223°f

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zachevans, Sep 18, 2014.

1. zachevans macrumors newbie

And no shutdown. :confused:

I thought the thermal shutdown was at 221 F? I've ran the computer for hours at a time around 104-105 degrees celsius without a shutdown as well. Am I missing something here? I feel like these temperatures are DRASTICALLY reducing the life of my computer. Maybe it's time to get :apple: to replace the thermal paste?

Early 2013 Retina 15, 2.7, 16GB, 512

Attached Files:

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

What are all those "yes" processes?

Also are you using Chrome?

105c is close to the shutoff point to protect the computer so yes I would say that is too hot.

Maybe it's full of dirt? Do you have pets?

3. zachevans thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just using those to max out the cores in order to demonstrate the temperatures I've experienced. Those processes where the only thing running when I took that screenshot.

Safari. I've hit the 105 degree mark using Safari as well. Of course this is during Flash heavy incidents, but nonetheless it's still pretty damn hot for Flash.

Computer is clean as can be, doesn't have a case on it, no pets.

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I mean if you're running processes to purposely ramp everything up then 105 makes more sense.

However you said it happens with Safari too so that isn't good.

I wouldn't say it's drastically reducing the life though, the whole reason for the shutoff at a certain temperature is prevent serious damage.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Flash is the reason - it causes my children's laptop to spike as well. There's no reason to purposely cook your laptop to show that its hot, just describe the symptoms, and what you're running.

6. zachevans thread starter macrumors newbie

The reason behind cooking it was to show what happens when I'm running my day-to-day programs. I did it this way instead of importing 400 RAW files to Photoshop as layers. It was supposed to be a visual description of my symptoms.

7. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I would look into the thermal paste. If they used too much, it will not work properly and will cause high temperatures.

8. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

I get the same thing when I stress the mac. But my Gpu seems to heat up more than yours. :(

9. amoda, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

amoda macrumors 6502a

10. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

If they're sitting at that temperature with the cooling system operating at maximum power then I'd say you have a poorly-fitted heatsink, likely the thermal compound was not applied properly.

What's the ambient temperature?

You may have some success taking it in to Apple to have the heatsink refitted.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Importing 400 RAW files!!!

Importing 400 RAW files will stress anything even a Mac pro so what do you expect from a laptop? despite how good they are here days they still aren't a desktop with massive space and huge cooling.

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

105 C is the maximum temperature at which your machine's processor is guaranteed to function. The critical value that triggers the shutdown is usually greater than that reference.

13. zachevans thread starter macrumors newbie

This was just a processor test, but when I do render 3D objects or play games like Civ 5 the GPU gets to similar temps.

Ambient temperatures are around 55 degrees celsius. I think this is most likely the issue. I plan on getting it checked out once work isn't so heavy. Thank you.

My point was that these temperatures seem unusual. Someone doing the same task could have temperatures that never go above 98 degrees celsius. It seems the norm here is that most owners hover around 98-100 when doing intensive tasks with a maxed out processor such as the ones I've talked about above.

Oh, I see. It was to my understanding that 105 C WAS the thermal shutdown. Thank you for this information.

14. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Holy crap that's a retina mbp it's new!!! :eek: Why would it get so hot?