Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of Apple TV+ approaching, Apple CEO Tim Cook was today asked about Apple's plan to offer a free Apple TV+ subscription to customers who purchase an Apple device, and whether that's something that Apple plans to continue doing in the future.

According to Cook, Apple made the decision to offer a free Apple TV+ subscription to customers who purchase a new Apple TV, Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch because it would be a "good gift" for customers and because it would get the content into the hands of more people.

apple-tv-plus-promo-image-800x527.jpg

"We look at each service and decide what's best to do for it," Cook explained. He said that if you look at Apple's other services, this isn't something that's happening beyond Apple TV+, so it's not part of a broader pattern.

"I won't rule out that we won't see another opportunity in the future," Cook added, leaving the door open for the possibility of future hardware and services bundling options.

Article Link: Tim Cook Explains Why Apple is Offering Free Apple TV+ With Hardware Purchase, Says He Won't Rule Out Future Bundles

Reactions: 15ngcs1

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
When I look at Reese and Jen, all I see is a forced made show thats truly a mediocre mistake. But those two don’t care, as long as the money was transferred to their account, they’ll gladly perform. I think this is where Steve Jobs (I’m sorry, I have to interject him) would decide differently.

Steve would:

Make Hollywood do it for free or Hollywood have to pay Apple - RDF.
Jobs would not hire neither Jen, Reese or Steve - he would bluntly say, they are not good actors.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
This is what I find baffling about the criticism surrounding Apple.

Indeed, what has always made the “Apple is doomed” argument so dumb is that it has always implied that Apple was some sort of special snowflake, incapable of leveraging its massive user base or demonstrate the ability to iterate on its industry-leading products. As if the company would somehow forget how to make a phone, or that developers would give up on a user base in the hundreds of millions, or that users would suddenly not care about nice things. All nonsense.

That, though, is my point: Apple has had a special run, thanks to its special ability to start with the user experience and build from there. It is why the company is dominant and will continue to be so for many years.

ZCT

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
When I look at Reese and Jen, all I see is a forced made show thats truly a mediocre mistake. But those two don’t care, as long as the money was transferred to their account, they’ll gladly perform. I think this is where Steve Jobs (I’m sorry, I have to interject him) would decide differently.

Steve would:

Jobs would not hire neither Jen, Reese or Steve - he would bluntly say, they are not good actors.

Wow. Just when you think you’ve seen it all. We’re now at the point of speculating whether Jobs would have considered an Oscar winning actress good or not and what decisions he would have made.

You have no clue what Steve Jobs would have thought about events in 2019. And even if you did, it is irrelevant.
[automerge]1572474675[/automerge]
Just like a drug dealer. Give a little away for free once in a while, get them hooked then start asking for money or your kneecaps

Let us not forget that in the bad old days Microsoft made us by new OS versions and pay more for the the ones that didn’t have home edition written on them. While Android used to let the phone companies decide if they wanted us to have a new phone OS.

We now routinely get some very nice OS updates for free thanks to Apple making that call.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles

Steve would:

That's like...your opinion man

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA

Steve would:

Imaginary Steve Jobs does whatever you want him to, and shares all your opinions.

This is the best Imaginary Steve Jobs example I’ve seen in several years.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I also wonder if it was good for those that bought the 11 series. They announced it at the same time. I'm guessing no. Only for things from this time forward. But who knows.
I am looking reward to Disney more (as I paid for 3 years upfront). I will give Apple's service a trial and see if Tim can convince me to give him more of my money. I must say that the three shows they have been pushing don't do much for me on the surface.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I also wonder if it was good for those that bought the 11 series. They announced it at the same time. I'm guessing no. Only for things from this time forward. But who knows.
According to Apple:

Any new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac capable of running the latest iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, or macOS purchased after September 10, 2019, from Apple or an Apple authorized reseller, is eligible.

For more details on offer terms and conditions, go to apple.com/promo.

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
I bought another iPad mini 5 this month. Does that qualify, or is it only for purchases after the service goes live?
It’s good for any Mac/iPhone/iPad purchase after the announcement was made. They didn’t mention how long it would last though.

Reactions: 15ngcs1

Minxy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2012

Steve would:

I think it’s natural that as Apple fans we speculate on the possible different directions Steve Jobs might have led the Apple business. But to then ‘hear’ his voice commenting on whether he likes the acting ability of celebrities is taking it to the next level!

if Steve Jobs was here what would he have thought about Star Wars the Last Jedi?

Reactions: Gasu E. and Dj64Mk7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.