Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicely

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2002
Brooklyn, NY - Cobble Hill
What would you have to do to use one of these as an HDTV in addition to using it as a monitor for your mac? I guess you would need a Digital and HD converter, run it through a G4, and onto the monitor. How would you set this up?

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
I saw an ad somewhere, maybe it was on Version Tracker, for a device that let you hook your monitor up directly to it and use that as a receiver for HDTV... I can't think of the name, but look around for a device like that. I'm assuming it would work with the ADC port for a 23 HD Display, but I haven't tried nor heard anything of it.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I wouldnt recomend doing it at any rate. I have a 22'' Cinema Display and an HDTV. (yes i know 23 is supposedly HD and 22 isnt), but the quality on the 22'' cinema display when say watching a DVD isnt nearly as good as on the HD TV

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
I wouldnt recomend doing it at any rate. I have a 22'' Cinema Display and an HDTV. (yes i know 23 is supposedly HD and 22 isnt), but the quality on the 22'' cinema display when say watching a DVD isnt nearly as good as on the HD TV
But isn't the res of the 22" just 1600 x 1024 (1.6MegaPixels) where as the 23" is 1920 x 1200 (2.3MegaPixels), this would make a significant difference I would have thought.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by Chaszmyr

That's prabably cuz the native rez of a DVD is 720x480 and the native rezes of a lot of HDTVs don't go above that a whole helluva lot so the DVD on the Cinema is going to have a lot more doubles pixels than the TV and that's probably why it doesn't look as good.
But I've watched DVDs on an Apple FP b4 and it actually looked better than a lot of other RPHDTVs in the same store.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.