Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sony has begun rolling out a software update for some of its smart TVs that enables AirPlay 2 and Apple HomeKit support, including its XBR Z9F and XBR A9F series of 4K and 4K OLED TVs.

sony4koldtv.jpg

Earlier this year, Sony announced that AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support would come to some of its mid-range and high-end smart TVs by way of a software update. This Android 9 Pie update makes good on that promise, and also includes Dolby Atmos support.

The update is available for the 2018 A9F and Z9F models as well as the 2019 A9G, Z9G, X950G, and X850G (55, 65, 75, 85-inch). TV tech site FlatpanelsHD notes that the 2018 A9F and Z9F models weren't listed as compatible models in Sony's original announcement, but they've since been included.

AirPlay 2 support will allow users to stream videos, music, photos, and more directly from an iPhone, iPad, and Mac to compatible Sony smart TVs, complete with lock screen controls. HomeKit support will enable users to easily control the TVs using Siri voice commands or the Home app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

The software update is available in the United States, Canada, and Latin America. There's no word yet on the availability of the update in Europe and elsewhere, but presumably Sony plans to extend the staggered rollout beyond these regions.

To update the Android-based software, you need to press the HELP button on the remote control and select "System software update." If you don't see the update, enable the "Automatically check for update" option, and a notification will appear on your TV when the update is available.

Samsung, LG, and Vizio have also released AirPlay 2-enabled smart TVs this year. Check out MacRumors' hands-on with one of Vizio's compatible models.

Article Link: Sony Smart TV Software Update Brings AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Support to Select 2018 and 2019 Models

Last edited:

antanton

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
Holding out for the A8F update then. Runs the same software as the A9F and came out in the same year here in Australia

SusieQa

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
Do any of the TVs supporting Airplay 2 send as well as receive - as in can broadcast using airplay 2 to HomePods etc..

jake0112

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
Do any of the TVs supporting Airplay 2 send as well as receive - as in can broadcast using airplay 2 to HomePods etc..

Recently bought an airplay/homekit supported LG TV, and I haven't been able to send audio via airplay. So I don't think it is possible unless I am missing something.

ldj3

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
Holding out for the A8F update then. Runs the same software as the A9F and came out in the same year here in Australia
Hi, I own a A1E (same internals as A8F) and was also hoping to get the airplay 2 upgrade. But these seem to actually be different from the A9F. Currently I believe our models to be running android 8 while the A9F is can be upgraded to android 9. https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00204736

I am however still hoping.... In side by side comparisons the min difference was mostly noted as the newer models running android much faster. Im guessing we fall on the wrong side of the coin here.r

Reactions: mlenger

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
No love for the X900F I bought last year?

Pretty unlikely either of these will get the Airplay update. The reason the A9F and Z9F are included is because they have the same next gen chipset as the 2019 models, but they were the first two TVs to include it.

Chytin

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
Sold my kidney for the 2019 model, Sony Oled tv 65A8G. It was much pricier than the comparable LG 65C9 and with it's futureproof features (HMDI 2.1, VRR, ALLM, eARC) but due to better motion handling I went for the Sony.
So, only after a few months on the market, this tv won't get the newest updates and features? If so, guess what finger I'm pointing up at you Sony.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Sold my kidney for the 2019 model, Sony Oled tv 65A8G. It was much pricier than the comparable LG 65C9 and with it's futureproof features (HMDI 2.1, VRR, ALLM, eARC) but due to better motion handling I went for the Sony.
So, only after a few months on the market, this tv won't get the newest updates and features? If so, guess what finger I'm pointing up at you Sony.
Ahh yes the future proofing fallacy. Painful lesson

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
I wonder if any manufacture will buy Apple TV ( STB ) and have it literally integrated into their TV. If they are so used to thin Margin they might as well give this a route a try.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
So as of now only LG is limiting AirPlay 2 support to its (Nano Cell - formerly known as Super UHD - and OLED) 2019 lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: svenning

Janschi

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
No love for the X900F I bought last year?

Nope, 9005 and 900F don’t deserve the love in the eyes of Sony.
[automerge]1575373053[/automerge]
So as of now only LG is restricting AirPlay 2 to to its (Nano Cell - formerly known as Super UHD - and OLED) 2019 lineup.

nope me and @seanf87 have the same tv from late 2018. We won’t get the update either.

Chytin

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
The moral of this story is...buy whatever model TV you want + an Apple TV.
Got one (ATV 4K) myself, but Sony tv handles Dolby Vision badly on HDMI. Pictures go dim with DV content (on Netflix and TV+) while it schould be brighter. Therefore, I watch Netflix via the built-in Netflix app whom show DV content as it schould. Sony seems to use a different Dolby Vision profile on their HDMI ports. It is not an Apple TV issue as I tried the 2019 Nvidia Shield tv as well and same dim picture. And yes, I use (different) HDMI cables with the higher bandwith.

Reactions: MrGuder

Kane Freeman

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
It’s kind of disappointing and embarrassing on Sony’s part, I have a 2018 Sony AF8/A8F which isn’t included but an Amazon Fire TV Stick has had these features added, how is a fire tv stick more capable?

Reactions: MrGuder and Chytin

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
This is amazing news that Sony are including some of the 2018 models meaning mine will get the update - Sony just need to roll the update out in Europe so we can test it too...... :D

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
I’m sceptical, this might be another fake news article... remember the Apple TV app that arrived on Sony TVs?

Edit: Cool, this looks real. Andrew O'Hara wrote an article on appleinsider. Unfortunately the update isn't available in Japan yet.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Hey you have one of the best TVs on the market. You made the right decision going Sony OLED. Their motion processing is the best.
[automerge]1575375029[/automerge]
It’s kind of disappointing and embarrassing on Sony’s part, I have a 2018 Sony AF8/A8F which isn’t included but an Amazon Fire TV Stick has had these features added, how is a fire tv stick more capable?

How exactly is it embarrassing? TVs should never be bought for future updates. Buy the TV for the specs at time of purchase, anything else is a gift.

Reactions: Chytin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.