Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to release additional MacBook models with Apple Silicon in the second half of 2021, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, as part of the company's two-year transition away from Intel processors across its Mac lineup.

m1-chip-macbook-air-pro.jpg

In a research note today, obtained by MacRumors, Kuo said that these MacBook models will feature a new design. Kuo did not specify which models these will be, but he previously claimed that redesigned 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with Apple Silicon would launch in the late second quarter or third quarter of 2021.

Other rumored Apple Silicon Macs include a redesigned 24-inch iMac and a smaller version of the Mac Pro tower.

Apple's first Macs with its custom M1 chip, including the new MacBook Air, lower-end 13-inch MacBook Pro, and Mac mini, began arriving to customers last week. Models that continue to use Intel processors for the time being include the 13-inch MacBook Pro with four Thunderbolt ports, 16-inch MacBook Pro, iMac, iMac Pro, and Mac Pro.

Kuo added that demand for the new iPad Air has been better than expected. Looking ahead to 2021, he expects that the iPad's growth momentum will come from the adoption of new technologies such as Mini-LED backlighting and 5G support. Kuo expects a new low-priced iPad to launch in the second half of 2021 — presumably the ninth-generation iPad.

Kuo also expects third-generation AirPods to launch in the late second quarter of 2021. He has previously claimed that the design of the third-generation AirPods will be "similar to AirPods Pro," but likely without active noise cancellation.

Last, Kuo predicted that the "new Apple Watch shipment's momentum in 2021 will benefit from innovative health management functions and improved form factor design," but it is unclear if he is referring to the Apple Watch Series 6's new casing options like blue aluminum or to redesigned Apple Watch Series 7 models.

Article Link: Kuo: Redesigned MacBooks With Apple Silicon to Launch in Second Half of 2021

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I hope They FINALLY include a touch screen?
Lazy APPLE. No touch screen when Surface by Microsoft has had it for years
Whats a iPad Pro M1 aka MacBook M1 without a touch screen?
wanna run iPad and iPhone apps on your Mac ? You need a touch screen!
I disagree. I want Macs to stay non-touch oriented. Granted, they’ll eventually probably have to add it, but I don’t want a Mac to be a Surface.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
16" design came out less than 13 months ago.

14" coming out as early as late 2021 is plausible.

Resources may be better spent on updating the 8yo design of the iMac.

One request I would like happen is the battery's mAh not be reduced to save weight.

I want to have more than 24 hours battery life on any Mac notebook.

In the same way I'd want a larger mAh battery on the iPhone Pro max. Like say 7,000mAh so battery life will extended to a week. Longer battery life means less battery cycles. Less battery cycles means more battery longevity to beyond 30 months before requiring a replacement.

Last edited:

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Also really hoping for an iMac. My last iMac (and still current as it's my only one) is a Mid 2007 model. Yes 2007, it has entered it's teenage years. I've been happily using my Late 2013 MacBook Pro as my current primary machine but with as powerful as iPads and smartphones have become, I really don't require the portability anymore and would be totally fine with a nice desktop with no batteries to degrade over time. Just give me something that'll last as long as this 2007 has and I'll be mighty happy.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Also really hoping for an iMac. My last iMac (and still current as it's my only one) is a Mid 2007 model. Yes 2007, it has entered it's teenage years. I've been happily using my Late 2013 MacBook Pro as my current primary machine but with as powerful as iPads and smartphones have become, I really don't require the portability anymore and would be totally fine with a nice desktop with no batteries to degrade over time. Just give me something that'll last as long as this 2007 has and I'll be mighty happy.
We had a fleet of those at my undergrad (this was in 2019) - they were running some bespoke lab software. Half were on 10.4.11 (yes, Tiger), and the other half were on El Capitan. Fully upgraded spec, with 4GB RAM. They never missed a beat, and they really flew on Tiger. Great machines.

Max48

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2017
In the past, I preferred future-proofing to upgrading. My 2012 rmbp has really utilized that 16GB ram and kept me going up to last year. I did the same with my 2019 16", but that was a costly decision. Going forwards, it seems more worth it to simply buy the base model and spare the extra $ for a sooner future upgrade.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Please get rid of the touchbar.... Please get rid of the touchbar.... Please get rid of the touchbar.... Please get rid of the touchbar.... Please get rid of the touchbar.... Please get rid of the touchbar.... Please get rid of the touchbar.... Please get rid of the touchbar.... Please get rid of the touchbar....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.