Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Update: Sony has informed MacRumors that the Apple TV app is not rolling out to Apple TVs at this time and that the supposed image picturing the TV app on a Sony TV is not of a Sony television set. Our original article is below.

Apple has been expanding its Apple TV app to other platforms like the Samsung Smart TVs, Amazon Fire TV devices, and the Roku, and as of today, the Apple TV app is also rolling out to recent Sony TV sets.

As noted by 9to5Mac, owners of some 2019 Sony TV sets can install a firmware upgrade that introduces the Apple TV app.

sonyappletvapp-800x675.jpg
Image via 9to5Mac​

It's not clear which Sony TVs are getting the Apple TV app, but it's likely the same TVs that support AirPlay 2, which includes the Sony Z9G series, the Sony A9G series, the Sony X950G Series, and the Sony X850G series.

The firmware update is being gradually released to Sony TV users, and is probably going to roll out to most prior to the November 1 launch of the Apple TV+ streaming service. The Apple TV app appears to be rolling out worldwide, as a user in Brazil received the update.

On smart TVs, Apple's TV app provides access to TV shows and movies bought through iTunes, Apple TV Channels, and, later this week, Apple TV+.

Article Link: Apple TV App Rolling Out to Sony TVs Ahead of Apple TV+ Launch [Update: Fake]

Last edited:
Reactions: 15ngcs1

psionic001

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Why not Late 2018 Sony TVs?
paid a small fortune the KD-75X8500E 75” Android based that runs all the other Tv apps but not inline to run the AppleTV app?
Annoying!

Next I’ll find my top of line Bose Lifestyle 650 won’t support Airplay2 also.

Reactions: BlueParadox

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
But not 2018 LG OLED. Thanks LG.
Probably not 2019 LG OLED either. Knowing LG, they will save it for 2020 LG OLED.

Having said that, both 2018 and 2019 LG OLEDs are still heck of a deal. 65" 2018 LG OLED is $1500. 55" 2019 LG OLED should be hitting $1100 around Thanksgiving.

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
Why not Late 2018 Sony TVs?
paid a small fortune the KD-75X8500E 75” Android based that runs all the other Tv apps but not inline to run the AppleTV app?
Annoying!

Next I’ll find my top of line Bose Lifestyle 650 won’t support Airplay2 also.
No Apple love for my 900F. I just got it 10 months ago. Oh well.

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
This is sweet we just purchased a 77inch Sony A9G and it's a monster have to check for this update when I get home from work tonight.

Reactions: 15ngcs1

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Please, Apple, just make a standard webOS app for LG TVs on LG's TV app store. Don't mandate that the TV makers do the work - because LG sucks and is only adding AirPlay 2 to the latest TVs, while last year's TVs are perfectly capable.

If iTunes/AppleTV/whatevertheycalltheapp is made available as a native LG TV app, I can ditch my AppleTV box, and have just the smart TV for media consumption.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Probably not 2019 LG OLED either. Knowing LG, they will save it for 2020 LG OLED.

Having said that, both 2018 and 2019 LG OLEDs are still heck of a deal. 65" 2018 LG OLED is $1500. 55" 2019 LG OLED should be hitting $1100 around Thanksgiving.
My worry about OLEDs is the burn in, given that so many shows emblazon their stupid logos somewhere on the screen/image, usually the same place (for each network). I really want the deep blacks, but the thought of having to worry how long the tv might last before I would have no choice but to replace it bothers me. Although, those prices you mentioned are ridiculously low considering what these tvs were just last year!

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Please, Apple, just make a standard webOS app for LG TVs on LG's TV app store. Don't mandate that the TV makers do the work - because LG sucks and is only adding AirPlay 2 to the latest TVs, while last year's TVs are perfectly capable.

If iTunes/AppleTV/whatevertheycalltheapp is made available as a native LG TV app, I can ditch my AppleTV box, and have just the smart TV for media consumption.

Wait, so you're begging Apple for a way to *not* buy more Apple hardware? I'm not sure they'll have much empathy for your plight. ?

At the end of the day, an AppleTV is a better investment over the long term because it can bring a full media experience with you from one TV to the next. No longer bound to a specific TV. The latest AppleTV is even really smart about auto-changing the TV input for you when it is activated. No more turning on the TV separately or switching inputs. It all just happens magically (although I wish it were faster, but that's probably the TV more than the AppleTV box).
[automerge]1572387122[/automerge]
Why would I pay for an additional Apple TV box, when I can watch my iTunes Library directly on the TV?

It's a good question, but you also can't get upset when your TV doesn't support AppleTV. You, as a consumer, have options.

I have zero empathy for anyone complaining about money when it comes to watching TV. Time is money. You want more money, spend less time in front of the TV. ?

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
My worry about OLEDs is the burn in, given that so many shows emblazon their stupid logos somewhere on the screen/image, usually the same place (for each network). I really want the deep blacks, but the thought of having to worry how long the tv might last before I would have no choice but to replace it bothers me. Although, those prices you mentioned are ridiculously low considering what these tvs were just last year!

I'd be more worried about audio syncing issues. I have a 2018 and I don't know if its my Yamaha receiver or the tv but it's slightly out of sync and the only sync adjustment option puts it more out of sync. I think video is ahead of the audio for me and the tv only let you delay the audio I believe.

Haven't noticed any burn in issues on mine have owned it almost a year.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I don’t get why you’d wanna use the tv for it. An Apple TV or whatever is much better.
There are few reasons:
  • No need to fumble with the input
  • Your TV probably has a better remote control
  • Outside Apple TV+, Apple TV Channels (e.g., CBS All Access, Cinemax, Comedy Central Now, HBO, Showtime, Starz), and iTunes purchase/rental, you have no need for Apple TV
More and more, Apple TV set top box is becoming a thing for:
  • Apple Arcade (although most titles are pretty sluggish on 4K HDR)
  • Older TV without Apple TV app
  • You prefer to use Apple TV (instead of TV's OS) for Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, etc.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
Still waiting for it to be available in my brand new LG OLEDC9 (considered the best OLED in the market today). It's nice that I have Air Play 2, but with Apple TV+ access to my rentals and movies bought would be far more complete.

[automerge]1572389693[/automerge]
I don’t get why you’d wanna use the tv for it. An Apple TV or whatever is much better.

That is what I thought. But when I saw that motion is much smoother in the Netflix app on my LG OLEDC9 than what ir comes from Netflix on Apple TV connected to it with Premium 2.1 cables ... Maybe its not.

Last edited:

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
I'd be more worried about audio syncing issues. I have a 2018 and I don't know if its my Yamaha receiver or the tv but it's slightly out of sync and the only sync adjustment option puts it more out of sync. I think video is ahead of the audio for me and the tv only let you delay the audio I believe.

Haven't noticed any burn in issues on mine have owned it almost a year.
Audio out of sync would drive me bananas immediately.

I had that happening regularly a few months back — I don't know whether it was my Roku3 (since replaced with the latest Roku 4K Ultimate/Transformer/ Prime/whatever*) — but I kept having this problem when watching Hulu or Netflix. I think it was Hulu, and also the CW app.

I reset everything...it was a major pain, and nothing solved the problem until I replaced the Roku with a newer model having 1) more RAM, 2) a much newer more capable processor. So at least in my case the problem seemed to be coming from the streaming box. Good luck to you with your problem.
I would consider looking at whatever interface is handling the streaming (tv or external device).

*Roku has like 8 different 'new' models that purport to be nearly the same box but with small internal or external variations and RAM differences, as well as price differences, all seemingly released within the same six month period. It was annoying enough that I had to research the differences since none of the marketing-speak stated any.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.