Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced the Apple Watch Series 5, and confirmed that it would continue to sell the Apple Watch Series 3 starting at the lower price of $199.

apple-watch-series-3-trio.jpg

The Apple Watch Series 3 is available in both GPS and cellular models, both of which support the new watchOS 6. It's not entirely clear right now if that means Apple is discontinuing the Series 4 model, but it's likely.

Apple's special event is underway at Steve Jobs Theater. Refresh for updates and follow our September 2019 event hub for coverage of all of Apple's announcements today.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 3 Now Starts at $199

Last edited:

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City

Apple today announced the Apple Watch Series 5, and confirmed that it would continue to sell the Apple Watch Series 3 starting at the lower price of $199.

apple-watch-series-3-trio.jpg

The Apple Watch Series 3 is available in both GPS and cellular models, both of which support the new watchOS 6. It's not entirely clear right now if that means Apple is discontinuing the Series 4 model, but it's likely.

Apple's special event is underway at Steve Jobs Theater. Refresh for updates and follow our September 2019 event hub for coverage of all of Apple's announcements today.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 3 Now Starts at $199

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Lmao the trade in values for Apple Watch should come with a free slap in the face. They offered me $110 for my space black stainless steel series 4.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
So why keep the 3 and drop the 4?

Because Tim likes his margins. Same reason the 10.2" iPad ships with an A10.

Still, Watch 3 seemed like a solid product and this new price brings it down to a point where I'll actually think about getting one.

greenbreadmmm

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2007
Because Tim likes his margins. Same reason the 10.2" iPad ships with an A10.

Still, Watch 3 seemed like a solid product and this new price brings it down to a point where I'll actually think about getting one.
Been on fence about a watch since the OG came out so many years back. Couldn't never justify cost vs use. BUT for 199, I am finally jumping in! Ordered me a 38mm nike! Jazzed!

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
So Apple knows the Apple Watch series 5 is not a huge upgrade so they discontinue series 4 because that's the one everyone would buy because of the cheaper price.

Last edited:
Reactions: qgadrian
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.