Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sotofish

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
Riverside, Ca
Hi guys, I posted this in the Apple forums but this board is always way more helpful.
I just bought a new 23" Cinema Display. Plugged it in per the instructions, the computer turned on but the monitor stays black. The power light is on, but no picture.

I read there may be some power brick problems but could it be my video card is not good enough? On the Apple store page it says the 23":
"Requires Power Mac G4 or G5 with NVIDIA graphics or ATI Radeon 7500 graphics or better"

I have a 64MB ATI card that came standard with my comp when I bought it, is this good enough? here are the specs from the system profiler:

ATY,RV350:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4150
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A13601-126

Thanks for any help!

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Should be fine I think. The monitor is obviously getting power but not sure why no signal. The obvious thing to do would be to check with another machine. If you got it from an Apple store, if not just ring Apple and complain.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
If you're using it on your G5, then it should work just fine. Only the 30" requires a higher end card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.