Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Disney's new streaming service, Disney+, is now available in the United States and can be accessed across a range of supported devices, including iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Android smartphones, Roku streaming boxes, Amazon Fire TV, and more. You can download the Disney+ app on iOS and tvOS, sign up for the service at $6.99/month or $69.99/year, and then begin watching your favorite Disney shows and movies.

disneyplus.jpg

At launch, Disney+ already has one of the biggest back catalogs of content among the major streaming services, stretching back over a half century to include classic Disney films like Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Bambi, and Miracle on 34th Street. Disney+ content ranges from 1937 to 2019, essentially including every film produced under The Walt Disney company umbrella, as well as its subsidiaries including Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic.

In addition to classic content, Disney is producing new shows, movies, and documentaries for Disney+. Today you can watch new TV shows like The Mandalorian, Encore!, The World According to Jeff Goldblum, and High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. Original movies include Noelle starring Anna Kendrick and the Lady and the Tramp reboot starring Justin Theroux and Tessa Thompson. There are also behind-the-scenes looks at aspects of the Disney company, including One Day at Disney, which highlights daily routines of cast members at Disney Parks.

Disney+ is launching just a few days after Apple debuted its own streaming TV service, which also uses the "plus" naming style, called Apple TV+. On Apple's service you can pay $4.99/month to watch a handful of original TV shows like The Morning Show, For All Mankind, Dickinson, See, Ghostwriter, Helpsters, and Snoopy in Space. Apple plans to add new shows and movies monthly, next up including Servant from producer M. Night Shyamalan and The Banker with Samuel L. Jackson and Anthony Mackie.

Disney+ is compatible with the Apple TV app, so all of the TV shows and movies you stream in the Disney+ app will be updated and added to Up Next in the TV app, which also syncs to iOS. For more information on Disney+ and all of the content that you can watch inside of the new service, check out Disney's website and head to the App Store to download the app on iOS today.

Disney+ is also now available in Canada and the Netherlands. The service will launch in Australia and New Zealand on November 19, 2019, followed by the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, France, Italy, and Spain on March 31, 2020.

Article Link: Disney+ Streaming Service is Now Available to Watch on iOS, tvOS, and More

Last edited:

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Far Better than appletv+ at launch. Just waiting now for verizon to email me so I could take advantage of their 1 year free promotion.

Edit: it's live. Verizon said they'd email me but never did... but I was able to get the 1-year free trial nonetheless, and they have a pretty solid selection of movies. Too bad all of this stuff isn't available from 1 provider for a reasonable fee... YouTubeTV, Netflix, SlingTV, AppleTV+,Disney+, et al.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Let’s the streaming war begins.

(Doesn’t see a way to subscribe through TV app)

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Far Better than appletv+ at launch.

Well, that’s literally Disney’s core business, not entirely surprising.

This said, I would watch nothing from Disney+ while I’m unexpectedly already hooked on all of TV+ shows.

In general, they have been well received from actual audiences, with high Rotten Tomatoes scores.

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
As far as quality(picture/audio) appletv+ takes the cake here over Disney+. I think appletv+ is the best streaming for audio video you'll get anywhere. Disney is less than Netflix it seems for me(maybe equal to for some things). We'll see when we get some bitrate numbers.

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
No, it is not available on ATV+, you can only buy it for additional $ as any other DVD release.

It's still interesting it's not available on Disney's new service though. Makes me wonder what the "lead" time for getting new release material from cinema to Disney Plus is? Is it weeks more than DVD, months, a year, or more?

Reactions: Crow_Servo

1Peace

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
Poland
It's still interesting it's not available on Disney's new service though. Makes me wonder what the "lead" time for getting new release material from cinema to Disney Plus is? Is it weeks more than DVD, months, a year, or more?
If Disney would add it in the same time as DVD release it would definitely cut their own DVD sales (and potentially theater revenue as well). I think the time will be similar to current time frame which we can observe in HBO.

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Well Endgame is available today, 200 days after it's cinema debut. That's 3.5 months after it's home digital release and 3 months after physical. Dumbo and Captain Marvel hit The Netherlands trial 219 days after their respective cinema releases. We can therefore expect to see Aladdin sometime around the holidays

Reactions: milo

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
For a split second I thought the heading said... “Disney+ Streaming service is now available on watchOS...”

... And I was wondering who on earth would watch a movie on their watch!!! ??

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
Well Endgame is available today, 200 days after it's cinema debut. That's 3.5 months after it's home digital release and 3 months after physical. Dumbo and Captain Marvel hit The Netherlands trial 219 days after their respective cinema releases. We can therefore expect to see Aladdin sometime around the holidays

OK, thanks, that doesn't sound too bad then; and would put Toy Story 4 at around January next year.

Edit: Now I just have to wait till March 2020 to try it out myself

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
At least you get it in 4 months. Most of Europe have no release date.

Most of Europe will have it on March 31. Disney only named a few of the countries in Europe that will get the service on that date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.