22/7 - The attacks on Oslo !Warning: Some strong content!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Heilage, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

This is an informative thread to discuss and gather/share information about the tragic events that transpired in Oslo, the capital of Norway, Friday 22nd of July 2011.

The bombing
    At approximately 15:26 local time, what has been discovered to be a car bomb exploded in the government block, outside the main government administration building. The blast was reportedly heard over 7km away. The main building was more or less destroyed by the blast, and almost all windows within two or three blocks of the blast were blown out.

At the time of writing, 7 people are confirmed dead, but the police have stated that there are still people missing and body parts in the ruins.

A man in a police uniform was reportedly observed in the area some time before the blast occured.

The shooting
    Approximately two hours after the bombing, a man dressed as a police man, armed with a handgun and a rifle, both of unkown types, gained access to the Youth Labor Party political summer camp at Utøya. He claimed to be from the Police, needing to brief the participants, aged from 13 and up, about the events in central Oslo. After gathering the teenagers around him, he reportedly started systematically executing them. People hid in tents, in the woods and along the shoreline, he reportedly walked calmly around the island, shooting everyone he saw. The massacre ended after approximately 90 minutes, when a special task force convinced the shooter to give himself over.

Some eye witness acounts claim that there was another shooter, the police will at the time of writing not deny the possibility, but nothing on this has developed today (23rd).

At the time of writing, 85 participants have been confirmed dead, with several still unaccounted for.

Who was behind it?
    A Norwegian man, named Anders Behring Breivik, was the person arrested at Utøya. At the time of writing, he as only acknowledged being at the island and in possession of guns. Evidence suggests that he is behind the bombing as well, due to eye witness accounts.

He owns an agricultural company called Breivik Geofarm, and bought 6 tons or artifical fertilizer in May. It is suspected that this was a main ingredient of the bomb used at the government building, but we don't know much yet.

Breivik is being charged as a terrorist, which carries the harshest possible sentencing under Norwegian law, 30 years with "forvaring" (in this case he will most likely never be released from prison). I can explain this system of sentencing more closely of people wish.

According to his Facebook page, he considers himself a right-wing conservative Christian, although we do not know if the attacks were religious or politically motivated. In the last few years, he has been active at several right wing discussion forums and websites, speaking out against muslims and immigration in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Norway_attacks

-----

I have attached some pictures of the area where the explosion happened. I have been watching the news for over 24 hours now, don't know what else to do.

Attached Files:

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the whole world is shocked by this tragedy ... we will never forget.

I am sure everyone has Oslo in their hearts and wishes everyone well.

stay strong Norway

3. RWinOR macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    This tragedy saddens me very much. Such a sad sad act.

Our prayers go out to all the victims of this event.

4. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

It's hard to believe one man did all this. Literally a one-man operation planning and executing it. Like something out of a TV show.

5. Heilage thread starter macrumors 68030

Heilage

Here's a video from downtown, shot from a mobile camera, of the minutes before and after the blast.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I continue to be appalled by what happened on the island.

Mowing down children like that is just unforgivable.

7. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Yeah, especially when the perpetrator is an adult... :mad: and posing as a law enforcement officer to top it all :mad: :mad: :mad: It's infinitely worse than the initial demolition of the Government HQ in Oslo, even.

Btw, thanks to Heilage for starting the thread.

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Thanks for starting this thread Heilage. That video really shows the sheer amount of destruction in the centre of town.

This act is so amazingly cynical and ruthlessly planned. To create a distraction of this magnitude, then to stage an attack on an island with no police presence is indeed straight out of the movies.

Just to provide a little context for non-Norwegians - it's worthwhile pointing out that Oslo is a relatively small town of around 600,000 inhabitants (and Norway itself has a population of only 5 million). Current estimates are that 92 people lost their lives. Scaling that proportion up... it's the equivalent of 1200 people being killed in London or 3000 people being killed in New York.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It's incomprehensible. Reminds me of Dunblane. I'm sure mental illness will have played a role as it would be too scary to contemplate otherwise.

10. Heilage thread starter macrumors 68030

Heilage

You have no idea of how planned this really was. He has written a book, over 1000 pages, describing in detail how to plan and execute a terrorist attack, including making facebook pages with "publicity photos" and how to deal with the media during the aftermath.

It's insane on a level we have never seen. This bastard has launched an all-out attack on everything we Norwegian hold dear and value. He has murdered our kids. No words can describe the rage I feel now.

11. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

God- it's just awful. That video was really scary.

13. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Humans beings have been lining up other human beings and massacring them wholesale since time immemorial. This was a terrible, heinous atrocity, but to jump to mental illness reduces the burden of responsibility. What if he knew full well what he was doing?

To me, that very real possibility is far more horrifying.

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Possibly a contributing factor.

But let us be careful - that may be a partial explanation, but NOT an excuse.

One can have a mental illness (e.g.clinical depression)and still be fully cognizant of their actions, able to control their actions, and
    most importantly, able to inhibit undesirable actions.

In short, be both legally and clinically responsible for their actions.

I am opposed to capital punishment - but I admit this one feels like the exception to my rule.

My heart goes out to the victims families, friends - and to all of Norway.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if has written a book, etc as Heilage says - then he was certainly in full knowledge of his actions. we might say that he is insane because these actions are now what we ascribe to rational people.

this is a horrible tragedy. i just don't have anything else to say, words escape me.

16. Heilage thread starter macrumors 68030

Heilage

A ~1500 page document has been leaked (was sent to some politicians on Thursday), detailing planning, economics, how to make explosives, tactics, avoiding attention, publicity and all. This man has literally no defense.

The diary:
    Day 1: Moving and getting your equipment and gear into place.
    Day 2: Installing all equipment - fume hood, fan etc.
    Day 3: Finishing the metal skeletons/cylinders for the blast devices and completing other practical issues relating to gear and equipment.
    Day 4: Creating an evacuation/emergency strategy, packing an evacuation kit (survival gear etc.) Day 5: Grinding 2,5kg of aspirin: 30 minutes with blender, manufacture of acetylsalicylic acid from aspirin (4 hours) + drying in oven (4 hours per batch x 3)
    Day 6: Manufacture of acetylsalicylic acid from aspirin (4 hours) + drying in oven (4 hours per batch x 3)
    Day 7: Boiling sulfuric acid using 4 cooking plates outside, from 23.00-07.00, 15-18L->5L of 90%+
    Day 8: Boiling sulfuric acid using 4 cooking plates outside, from 23.00-07.00, 15-18L->5L of 90%+
    Day 9: Creating Picric Acid (6 out of 12 batches using 3 x hot plate stirrers)
    Day 10: Creating Picric Acid (12 out of 12 batches using 3 x hot plate stirrers). Completed
    Day 11: Purification of Picric Acid
    Day 12: Purification of Picric Acid
    Day 13: Purification of Picric Acid. Completed
    Day 14: Creating DDNP
    Day 15: Creating DDNP. Completed
    Day 16: Relocation of 27-0-0 fertilizer. Break down a 600kg bag into 13-14 x 50kg bags, load in the truck, drive to location where you are going to crush them if needed.
    Day 17: Relocation of fertilizer. Break down another 600kg bag into 13-14 x 50kg bags.
    Day 18: Relocation of fertilizer. Break down the last 600kg bag into 13-14 x 50kg bags.
    Day 19: Initiate fertilizer grinding phase using 4 stationary blenders simultaneously. It will take aprox. 30-40 minutes to complete a full 50kg bag of ANFO, including the addition of the diesel and sealing the inner and outer bag with pieces of duct tape. It should be done nighttime between 23.00-07.00 as its quite noisy. The task also includes filling 20L plastic containers with diesel, and then breaking each 20L container down to 4L containers (empty distilled water containers) Complete 9 x 50kg bags of ANFO.
    Day 20: Complete 9 x 50kg bags of ANFO.
    Day 21: Complete 9 x 50kg bags of ANFO.
    Day 22: Complete 9 x 50kg bags of ANFO. Completed.
    Day 23: Mix in 2,5% (by weight) micro balloons and 10-15% (by weight) aluminium powder into the now hardened ANFO.
    Day 24: Mix in 2,5% micro balloons and 10-15% aluminium powder into the now hardened ANFO. Day 25: Mix in 2,5% micro balloons and 10-15% aluminium powder into the now hardened ANFO.
    Day 26: Prepare trucks for transportation.
    Day 27: Prepare trucks for transportation.
    Day 28: Prepare trucks for transportation.
    Day 29: Completed

17. Heilage thread starter macrumors 68030

Heilage

I was not implying mental illness, this man is not psychotic. I was saying that the whole situation is insane.

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It's quite easy to jump on the he must be insane bandwagon,although mentally ill people can hurt other people it's actually quite rare,this on the other hand was done by someone relatively "normal",they are the ones you need to watch.

19. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Fair enough.

20. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

My condolences to the people of Norway. Unfortunately, we americans understand your pain all too well. It's a sick world we live in.

21. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

I think it's great that many Norwegian officials have said that Norway will remain to be a free country and that no bills limiting freedom will be introduced over hastily. They seem to have learned from the mistakes made by the US after 9/11.

Oh, and the terrorist apparently was a christian fundamentalist. Thanks again, religion! :rolleyes:

22. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

We'll see how it goes. Now that they know it's a right-wing extremist who stands behind (as opposed to an islamist), it's unlikely that they'll stand their ground in this matter. But I hope they will, of course.

23. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

As indeed do the people of very many countries around the world.
    It's been a very sad event for Norwegians and the rest of us.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't know if you should bring up this point.

It seems to piss people off around here.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It seems largely incidental.