Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, in a research note shared with MacRumors, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that Apple is planning four to six products with mini-LED displays over the next two to three years, including a 12.9-inch iPad Pro with an A14X chip in the third quarter of 2020 and a refreshed 16-inch MacBook Pro in the fourth quarter of 2020.

Kuo said LG Display and Taiwanese manufacturer GIS will be the most significant benefactors of these mini-LED products starting next year.

16inchmacbookpromain-800x529.jpg

Now, those mini-LED plans have been backed by two Taiwanese publications in DigiTimes and the Economic Daily News, with both outlets also reporting that GIS will be a key supplier of mini-LED-related components.

"Apple will introduce a 12.9-inch iPad Pro series featuring mini-LED backlit displays in 2020, with related suppliers set to kick off shipments in the third quarter, according to industry sources," reports DigiTimes, which in a separate report added that Apple also plans to release a new MacBook with a mini-LED display next year.

Likewise, the Economic Daily News reported that Apple will tap GIS for mini-LED display module assembly for an upcoming iPad.

Kuo has previously said that Mini-LED displays will allow for thinner and lighter product designs, while offering many of the same benefits of OLED displays used on the latest iPhones, including good wide color gamut performance, high contrast and dynamic range, and local dimming for truer blacks.

iPads and MacBooks currently use LCDs.

Article Link: Supply Chain Reports Back Rumors of MacBook Pro and iPad Pro With Mini-LED Displays in 2020

Last edited:

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
I’ve been hearing and reading about Mini LED tech for ages now, and I hope Apple implements it into their products soon just so that I can see what all the fuss is about.

Reactions: Lazy

Misho Maisuradze

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
Why mini LED? Why can’t they give us an OLED screen?
Because they want to get away from ordering Samsungs (competitor) OLED panels + OLED's have screen burn-in issues. Mini-Led is between OLED and Micro-Led, its immune to Burn-in and has closest screen quality to OLED. Next Gen Smarphones will have Micro-Led's but in a couple of years...

lorreann

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
I am still using the first generation iPad Pro 12.9 from 2015 and love it, but need to upgrade. I have been holding off because I’ve heard that the 2018 has had problems with bending. I don’t understand all the tech details but wonder if anyone can advise me on whether I’d be better off waiting for the new one or go ahead and get one now.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Because they want to get away from ordering Samsungs (competitor) OLED panels + OLED's have screen burn-in issues. Mini-Led is between OLED and Micro-Led, its immune to Burn-in and has closest screen quality to OLED. Next Gen Smarphones will have Micro-Led's but in a couple of years...
While it's true that Apple probably wants to reduce it reliance on Samsung for OLED panels, this has nothing to do with that. Apple get's OLED panels from Samsung for iPhones. This is a rumor about iPads and MBP's which do no use OLED panels at all.

Also if Apple went with OLED panels in iPads and MBP's, they'd most likely come from LG, not Samsung. Samsung specializes in small panels. LG specializes in larger panels. Pretty much any OLED panel for a TV (Sony for example) or monitor comes from LG. Afaik, Samsung abandoned large panel OLED manufacturing.

As you mentioned, MiniLED has a lot of the benefits of OLED without the downside of burn in. It is an acceptable stopgap until MicroLED is commercially viable at a large scale.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I’d really just like an OLED iPad. I get that OLED is potentially dangerous on a Mac, but it should be fine on a iPad. There are plenty of OLED tablets out there.

Reactions: cardfan

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I am still using the first generation iPad Pro 12.9 from 2015 and love it, but need to upgrade. I have been holding off because I’ve heard that the 2018 has had problems with bending. I don’t understand all the tech details but wonder if anyone can advise me on whether I’d be better off waiting for the new one or go ahead and get one now.

Unless you get like half off somehow I’d wait. For sure there’s a new one by next version of iPadOS.
[automerge]1575414025[/automerge]
I’d really just like an OLED iPad. I get that OLED is potentially dangerous on a Mac, but it should be fine on a iPad. There are plenty of OLED tablets out there.

Yep. I’m good with either which should improve screen quality. Oled would still be superior on iPad though.

Reactions: lorreann

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
While it's true that Apple probably wants to reduce it reliance on Samsung for OLED panels, this has nothing to do with that. Apple get's OLED panels from Samsung for iPhones. This is a rumor about iPads and MBP's which do no use OLED panels at all.

Also if Apple went with OLED panels in iPads and MBP's, they'd most likely come from LG, not Samsung. Samsung specializes in small panels. LG specializes in larger panels. Pretty much any OLED panel for a TV (Sony for example) or monitor comes from LG. Afaik, Samsung abandoned large panel OLED manufacturing.

As you mentioned, MiniLED has a lot of the benefits of OLED without the downside of burn in. It is an acceptable stopgap until MicroLED is commercially viable at a large scale.
Samsung do not use OLED for TVs but they do use them for tablets (Galaxy Tab S line)

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
Alright so I know what my christmas present to myself for next year is going to be.

ChrisKe

macrumors member
May 29, 2018
Melbourne

Honestly the bending thing is a bit overblown - I've had 2018 12.9 one since release and no hassle with it. Mostly it's in the folio keyboard and I'm pretty careful with my tech so YMMV.

Unless you have an issue with it like the battery is wearing out or can get a bargain, I'd wait and see what they do in 2020. These devices are so freaking expensive that replacing them needs to be carefully weighed up.

Reactions: lorreann

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Samsung do not use OLED for TVs but they do use them for tablets (Galaxy Tab S line)
You're right. I forgot about those. Still makes no sense to think Apple would turn to Samsung for iPad and/or Macbook panels. Considering all money Apple has pumped into LG OLED production, one would think the potential ROI would dictate LG as the panel supplier.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Not only do they use them, they’re amazing. I have the 2018 iPad Pro in 1TB, but it sucks in comparison to my Galaxy Tab S4 from Samsung with gorgeous OLED display. Watching Netflix on a 16:9 OLED display 10.5” is basically the same as watching Netflix on the 12.9” iPad as far as size of viewable area especially on ultra widescreen viewing of movies. The OLED just kills the acceptability of watching anything on my iPad. I also like the Dex on the Samsung. I can use it like a computer or like a tablet. But in the end, it just means I carry around both tablets, as I am “in the Apple ecosystem!” If only I could run iOS and MacOS on Samsung hardware... I would be in heaven.

Reactions: falainber

Haust

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2011
I think the burn in complaint is overblown. There are many devices using OLED and there is not a huge problem that I can see.

Reactions: iJustines

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
An OLED iPad makes sense for certain types of uses, but there are many tablet uses where the image, or parts of the image, are relatively static for a long time and MAY be affected by burn-in (writing documents (top menu and icons), drawing a decent picture, taking notes over a long period of time (but not too many), etc). Some of those lines, icons, and text will just sit there on the screen.

I’m actually OK with the iPad being LCD for now. Colours are great, and LCD backlit with LEDs (and Mini-LEDs) get brighter than OLED. Mini-LED is going to be great for the iPad. :)

You're right. I forgot about those. Still makes no sense to think Apple would turn to Samsung for iPad and/or Macbook panels.

No, I think you got it right the first time.

Samsung don’t use OLED because they don’t want to buy from LG, and they also don’t make their own large OLED screens.

For TVs, Samsung use QLED, which is basically just an LCD screen with a special type of LED backlight. Its very good, but not as good as OLED TVs. It’s obvious to me when you look at them side-by-side, but not immediately obvious when you’re looking at each screen individually.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.