Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to release five new iPhone models in 2020, according to the latest prediction from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

In a research note with TF International Securities, obtained by MacRumors, Kuo outlined his expectations for a so-called iPhone SE 2 with a 4.7-inch LCD display in the first half of 2020, followed by a higher-end all-OLED lineup consisting of 5.4-inch, two 6.1-inch, and 6.7-inch models in the second half of the year.

kuo-iphone-2020-2021-800x460.jpg

Kuo expects all four higher-end models to support 5G with a Qualcomm X55 modem, adding that availability of models with Sub-6G-only or Sub-6G-plus-mmWave types of 5G will vary by country.

Kuo expects the iPhone models with mmWave to be available in five markets, including the United States, Canada, Japan, Korea, and the United Kingdom, while Apple may disable 5G functionality in countries that do not offer 5G service or have a shallow 5G penetration rate to reduce production costs.

Four new high-end iPhones in 2020 lines up with a prediction shared by JPMorgan analyst Samik Chatterjee on Wednesday.

The so-called iPhone SE 2 is expected to resemble the iPhone 8, including a 4.7-inch display with bezels and a Touch ID home button, but with a faster A13 chip and 3GB of RAM. The device will continue to have a single-lens rear camera, according to Kuo, like the original iPhone SE and the iPhone 8.

The four higher-end iPhones are expected to resemble the iPhone 4, including a new metal frame that will likely sport flatter edges.

All in all, we can expect the following iPhone lineup in 2020 if Kuo is accurate:
  • 4.7-inch iPhone SE 2: LCD display, single-lens rear camera, no 5G support
    5.4-inch iPhone 12: OLED display, dual-lens rear camera, 5G support
    6.1-inch iPhone 12: OLED display, dual-lens rear camera, 5G support
    6.1-inch iPhone 12 Pro: OLED display, triple-lens rear camera, 5G support
    6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max: OLED display, triple-lens rear camera, 5G support
Also See: Kuo: Apple to Launch 'Completely Wireless' iPhone Without Lightning Connector and 'iPhone SE 2 Plus' With Touch ID Power Button in 2021

Article Link: Kuo: Apple to Launch Five iPhones in 2020, Including 5.4-Inch, Two 6.1-Inch, and 6.7-Inch Models With 5G

Last edited:
Reactions: arfbsantoso

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
I’m using the 6.5 11 Pro Max and I can’t see going back down to a 6.1 Pro model. I guess I have to try 6.7 or sacrifice some screen space. Leaves us Max users in a precarious place.

I’m glad I won’t have to decide until 2021, no need to upgrade mine until then.

Reactions: Bethanie21

NetMage

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
So 2nd half 2020 is when SE owners can upgrade? They've been stringing us along for over a year now with promises of a new model.
When did first half of 2020 become 2nd half?
And who is they?

And the SE2 rumors have it as an iPhone 8 size device.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
What is the point of 2 6.1" OLED models? Keep one of them LCD like they have now so those of us with PWM sensitivity can still get a new iPhone, plus it also keeps the costs down too which means either the same or a slightly lower price for consumers.
Or else just reduce OLED pricing. Yeah, wishful thinking. ;) In the very least I’d hope for 128 GB in the higher end models though.

If there really are two classes of 6.1” OLED models it does make sense to have a triple-cam model and a cheaper model. Although I personally would consider a 6.7” model with triple camera, I’d also definitely consider a 6.1 model, esp. if it had a decent camera setup, triple camera preferred. 6.7” is getting into the ridiculously big category for some people, and 6.1” would be the perfect size for a large segment of the population. The 5.4” would be for the crowd who want a smaller iPhone without having to go with the large-bezeled SE2 or whatever it’s going to be called.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Makes way more sense than changing the Pro line to 5.4" and 6.7".

Yes it's a lot of models, but forgetting the SE for a second, in some ways it's clearer. Big or small, Pro or non-Pro. I think the 6.1" Pro would be my perfect device, as I find the current iPhone 11 screen size the ideal. The Pro Max is just too big for me.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Interesting.

So according to this chart (and assuming the 2020 iPhones use the "S" moniker) Apple is going to release the following:

4.7" iPhone SE2 (This is supposed to be released early 2020 as I understand it.)

5.4" iPhone 11s
6.1" iPhone 11s

6.1" iPhone 11s Pro
6.7" iPhone 11s Pro Max

So they are going to add yet another new iPhone with the 5.4" iPhone 11s.

Then replace the 5.8" iPhone 11 Pro with the the 6.1" iPhone 11s Pro, and replace the 6.5" iPhone 11 Pro Max with the 6.7" iPhone 11s Pro Max.

This makes no damn sense, and I am seeing 5.8" iPhone 11 Pro and 6.5" iPhone 11 Pro Max users being a little upset about these options being gone, assuming this chart is correct.

:apple:

Last edited:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
What is the point of 2 6.1" OLED models? Keep one of them LCD like they have now so those of us with PWM sensitivity can still get a new iPhone, plus it also keeps the costs down too which means either the same or a slightly lower price for consumers.

One is an iPhone 11 replacement, and one is an 11 Pro replacement. Just they both have the same OLED screen now, instead of the LCD-OLED split. I think most people prefer OLED thanks to the deep blacks. I don't like the look of LCD screens on phones now due to the obvious backlighting, and wouldn't go back.

As for cost, presumably the cost/supply of OLED has come down enough now that it makes more sense to just make one common part.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Or else just reduce OLED pricing. Yeah, wishful thinking. ;) In the very least I’d hope for 128 GB in the higher end models though.

If there really are two classes of 6.1” OLED models it does make sense to have a triple-cam model and a cheaper model. Although I personally would consider a 6.7” model with triple camera, I’d also definitely consider a 6.1 model, esp. if it had a decent camera setup, triple camera preferred. 6.7” is getting into the ridiculously big category for some people, and 6.1” would be the perfect size for a large segment of the population. The 5.4” would be for the crowd who want a smaller iPhone without having to go with the large-bezeled SE2 or whatever it’s going to be called.
It’s not the price I was getting at, OLED causes some people like myself migraines which if they went all OLED is basically saying we aren’t good enough for new iPhones. It seems pointless to have two 6.1” OLED’s when they already have the displays to make one of those LCD.

When I had my X it gave me terrible migraines, but soon as I switched to the XR and now the 11 the migraines went, and I don’t feel like I am missing out compared to the the OLED Pro models either. This lineup is basically saying those of us with PWM sensitivity won’t get any new phones from Apple and are stuck with older models for as long as they will keep selling them.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
No, I already upgraded to an iPhone 11 Pro which is too big. Now they want me to downgrade my camera to get a smaller phone? It's ridiculous.
Agreed. I just wish they'd make the 5.4" with the best CPU, cameras, etc. I don't want to have to choose between a 6.1" "Pro" and a 5.4" gimped model.

It's the same problem we've had for years: the Plus/Pro/bus-sized models get the good features and you have to either suffer with a device that's too big, or one that's years behind in capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.