Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ChargerLAB has tested wireless charging speeds on iPhone 11 models running iOS 13.1 and found that multiple wireless charging pads that were able to charge the new iPhones at 7.5W on iOS 13 are now limited to 5W.

chargerlab-1.jpg

chargerlab-2.jpg

Unsurprisingly, the decreased power lengthens charging times, as visualized in ChargerLAB's graph below:

chargerlab-3.jpg

The report claims that exceptions include various wireless charging pads from Belkin, Mophie, Native Union, Anker, and Logitech sold by Apple Stores, leading ChargerLAB to speculate that Apple may be limiting 7.5W wireless charging to pads using fixed-frequency voltage regulation as of iOS 13.1.

Apple refers to fixed-frequency 7.5W charging as "Apple Fast Charging" in some product listings on its website, but the technology was incorporated into the Qi standard last year, so it is no longer proprietary and seemingly should not require certification under Apple's MFi Program to incorporate.

We've reached out to Apple for comment and will update this story if we receive any new information.

Article Link: Some 7.5W Wireless Fast Chargers Limited to 5W as of iOS 13.1

Reactions: macfacts

yoheywut

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
Huh, I just happened to test my i11 Pro last night on my wireless charger last night using this wattage app and it was indeed below 5W. This is an iOttie charger that can do 5,7.5, and 10 W, and did fast charge my iPhone XS on iOS 12. Now I know why.

zubikov

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
PA
Apple's lack of clarity on wireless charging is appalling.

They have an extremely useful, practical feature that employs an open standard. A potential to make tonnes of $$ selling accessories. And yet they refuse to elaborate on the charging wattage in any of iPhone tech specs or marketing. Most people don't have a clue that there's 5W, 7.5W and an incompatible 10W. The whole thing has been fumbled.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I can see slowing it down when it gets hot but as soon as it cools down it should pick back up. Either that or use a pulse charging method.

You'd think that Apple would pass a heatsink onto the back of the metal Apple logo and then external cases can tap onto that and distribute the heat into the case.

Reactions: hagjohn

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Huh, I just happened to test my i11 Pro last night on my wireless charger last night using this wattage app and it was indeed below 5W. This is an iOttie charger that can do 5,7.5, and 10 W, and did fast charge my iPhone XS on iOS 12. Now I know why.

sorry, which app did you use?

Reactions: Rocko99991

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Too much heat for me. I'll stick to cables.

Not only that, but just REALLY inefficient in general. It is just wasteful. I know we're only talking about very small amounts of energy here, but it still adds up.
[automerge]1569512150[/automerge]
You'd think that Apple would pass a heatsink onto the back of the metal Apple logo and then external cases can tap onto that and distribute the heat into the case.

Yeah that totally sounds like something Apple would do...

fmcshan

Editor
Apr 8, 2019
I have the mophie 7.5W wireless charger and haven’t noticed a significant change in charging time for my iPhone after upgrading to iOS 13.1

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Apple's lack of clarity on wireless charging is appalling.

They have an extremely useful, practical feature that employs an open standard. A potential to make tonnes of $$ selling accessories. And yet they refuse to elaborate on the charging wattage in any of iPhone tech specs or marketing. Most people don't have a clue that there's 5W, 7.5W and an incompatible 10W. The whole thing has been fumbled.

They were going to release their own charging mat, and for whatever reason weren't able to, and this was embarrassing for them. That's likely the reason they're being quiet about wireless charging.

Also, the simple truth is that wireless charging is inefficient and causes devices to get warm. This is not good for batteries. If you want to charge your device quickly, use a cable, it'll be faster AND better for your battery.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
i was actually kidding) i have a cheap charger and i'm perfectly happy with it.
I think there is an element of truth to it. There has to be some standard for them to charge correctly. Maybe the one you use is fine, but there is a lot of garbage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.