Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman and Debby Wu have shared expectations for Apple's fall product lineup and beyond, revealing new details plus existing rumors about upcoming iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, HomePod, and AirPods models.

2019iphoneswhitebg.jpg

Starting with the iPhone, the report claims the widely rumored triple-lens rear camera system on the higher-end models will enable a larger field of view for capturing ultra-wide-angle photos and videos, in addition to improving low-light photos. New editing tools while recording video are also expected.

The high-end iPhones will look nearly identical to the current models from the front, but at least some colors on the back will have a new matte finish, according to the report. Interestingly, he adds that the new iPhones should better withstand drops due to an unspecified "new shatter-resistance technology."

The report claims a new multi-angle Face ID sensor that captures a wider field of view will enable users to unlock the next iPhones more easily, even when the devices are laying flat on a table for example.

Other features outlined for 2019 iPhones include "dramatically enhanced" water resistance and faster A13 processors with a new co-processor known internally as "AMX" or "matrix." As for the next iPhone XR, the report corroborates rumors of it gaining a dual-lens rear camera and a new green color option.

As for the iPad, the report claims both the 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro will be refreshed in 2019 with improved cameras and faster processors. The report also backs the rumor of a 10.2-inch iPad launching later this year.

Turning to the Apple Watch, this year's changes are said to be "more muted," revolving around watchOS 6 and new case finishes. Last week, iHelpBR's Filipe Espósito discovered new titanium and ceramic 40mm and 44mm Apple Watch models based on hidden assets in the watchOS 6 beta.

The report concludes that Apple plans to launch a new 16-inch MacBook Pro with slim bezels later this year, as well as new AirPods with water resistance and noise cancelation and a cheaper HomePod with reduced tweeters as early as 2020.

16-inch-MBP-Solo.jpg

Tuesday, September 10 is the widely predicted date of Apple's traditional iPhone event, just under three weeks away.

Article Link: 2019 iPhones Said to Have Improved Shatter Resistance, Multi-Angle Face ID That Works Flat on Tables

Last edited:

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Other features outlined for 2019 iPhones include "dramatically enhanced" water resistance

Good, because current iPhones have zero water resistance unless brand new, just out of the box.

R740

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2015
London
Where could I find these wallpapers used in iPhone and MacBook Pro mockups? They look great!

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Non falsifiable rumors. If this person is right, hey he did great. Hits on some rumors, good job too. Hits on none, well they were just rumors....how could he know? Crazy.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Sounds like some very nice refinements for the 3rd (likely final) year of this design cycle.

That’s what I expected though. All year people have been saying that this launch would be weak because not much info has leaked and that Apple is “waiting for 2020.”

I guarantee when they get on that stage everyone on this forum will be like “TAKE MY MONEY.”

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
  • The main feature of the Pro iPhones will be a new camera system on the back with a third sensor for capturing ultra-wide-angle photos and videos. The extra camera will let users zoom out and capture a larger field of view. The sensors will capture three images simultaneously and use new artificial intelligence software to automatically correct the combined photo if, for example, a person is accidentally cut out of one of the shots. The new system will also take higher resolution pictures rivaling some traditional cameras. Photos taken in very low-light environments will improve, too.
  • The iPhone XR’s successor will gain a second back camera for optical zoom, the ability to zoom in further without degrading quality, and enhanced portrait mode. Apple is also adding a new green version.
So if I read this right, the iPhone's equivalent to the Pixel's Night Sight is only available on the Pro and Pro Max.

Le Sigh. Even the budget Pixel 3a has Night Sight. I really hope this isn't one of those differentiating factors between the pro and non-pro phones.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
urman claims a new multi-angle Face ID sensor that captures a wider field of view will enable users to unlock the next iPhones more easily, even when the devices are laying flat on a table for example.
This is good to hear, hiopefully it is true, as this is one of the biggest complaint I see when it comes to Face ID.

Other features outlined for 2019 iPhones include
I guess no smaller and/or cheaper iPhone rumors.....

Reactions: centauratlas

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
This is the time of year I tell myself my iPhone is already good enough and I'm sitting out. Next month will be the time of year I'm up at 2AM ordering a new phone. I don't know why but I do.

The MacBook looks nice with the larger display.

I was skipping the watch no matter since this time I have the stainless. I need to keep it a while to get the money it cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.