Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music today launched an all-new playlist of emerging songs that are receiving the most shazams around the world, called the "Shazam Discovery Top 50." The playlist will be updated every Tuesday with a new ranking (via Variety).

shazam-discovery.jpg

Shazam Discovery Top 50 will be focused on up-and-coming songs from breaking artists, so well-known musicians won't be as prevalent in the playlist. Apple Music told Variety that it will use "Shazam's proprietary algorithms [to offer] a unique predictive view on rising artists and reacting tracks to Apple Music subscribers."
"The ranked songs are all at different points in their individual lifecycle and the majority of artists represented are emerging and up-and-coming."

"All are experiencing a level of momentum indicative of future potential of hitting the top of Shazam's Charts, and show any or all of the following patterns: moving quickly through Shazam's charts, growing rapidly, steadily and/or geographically."
You can find the Shazam Discovery Top 50 playlist today by opening Apple Music on macOS or iOS, and navigating to the browse tab. Apple has highlighted the new playlist at the top of the page, and also included it in the "Fresh Cuts" section of Browse.

Apple acquired Shazam in 2018, and is now beginning to integrate some of the music-recognition app's features into Apple Music.

Article Link: Apple Music Debuts New 'Shazam Discovery' Playlist, Updated With Emerging Tracks Every Tuesday

iRutherford

Suspended
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
Yay! R&B, hip hop and rap for days. o_O
[doublepost=1566314079][/doublepost]
Browsed through it, and not my taste at all. What Apple Music really needs are better personalized playlists like Spotify's Discover Weekly.

With Apple Music, you can listen to rock, metal and alternative all day, every day for 5 years and they would still recommend you R&B, hip hop and rap music.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Yay! R&B, hip hop and rap for days. o_O
[doublepost=1566314079][/doublepost]

With Apple Music, you can listen to rock, metal and alternative all day, every day for 5 years and they would still recommend you R&B, hip hop and rap music.

Great AI. Better pay attention when being driven by your Apple car. You want to go to Best Buy but the car thinks an Apple Store really what you want.

Saitama45

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2019
Oregon
Love the idea, just another way to discover music, I’m glad they’re putting more effort into their playlists. I just wish they had continent specific Shazam playlists, there were more Russian songs than I expected lol.

Reactions: Wide opeN

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
A quick scan of the list tells me that, yes, I’d have to Shazam these tracks myself. I’m not certain I’ve heard any of them before.

And to all the worriers above, it comprises more than hip-hop and rap. There’s a definite global feel to the list—I’ve already heard a French ballad and some nice mariachi.

Reactions: Wide opeN

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Umm, maybe lots and lots of users are Shazam-ing R&B, hip hop and rap music. /s
And? OP seemed to be complaining about the prevalence of those genres in Apple Music playlists. I was pointing out that the playlist in question was generated from what Shazam users were sampling out in the world. Are you trying to explain my own point to me?

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
You realize that this list is a list of music that other people are actively checking with Shazam, right?

Maybe for now. Get ready for astroturfed Shazam Discovery entries by labels' marketting depts. All you need is a bunch of Shazam user IDs and have them all "listen" to the same track.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
And? OP seemed to be complaining about the prevalence of those genres in Apple Music playlists. I was pointing out that the playlist in question was generated from what Shazam users were sampling out in the world. Are you trying to explain my own point to me?
No. My point is, if this list is actually made of songs Shazam-ed by users around the world, rap, hip hop etc should not be the dominant genre in the list. That seems to be not what OP see. Or maybe most people are loving those genres.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Puzzled. I suspect a fair number will have downloaded, played with and subsequently deleted Shazam. Surely it has potential and this is a creative idea and experiment. And that’s how it should have been introduced because to ‘debut’ this as a finished feature is going to lead to its dismissal by all but a niche group, albeit a group who will value it. Offering it as an experimental feature and encouraging people to get involved would let users know its usefulness to a wider audience should grow. As it is, the danger will be that many will dismiss it as a gimmick.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.