Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Right to Repair advocates continue to lobby the U.S. government, arguing that large tech companies like Apple are monopolizing repairs of consumer electronics in order to preserve profits, reports Axios.

ifixit-2018-mbp-800x534.jpeg
Image: iFixit.com

In testimony before the U.S. House Judiciary Subcommittee on Antitrust, Commercial and Administrative Law last month, Nathan Proctor of the non-profit U.S. Public Interest Research Group claimed that "repair hurts sales," giving Apple "an incentive to restrict repair of their devices."

Similarly, in a letter submitted to the subcommittee last month, The Repair Association's executive director Gay Gordon-Byrne wrote that "manufacturers have no reasons for blocking repair other than money," referring to the "monopolization of repair" as a "huge profit opportunity."

In March, California became the 20th state to introduce Right to Repair legislation in the U.S., according to iFixit. Apple representatives have continually opposed these bills, which if passed would require companies to make repair parts, tools, and documentation available to the public.

In a statement, an Apple spokesperson told Axios that Apple's goal is to ensure its products are "repaired safely and correctly," while touting the company's growing network of Apple Authorized Service Providers:
We want to make sure our customers always have confidence their products will be repaired safely and correctly, and in a way that supports recycling. We are continually growing our network of certified technicians and most recently announced that any Best Buy store in the U.S. is now an authorized service provider.
Apple Authorized Service Providers have access to certified parts and service guidelines from Apple. There are over 1,800 of these authorized locations in the United States, which Apple said is "three times as many locations as three years ago." As of June, that includes every Best Buy store in the country.

Right to Repair legislation aims to make these parts and documentation available to independent shops and customers directly.

Article Link: Apple on Right to Repair: We Want Customers to Be Confident Their Products Will Be 'Repaired Safely and Correctly'

Reactions: rasvoja

Packdude

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
I'm a fan of the Apple products that I own, but this is a load of bs. If the repair is not repaired 'correctly', that's between the consumer and the repair shop. Places that do bad repairs will become known as such and people will avoid them. In the mean time, places that do good repair work will save consumers thousands of dollars every year, which is money that wouldn't go to Apple, hence why they don't want anyone else repairing the hardware they make.

HardRain

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
It's obvious why they are doing it, just wish Apple would be honest about it, sick of all the hypocrisy. From slowing down devices, to non upgradable Macs, its all about profit, which is fine, but just stop pretending its for the consumers.

MotorMikey

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
Ensure it’s repaired “safely and correctly”… right.
While I don’t disagree, if people are allowed to repair their cars - objects that weigh thousands of pounds and transports people at high speeds - then yeah, it’s not unreasonable for a person to expect to be able to replace the battery on their phone.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I see Apple's side but I also disagree with it. Their repair pricing is insane and having worked at Apple I know that most of the repairs are actually not repairs. They just replace the broken part and thats it. You could easily train anyone with decent skill to be able to repair anything. Its not very complicated.
So, I suppose I would be for this change even though I don't live in US. However, once its in US the parts will be easily available elsewhere too. So yeah, lets go for this :)

Siannath

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Lima, Perú
I love Apple products but they are being greedy ****s and Louis Rossmann is right about Apple in repair issues.

I hope a strong Right to Repair legislation is effective soon.

Also, Apple wants to sell the image of being a eco-friendly company... but replacing things is not eco-friendly. Repairing things is.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I'm a fan of the Apple products that I own, but this is a load of bs. If the repair is not repaired 'correctly', that's between the consumer and the repair shop. Places that do bad repairs will become known as such and people will avoid them. In the mean time, places that do good repair work will save consumers thousands of dollars every year, which is money that wouldn't go to Apple, hence why they don't want anyone else repairing the hardware they make.
Until it blows up or catches fire. Then it must be Apple’s fault and it’s time to sue.

Ronlap

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
No problem Apple. Design for repairability and sell the parts. Even if my 84 y.o. mum can't repair her phone, I should be able to do it for her. #1 would be battery replacement.
[doublepost=1565186759][/doublepost]
Those who would give up essential rights of reparability, to purchase a little safety, deserve neither reparability nor safety.

I see what you did there...

Until it blows up or catches fire. Then it must be Apple’s fault and it’s time to sue.

If they are designed for repairability, this shouldn't happen.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
So what Apple is saying that, because they are Apple, their products are more deserving of inflated repair prices?

I've no doubt that the real reason for this is to control brand reputation (almost impossible if a repair shop screws up your Dad's MacBook and he proceeds to complain on the internet). But consumer choice is what matters.

farkingdom

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
I have a iPhone 7 Plus which I wiped with alcohol wipes and the alcohol magically slipped inside the screen and now I have a dead brick. Repairing it cost nearly or close to the price of a new iPhone 7 Plus sold under discount here.
Why is it so expensive?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.