Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
I have noticed that other Manufacturers are selling 23" Widescreen LCDs for less money then the Apple Cinema Displays!! :cool:

For example, HP Model # L2335

It features a 1920 x 1200 UXGA native and maximum resolution, 0.258mm pixel pitch, 25ms response time, a 350:1 contrast ratio and 250 nits brightness. ;)

You can buy this monitor for $1,399.00~!!!!!!!!!!!!! - No Tax - Plus Free Shipping - make this a HUGE savings over the $1,999 Apple version! :eek:

Any thoughts??????? :confused:

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
I have it at work, am using it right now, it is a GREAT LCD. I have an 23" Alu Apple display at home, and the LCD panels themselves are identical as far as I can tell.

The eclosure on the HP isn't as nice as the apple, and adjusting the HP display isn't as smooth as the apple. Also, the apple has firewire and USB, but the HP has a built in s-video, Component, and composite video imputs, and Picture in Picture capability. Really, if you don't care too much about the look of the enlclosure, then get the HP, the LCD panel is just as good, and that is the most important part.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

P.S. the stats that you have written down are wrong, it has a contrast ratio of 500:1 and a 16ms response. :D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The Apple LCD's (apparenlty) have a 16ms response (latest tech), and are 400:1, plus they have that little Apple logo on the front and are made of aluminum.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
One of the things that sets the ACD display apart from the HP has been the color consistency between monitors and within the display itself. This is especially important in many graphic arts uses, specifically for color-critical prepress work.

That being said, the HP is probably a better alternative for anyone not looking to seriously dial in the color on these things, plus the additional video inputs are sweet.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
emw said:
One of the things that sets the ACD display apart from the HP has been the color consistency between monitors and within the display itself. This is especially important in many graphic arts uses, specifically for color-critical prepress work.

That being said, the HP is probably a better alternative for anyone not looking to seriously dial in the color on these things, plus the additional video inputs are sweet.

That may have been true in the past, but I use the new 23" Alu at home and the HP at work, and they seem pretty much identical in every aspect as far as the panels go. I am sure if you put them side by side you might see some differences in color consistency between monitors, but he is not going to get a dual 23" setup so it really doesn't matter. The color consistency is great on the HP, as on my 23" alu, but I know some people have had problems with their new 23".

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/82094/

All I can say is that I can find no noticable difference between Apple and HP's panels used in their 23" offerings.

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
Opps - looks like I made a mistake..........
With an extremely fast 16ms response time :D , the L2335 also features a 500:1 contrast ratio :cool: , and a 16:9 widescreen display. It runs at UXGA (1920x1200) resolution at 60Hz and features a typical brightness of 250 nits.

So it looks like this DOES have the same specs or BETTER in some cases to the Apple version. :eek:

All of this for the price of an Apple 20" ACD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

edesignuk said:
The Apple LCD's (apparenlty) have a 16ms response (latest tech), and are 400:1, plus they have that little Apple logo on the front and are made of aluminum.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
From the review:
We were told by HP that the L2335 uses an LCD panel manufactured as a joint venture between LG Electronics and Philips.
Apple use LG/Philips as well. It's probably the same bloody panel, just for much less $$$$ :eek: :rolleyes:

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
WOW~! Look at this review/comment:
"Graphic designers that want more versatility than the Apple Cinema display will find the L2335 a better solution. With its pivot capabilities and very adjustable neck this monitor should please even the most demanding. The LCD display is sharp, colorful and very bright thanks to the LG Electronics LCD panel it uses."
:eek:

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
I knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! WOW I read that too!
Damn! $1,399 for this Monitor is a STEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Bollocksssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! ;)

edesignuk said:
Apple use LG/Philips as well. It's probably the same bloody panel, just for much less $$$$ :eek: :rolleyes:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Well, it's not actually that much of a difference here in the UK, best price for the HP is £1463 (inc. VAT), and for the Apple £1543 (inc. VAT), so there's only £80 in it.

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
That blows :(
Here in the USA - The Apple Display is 2 Grand and even with the Educational Discount of $1799 + Tax brings it back up to 2 Grand!!

Its like a $700.00 price break for me!!! :eek:

PLUS!!!!!!!!!! This comes with a three year warrantee!!!! Apple charges for 3 years! HP gives that with the Monitor! Its like another $250.00 saved!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

edesignuk said:
Well, it's not actually that much of a difference here in the UK, best price for the HP is £1463 (inc. VAT), and for the Apple £1543 (inc. VAT), so there's only £80 in it.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Laslo Panaflex said:
That may have been true in the past, but I use the new 23" Alu at home and the HP at work, and they seem pretty much identical in every aspect as far as the panels go.

All I can say is that I can find no noticable difference between Apple and HP's panels used in their 23" offerings.

Wow. Looking again at some more information, that does indeed seem to be the case. Hardly seems worth the additional cash to get something that looks good next to the G5. Now if I can just convince my boss that I need to test one of those to confirm it... :D

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
TranceClubMusic said:
I have noticed that other Manufacturers are selling 23" Widescreen LCDs for less money then the Apple Cinema Displays!! :cool:

It features a 1920 x 1200 UXGA native and maximum resolution, 0.258mm pixel pitch, 25ms response time, a 350:1 contrast ratio and 250 nits brightness. ;)

You can buy this monitor for $1,399.00~!!!!!!!!!!!!! - No Tax - Plus Free Shipping - make this a HUGE savings over the $1,999 Apple version! :eek:

Where can you get it for $1399? I have to have a HP logo on my desk, but if it means I can save $400 over the EDU price of a ACD 23", and be able to buy the monitor now and a G5 later, and still have a 3 year warranty on the monitor, I might just grin and bear it!

It really stinks that you can't buy Apple care for a ACD by itself.

I don't think this HP monitor looks bad...it's a greyish metal color, so it should look fine next to a G5...except for that HP logo...Maybe you can pry it off. :D

mslifkin

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
New Jersey
Thanks for posting this! I was looking at getting a 23" Apple Cinema Display, and would have had to literally jump thru hoops to make it work, due to the fact that I'm using a Dr. Bott MoniSwitch (analog video) to switch between two Macs and 4 PCs. (I don't really use the PCs much, but I'm not about to toss a $400 switch!) The HP display has both analog and digital inputs, so I can use the analog in for my switch, and use the digital in for my PowerBook if I want, too! Anyway, I ordered the display last night, sight unseen, based on what I read in this thread (and HP's web site). Can't wait to get it! Thanks again.

Regards,
Marc

TranceClubMusic said:

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
Your welcome! Im gonna order the HP 23" HD Monitor as soon as I get paid.

mslifkin said:
Thanks for posting this! I was looking at getting a 23" Apple Cinema Display, and would have had to literally jump thru hoops to make it work, due to the fact that I'm using a Dr. Bott MoniSwitch (analog video) to switch between two Macs and 4 PCs. (I don't really use the PCs much, but I'm not about to toss a $400 switch!) The HP display has both analog and digital inputs, so I can use the analog in for my switch, and use the digital in for my PowerBook if I want, too! Anyway, I ordered the display last night, sight unseen, based on what I read in this thread (and HP's web site). Can't wait to get it! Thanks again.

Regards,
Marc

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Peyote said:
You do realize that the reason it's so cheap is that it is refurbished, right?

Yeah, I was wondering if he noticed that as well. It's still only $1599 new, which is still $400 less than apples, plus you don't get charged State sales tax when you order from PC Connection, in fact, that is where my work ordered mine from.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
True....however I can get the EDU discount through my wife, which only makes it a $200 difference...hardly seems worth it when you're spending that much money, but a $400 savings is really good.

I am wary of buying refurb equipment anyway though.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Peyote said:
True....however I can get the EDU discount through my wife, which only makes it a $200 difference...hardly seems worth it when you're spending that much money, but a $400 savings is really good.

I am wary of buying refurb equipment anyway though.

What does it matter? If the refurb has a 3 year warranty standard, I am sure that it is not that big of a risk. If it broke, the warranty will replace or fix your refurb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.