Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TP-Link today announced that it has abandoned its plans to add HomeKit support to its Kasa Smart Plug Mini.

tp-link-kasa-smart-plug.jpg

From a new support document on TP-Link's website via Reddit:
Due to changes in our roadmap, the Kasa Smart Plug Mini (HS105) smart plug will not offer support for Apple HomeKit. Despite the change in direction for this specific SKU, our team is committed to the development of innovative smart home solutions that will continue to delight our customers around the globe.
TP-Link originally planned to add HomeKit support to the smart plug in early 2019, a promise that it has now broken.

Fortunately, HomeKit-enabled smart plugs are quite common, with a wide variety of options available from brands such as Eve, iDevices, iHome, and Wemo. They can be used to conveniently turn on and off TVs, lamps, coffee machines, and other household objects with an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple Watch.

Article Link: TP-Link's Kasa Smart Plug Mini Won't Support HomeKit After All

richie510

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2013
Denver, CO
Is HomeKit somehow harder to implement, or more expensive to license? Why do so many devices automatically support Alexa and Google, but HomeKit is a side project? After Apple removed the hardware restriction, it just baffles me that every product supporting Google and Alexa do not support HomeKit as well.

grobik

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
Is HomeKit somehow harder to implement, or more expensive to license? Why do so many devices automatically support Alexa and Google, but HomeKit is a side project? After Apple removed the hardware restriction, it just baffles me that every product supporting Google and Alexa do not support HomeKit as well.

when the decision makers look at these devices they look at smart speakers as being the controller. In this market Apple is still way behind on market share. In sure Apple also charges a premium to license as well as most likely being more involved coding wise to implement due to the higher security standards. You also have to look at the global market. The US is the main country using newer iOS devices. I was always struck when I’d go to Europe to see the majority of iPhones you see on the street are 3-4 year old models.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Like Apple TV, Apple lead charge with hardware restrictions.
Could be do to that now no one cares that the restrictions have been lifted.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Question, could you get your money back if you bought this plug after they promised Homekit support, they lied to you so I guess it should, but then again, this is the US, unlike in Europe customers have a lot more protection.

whoknows2597

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2019
Man I’m looking for a HomeKit smart plug. Are there any good ones out there? I want to start “smartifying” my home before taking a deep dive on the more expensive products.

I’m not sure how you feel about this company, but I purchased a Wemo Mini that is compatible with HomeKit. I set it up to turn my fan on and off through Automations and it works perfectly aside from a few hiccups. I may purchase a few more if Belkin makes some that are even more compact.

Reactions: bchery21 and C347

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
Man I’m looking for a HomeKit smart plug. Are there any good ones out there? I want to start “smartifying” my home before taking a deep dive on the more expensive products.

Looking for the same -- preferably a three-plug outlet. I have a photography studio and I would love to control my continuous lights via HomeKit.

Reactions: bchery21

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
I really like Eve for indoor. I also have the iDevices Outdoor plug, it’s alright but seems slightly less reliable on Wi-Fi than Eve’s Bluetooth plug.

brownpaw

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
I have several of these TP-Link devices and I really like them. I can’t say dropping HomeKit plans kills them for me (or promised HomeKit support was a buying factor) but it’s certainly disappointing.

Reactions: jhtrico1850

whoknows2597

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2019
Looking for the same -- preferably a three-plug outlet. I have a photography studio and I would love to control my continuous lights via HomeKit.

Hmm. In your case, a power strip may be best if you have separate plugs. Although I’m not sure how they work, ie. if each plug is independently operated, but if you want to turn all the lights on or off simultaneously, then the strip will work for you.

They are priced a bit higher than standard power strips, but naming a few, Eve or VOCOlinc may work for you. They do not require any hubs or bridges, however if you have a HomePod, it acts like one to connect all your smart accessories.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
This really sucks. My smart home is a mixture of Homepods and Alexa and in the UK and I suspect Europe, there are no smart plugs available that support Homekit, Alexa and Google.
HomeKit support in Europe is pretty dire.
I guess I will have to wait for Phillips to deliver on its promises for a smart plug.

grobik

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
I’ve been using an idevices three prong plug for years without a problem. Has a nice color changing night light on it too with a manual switch on the side. It’s actually the most reliable HomeKit device I’ve ever used. My dad even uses one on his electric car charger. Holds up.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Question, could you get your money back if you bought this plug after they promised Homekit support, they lied to you so I guess it should, but then again, this is the US, unlike in Europe customers have a lot more protection.

I had an email exchange with their support a few weeks ago and they had a path for refunds. Unfortunately, I paid cash for mine at Target and didn’t keep the receipts so I’m SOL. I was able to sell them locally for a little less than I paid so it worked out.

I’ve gone with Lutron products. The plug itself is about 2x the cost of this TP-Link option and it requires a hub(which is an additional cost as well). However, it offers dimming and the hub allows the smart devices to operate on their own dedicated wireless network instead of on the crowded 2.4GHz band.

Last edited:

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
this is why people who want HA shouldn't half@$$ it. learn that there are things like Zigbee and z wave, and if nothing else use a raspberry pi and either HomeAssistant or OpenHAB.

my TP-Link Kasa's have been homekit devices for years now
as has everything else that has smart functionality despite what the manufacturers do.
why rely on these lying companies with their empty promises with delayed or unreleased implementations that don't work as well.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

Honestly, I'd be surprised if it wasn't down to two things: Apple doesn't hand them everything to implement it, and Apple will never EVER give them any metrics regarding usage. I am dead convinced that user metrics are available to OEMs who use Alexa and Google, and they get some kind of incentive for sales driven by those products and the ads that come from that data.
[doublepost=1565627564][/doublepost]
this is why people who want HA shouldn't half@$$ it. learn that there are things like Zigbee and z wave, and if nothing else use a raspberry pi and either HomeAssistant or OpenHAB.

my TP-Link Kasa's have been homekit devices for years now
as has everything else that has smart functionality despite what the manufacturers do.
why rely on these lying companies with their empty promises with delayed or unreleased implementations that don't work as well.

Exhibit A: The RING DOORBELL.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

Not worth the effort. Apple smart speaker share is tiny.

Reactions: jhtrico1850
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.