Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachevans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2013
And no shutdown. :confused:

I thought the thermal shutdown was at 221 F? I've ran the computer for hours at a time around 104-105 degrees celsius without a shutdown as well. Am I missing something here? I feel like these temperatures are DRASTICALLY reducing the life of my computer. Maybe it's time to get :apple: to replace the thermal paste?

Early 2013 Retina 15, 2.7, 16GB, 512

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 9.32.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 9.32.01 PM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 169

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
What are all those "yes" processes?

Also are you using Chrome?

105c is close to the shutoff point to protect the computer so yes I would say that is too hot.

Maybe it's full of dirt? Do you have pets?

zachevans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2013
What are all those "yes" processes?

Also are you using Chrome?

105c is close to the shutoff point to protect the computer so yes I would say that is too hot.

Maybe it's full of dirt? Do you have pets?

I was just using those to max out the cores in order to demonstrate the temperatures I've experienced. Those processes where the only thing running when I took that screenshot.

Safari. I've hit the 105 degree mark using Safari as well. Of course this is during Flash heavy incidents, but nonetheless it's still pretty damn hot for Flash.

Computer is clean as can be, doesn't have a case on it, no pets.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I mean if you're running processes to purposely ramp everything up then 105 makes more sense.

However you said it happens with Safari too so that isn't good.

I wouldn't say it's drastically reducing the life though, the whole reason for the shutoff at a certain temperature is prevent serious damage.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was just using those to max out the cores in order to demonstrate the temperatures I've experienced. Those processes where the only thing running when I took that screenshot.

Safari. I've hit the 105 degree mark using Safari as well. Of course this is during Flash heavy incidents, but nonetheless it's still pretty damn hot for Flash.

Computer is clean as can be, doesn't have a case on it, no pets.

Flash is the reason - it causes my children's laptop to spike as well. There's no reason to purposely cook your laptop to show that its hot, just describe the symptoms, and what you're running.

zachevans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2013
Flash is the reason - it causes my children's laptop to spike as well. There's no reason to purposely cook your laptop to show that its hot, just describe the symptoms, and what you're running.

The reason behind cooking it was to show what happens when I'm running my day-to-day programs. I did it this way instead of importing 400 RAW files to Photoshop as layers. It was supposed to be a visual description of my symptoms.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I would look into the thermal paste. If they used too much, it will not work properly and will cause high temperatures.

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
I get the same thing when I stress the mac. But my Gpu seems to heat up more than yours. :(

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
If they're sitting at that temperature with the cooling system operating at maximum power then I'd say you have a poorly-fitted heatsink, likely the thermal compound was not applied properly.

What's the ambient temperature?

You may have some success taking it in to Apple to have the heatsink refitted.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Importing 400 RAW files!!!

Importing 400 RAW files will stress anything even a Mac pro so what do you expect from a laptop? despite how good they are here days they still aren't a desktop with massive space and huge cooling.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009

I thought the thermal shutdown was at 221 F? I've ran the computer for hours at a time around 104-105 degrees celsius without a shutdown as well. Am I missing something here? I feel like these temperatures are DRASTICALLY reducing the life of my computer. Maybe it's time to get :apple: to replace the thermal paste?

105 C is the maximum temperature at which your machine's processor is guaranteed to function. The critical value that triggers the shutdown is usually greater than that reference.

zachevans

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I get the same thing when I stress the mac. But my Gpu seems to heat up more than yours. :(

This was just a processor test, but when I do render 3D objects or play games like Civ 5 the GPU gets to similar temps.

If they're sitting at that temperature with the cooling system operating at maximum power then I'd say you have a poorly-fitted heatsink, likely the thermal compound was not applied properly.

What's the ambient temperature?

You may have some success taking it in to Apple to have the heatsink refitted.

Ambient temperatures are around 55 degrees celsius. I think this is most likely the issue. I plan on getting it checked out once work isn't so heavy. Thank you.

Importing 400 RAW files will stress anything even a Mac pro so what do you expect from a laptop? despite how good they are here days they still aren't a desktop with massive space and huge cooling.

My point was that these temperatures seem unusual. Someone doing the same task could have temperatures that never go above 98 degrees celsius. It seems the norm here is that most owners hover around 98-100 when doing intensive tasks with a maxed out processor such as the ones I've talked about above.

105 C is the maximum temperature at which your machine's processor is guaranteed to function. The critical value that triggers the shutdown is usually greater than that reference.

Oh, I see. It was to my understanding that 105 C WAS the thermal shutdown. Thank you for this information.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014

Holy crap that's a retina mbp it's new!!! :eek: Why would it get so hot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.