Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

WIRED has published a lengthy feature about Apple's foray into streaming video, and while many of the details are known, the article serves as a nice primer ahead of the launch of Apple TV+ on November 1.

apple-tv-plus-for-all-mankind-premiere.jpg

In an interview, Apple TV+ co-chief Zack Van Amburg said Apple is focused on quality rather than demographic programming. "No one here is sitting around saying we need to find the next show for males 18 to 34, or the next show for females older than 32. We're defining our programming by quality."

While TV shows on traditional networks are often aimed at capturing viewers between the ages of 18 and 49, a key demographic for advertising, Apple TV+ can avoid this since the subscription-based service has no commercials.

One of Apple TV+'s first series will be Ronald D. Moore's space-race drama "For All Mankind," with the article noting that Moore pitched the series with an impressive level of detail spanning up to seven seasons:
On the wall, a series of timelines and character profiles helped illustrate how the show might progress over the seven seasons that Moore and his writers had broken down. "The level of detail was overwhelming," Erlicht says. "Every aspect of the butterfly effect that would happen from the slightest change in that event." The executives walked out into the hallway, grinned at each other, and negotiated which one of them was going to give Moore the good news.
Apple TV+ will be available on the Apple TV app on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, and other platforms, including online at tv.apple.com, for $4.99 per month with a seven-day free trial. Since September 10, customers who purchase any iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch, or Mac can get one year of Apple TV+ for free.

Full Article: Inside Apple's High-Flying Bid to Become a Streaming Giant

Article Link: Apple TV+ Executive: 'We're Not Doing Demographic Programming'

Reactions: Ar40 and 15ngcs1

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I do not believe the claim of no adverts. Apple will find a way to include adverts.
Yeah it'll probably be News+ banners splatted all over like they do in their News app.

In all seriousness though, the fact that they're charging a monthly fee kinda negates the possibility I think. Not even Apple can get away with sticking ads in a subscription based platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dan110

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
I have so much TV to watch already - if I watched TV 24 hours a day it would take 10-20 or maybe 50 years to watch it all.

I just don't get it.

yossi

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
So is "for all mankind" about us going to mars, or sending a woman to the moon?

Ultramove69

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2017
Columbus Ohio, USA
Shows should be made for specific demographics. You can’t tell me that shows aren’t designed with a kids theme, a teen audience, young adults, elderly folks. Grandma probably isn’t getting the same value out of Sabrina that the grandchildren are. It’s ok to divide programming into demographics. When did this become wrong?

Reactions: tongxinshe

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Of course they are, Apple only does demographic marketing and now programming
Apple’s marketing demographic is “everybody who can afford to purchase, or influence a purchase”.

A billion iPhones. 1.5 billion devices. With respect to marketing and programming, what demo do you believe they’re marketing to? What demo do you think they’re excluding?

Last edited:
Reactions: BGPL

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
Why would he lie about that, as if there's something wrong with it? Any production from any company is going to be written for a particular audience.

Reactions: philpalmiero

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
I like it. I think the aim is to catch those viewers that Netflix and Amazon are losing due to their promotion of LGBT/modern shows ("losing" is a strong word, more like "viewers that are simply uninterested in it and are watching such shows less). The message is that "we're not trying to impress anyone or think too much into social statements and kill character developments for it. We're just trying to make the best shows possible (those that test best with most of a varied demographic).

My $0.02. I remain optimistically hopeful.

Reactions: persuasiveghost

fmcshan

Editor
Apr 8, 2019
I’m excited for Apple TV+. However, I don’t see how this is a profitably strategy for Apple’s slowing iPhone business. Even if Apple capped the budget at $2 billion (which it didn’t), it would take 400 million paying subscribers at $4.99/month to recoup that investment.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
This is purely to get more people into the Apple ecosystem. Simple as that.

What is interesting here is you can watch AppleTV+ on other select non Apple devices. So the only thing you get of the ecosystem is just an account. It will be interesting to see what becomes of this in a year or 2

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I’m excited for Apple TV+. However, I don’t see how this is a profitably strategy for Apple’s slowing iPhone business. Even if Apple capped the budget at $2 billion (which it didn’t), it would take 400 million paying subscribers at $4.99/month to recoup that investment.
I don’t think Apple’s trying to recoup their investment in a month.

xander49x

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
world
I applaud Apple and Disney for entering the market, however, for those of us that like to binge-watch shows I do not see myself subscribing to them. On Apple going for quality shows, if they are only family shows then they are missing out on the majority of the viewing population. I wish them luck in their endeavor.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I don’t think Apple’s trying to recoup their investment in a month.
Ha Ha exactly. It’s not like Apple will invest 2B into TV+ in a month. That would be 24B in a year. That’s more than all Hollywood productions combined.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.