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.