Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

If you're on the hunt for an iMac this week, Amazon has introduced a few sales on the latest models of Apple's desktop computer. This includes discounts on all three of the 27-inch Retina 5K iMacs that were updated back in March, which are all lowest-ever prices.

27inchimac-1.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Deals start with the 3.0 GHz 6-Core iMac that has 8 GB of RAM and 1 TB of storage for $1,649.00, down from $1,799.00. In total, Amazon's sales amount to as much as $200 off Apple's prices for these brand-new iMac models, and B&H Photo is matching each price.

2019 27-Inch iMac Sale

[*]3.0 GHz 6-Core, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB - $1,649.00, down from $1,799.00 ($150 off, lowest ever) [B&H]
[*]3.1 GHz 6-Core, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB - $1,799.00, down from $1,999.00 ($200 off, lowest ever) [B&H]
[*]3.7 GHz 6-Core, 8 GB RAM, 2 TB - $2,099.00, down from $2,299.00 ($200 off, lowest ever) [B&H] These new iMac models come with 8th and 9th-generation Coffee Lake processors and upgraded Radeon Pro Vega graphics options for significant performance improvements over the 2017 models. You can find more information on the latest sales and bargains in our full Deals Roundup.

Article Link: Deals Spotlight: Every 2019 27-Inch iMac Discounted by Up to $200 (Starting at $1,649)

JWD

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
I’m really hoping we are getting no bezel iMacs in around 6 weeks!

I’ve been waiting for a good reason to upgrade my 2014 iMac.

This discount is a sign that new iMacs are incoming!

I’m still using a fully loaded 2009 iMac, what’s the rush? I use an Ethernet for networking, FireWire 800 for external storage, upgraded internal drive to SSD myself. It does not handle 4K video and the USB 2.0 is SLOW, can’t put the display to full brightness, otherwise works great lol

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008

Disinclined to believe new iMacs are coming when they just refreshed the line 5 months ago. Not very Apple-like. Also, an Amazon sale isn't proof of anything other than an Amazon sale.

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Disinclined to believe new iMacs are coming when they just refreshed the line 5 months ago. Not very Apple-like. Also, an Amazon sale isn't proof of anything other than an Amazon sale.

they did that before with the iPad 4 though. It was like 3-4 months after the iPad 3 came out, they released the iPad 4

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
they did that before with the iPad 4 though. It was like 3-4 months after the iPad 3 came out, they released the iPad 4
Yes they did, but it is both very uncommon and - in the case of the iPad - had very specific reasons (changing to lightning connector, iPad 3s were thick and burning battery due to retina screens) for not waiting a year to upgrade. The iMac here still very, very solid. No rush for cosmetic changes.

Now, if Apple looking to start some wholesale changes with its iMac lineup, such as adding T2 chips or removing all non-SSD drives from the lineup, then that changes dynamic a bit. But again, I would be surprised.

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016

That would be exciting, but where's the rumors and leaks for an upcoming redesigned iMac? I just don't see enough evidence that such a thing is imminent. There's been lots of sales on Apple products that come and go with no new products arriving.

Reactions: 28Gauge

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
It's almost 2020, don't buy any computer with a mechanical, spinning disk under any circumstance.

Or ... do buy one, then replace spinning drive with a 2 to 4tb sata ssd for waaay less than apple would offer it. To me, thats exactly why I WOULD buy one of these, to get tons of internal SSD storage in a mac for very little expense
[doublepost=1565712289][/doublepost]
I’m really hoping we are getting no bezel iMacs ...

Still cant figure out what the big deal is with having bezels on a desktop. Why care? Its a totally cosmetic superficial aspect of the machine, and some would contend that bezels actually act as a nice separation between whats on the screen and the office space, room, activity, etc that may be behind the computer

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's almost 2020, don't buy any computer with a mechanical, spinning disk under any circumstance.
Especially since they recently dropped the prices on the SSDs (though they are still overpriced).

My 2019 iMac 5K loaded is $1000 cheaper than my iMac Pro at work with twice the SSD storage, 8GB more RAM, a slightly slower GPU, and a faster CPU. The only real world difference I've noticed is that the fans never ever ramp up on my iMac Pro. Maybe at some point I'll miss the additional USB-C ports and 10Gb ethernet, but you can always get hubs and adapters. For anyone on the fence about the 2019 iMac Pro, it's a really good computer. I can even play most games from the past year or two on high settings (not ultra) 2560x1440 in Windows via Bootcamp, which is a nice side bonus as I've been wanting to get back into PC gaming. Just don't get a spinning drive if you want longevity—or even if you just want it to feel like a fast 2019 computer.

Reactions: Agile55

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London

That was just a spec update. Also they upgraded the new MacBook Air within 12 months.
[doublepost=1565724459][/doublepost]
Or ... do buy one, then replace spinning drive with a 2 to 4tb sata ssd for waaay less than apple would offer it. To me, thats exactly why I WOULD buy one of these, to get tons of internal SSD storage in a mac for very little expense
[doublepost=1565712289][/doublepost]

Still cant figure out what the big deal is with having bezels on a desktop. Why care? Its a totally cosmetic superficial aspect of the machine, and some would contend that bezels actually act as a nice separation between whats on the screen and the office space, room, activity, etc that may be behind the computer

It’s the future

Reactions: Icaras and Agile55

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

I couldn’t agree more!
[doublepost=1565728329][/doublepost]

Although I don’t think the redesigned iMac is coming this year, I’m holding out for the thin bezels myself :)

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015

A couple years ago everyone in the herd learned that "bezels are bad!" and now here we are. (See also the term "chin" which has recently become a real problem for people for some reason.) Honestly I think marketers put these product-differentiating terms out there to get people to upgrade their machines because they "look outdated".

As you say, on a desktop display the area around the screen gives some visual buffer around the edges. I see the issue on an iPhone or laptop where space is at a premium, but on a desktop I could care less.
[doublepost=1565921392][/doublepost]Everyone loves to crap on the fusion drive, but it's a LOT better than a plain hard drive, and a LOT cheaper than a pure SSD. Given the budget, obviously go for a pure SSD -- but if you want/need 2TB of onboard storage and don't have the budget for an SSD that big, a fusion drive is definitely usable.

Reactions: BigBoy2018

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Everyone loves to crap on the fusion drive, but it's a LOT better than a plain hard drive, and a LOT cheaper than a pure SSD. Given the budget, obviously go for a pure SSD -- but if you want/need 2TB of onboard storage and don't have the budget for an SSD that big, a fusion drive is definitely usable.

Well, a 2TB sata SSD now goes for about $130, and thats not much expense IMO, and waaay better than any fusion drive - both in terms of speed, and reliability.

The argument that a fusion drive makes sense because SSDs are “so expensive” just doesnt hold water anymore

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Well, a 2TB sata SSD now goes for about $130, and thats not much expense IMO, and waaay better than any fusion drive - both in terms of speed, and reliability.

The argument that a fusion drive makes sense because SSDs are “so expensive” just doesnt hold water anymore

Can you tell me where a 2tb ssd is only 130? That’s a smoking deal.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Can you tell me where a 2tb ssd is only 130? That’s a smoking deal.

Whoops, thats the 1tb. The 2tb are around $220, which I still think is low enough to make it inexcusable to not go with that over the skower, much less reliable fusion drive.

Your talking about a computer that may last you a good 4-5 years. Dont skimp on one of the most essential aspects of the system that will have such a huge impact ob everyday performance.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Whoops, thats the 1tb. The 2tb are around $220, which I still think is low enough to make it inexcusable to not go with that over the skower, much less reliable fusion drive.

Your talking about a computer that may last you a good 4-5 years. Dont skimp on one of the most essential aspects of the system that will have such a huge impact ob everyday performance.

I agree that now you should get the ssd option on Imacs....I have a 2013 27" that came with a 1tb spinning drive, so I use a 750gb ssd in a thunderbolt enclosure as my boot drive now, it's been rock solid.

Plus the ssds used in the iMacs are exponentially faster than regular SATA ssds, so it's smart to get it.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Plus the ssds used in the iMacs are exponentially faster than regular SATA ssds, so it's smart to get it.

Read/write speeds are faster but with SSDs, the real transformational difference in experience compared to a spinning drive is the 100x faster access times, which even a garden variety sata SSD with give you.
You will barely notice the difference between a mac with much faster read/write ssd vs one that just has a sata ssd

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015

Again, though, I said internal drives. You'll spend an arm and a leg getting a 2TB Apple internal SSD.

Yeah, obviously an SSD is better, but a Fusion Drive is better than an HDD, no question.

I've been running a fusion drive in my iMac for a few years now and definitely preparing to spend an unpleasant amount of money on an internal 1TB SSD on the next one...

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Again, though, I said internal drives. You'll spend an arm and a leg getting a 2TB Apple internal SSD.

Yeah, obviously an SSD is better, but a Fusion Drive is better than an HDD, no question.

I've been running a fusion drive in my iMac for a few years now and definitely preparing to spend an unpleasant amount of money on an internal 1TB SSD on the next one...

You can install a sata SSD internally in the imacs. I’ve done it with several. Not that hard at all really. IFixit is your friend.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
You can install a sata SSD internally in the imacs. I’ve done it with several. Not that hard at all really. IFixit is your friend.

Yeah, iFixit is great. I've done some minor surgery on MacBooks to replace batteries or get cat hair out of them. I also put an SSD to my old Mac Mini. Honestly it is all sort of fun if you have the right tools and instructions at hand, and take it nice and slow.

But the whole "it's glued together" part of the 5K iMac sounds like a nightmare, and even assuming I didn't botch that somehow, the thing also has a pretty crusty old graphics card which is starting to show its slowness. I think I'm gonna go the coward's way out and sell it and pick up a refurbed one.

Reactions: BigBoy2018
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.