24" Apple LED ACD as a Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tee.Nutter, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Tee.Nutter macrumors regular

Hey All,

Just looking for a little bit of advice. I have ordered the 24" iMac and going to get the 24" LED ACD to use with it (Dual Monitor) which should work without a hitch :cool: (Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort)

What I also want to do is use the ACD with my Playstation 3, which I hope to do with >>> http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

Connecting the ACD to my iMac will display "picture" and sound, so I can't think why the Playstation 3 connected to the ACD would not work. Am I completely off track or would this actually work?

:confused:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can't connect the Playstation 3 to the Cinema Display in any way.

3. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

Woah, defeatist. :p

4. Limonade3 macrumors newbie

As a follow up to the original posters questions, is it possible to get the two screens at the same height? Perhaps purchase an iMac stand to mount to the LED display?

I was thinking about using the same set up....

5. Tee.Nutter thread starter macrumors regular

Do you why this is Tallest??

Limonade, I am not 100% sure but i don't think attaching the stand for the iMac to the ACD will make any difference. I was in the Apple store and measured the ACD compared to the iMac and it's about it sits about 1 to 1.5 inch lower than the iMac. This is due to the case of the iMac

This is the only thing that is really putting me off the dual display :mad:

6. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

because apple dosent support HDCP

7. Tee.Nutter thread starter macrumors regular

sorry to sound a lil stupid, but is HDCP still needed if you just want to play games on your Playstation 3 on the ACD?

8. brentsg macrumors 68040

It has nothing to do with HDCP. You cannot physically use that connector to attach to a 24" display.

9. whitefang macrumors 6502

When you get your monitor, power it up (don't connect anything). It should automatically be in sleep mode.

Now, listen to the lower left corner of the ACD. You should hear 2 types of noises. One is a loud annoying electronic resonance noise, the other is a another resonance ticking noise.

When you connect your macbook pro and boot it up, the monitor should wake up and stop making that noise. However, everytime your monitor goes to sleep (it goes to sleep when your macbook goes to sleep or nothing is connected), the monitor will make those electronic resonance noise.

The third type of noise occurs when you connect your ACD charger to the macbook pro.

All 3 noises indicate a bad design flaw.

Also, forget about connecting ANYTHING other than NEW apple device to your ACD. If you want to connect any NON-APPLE device, get a REAL monitor like a DELL 2408WFP (make sure to get their 2408 line, they are the higher quality ones).

10. Tee.Nutter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks whitefang, i'm going to listen out for those noise when I get my ACD. If I hear them, then it's gonna be very unlikely that I will be keeping the ACD

The Dell 2408WFP is the monitor I really really want. My original plan was a PC with 64bit Vista and 8GB RAM with two 2408WFP's, but I then decided on an iMac.

I know it may sound a little vain, but I want my monitor to match my iMac, but know you have my thinking I might consider the Dell 2408WFP. Hmm it does have an HDMI connection, only thing is that I will have to figure out a way to get audio out of my Playstation 3.

Also, will it just be a simple Mini DisplayPort to DVI connection i'll need to connect iMac to the Dell 2408WFP

11. MVApple macrumors 6502a

The new 24" LED ACD supports hdcp. You can watch blu-ray movies on it when its hooked up to a blu-ray player under windows.

If someone comes up with an adapter to connect these things, I don't think HDCP should be a problem.

12. whitefang macrumors 6502

Make sure to do it with a low-noise ambient environment. Also, if you return it, they will charge a restocking fee.

I got the 2407WFP and 2707WFP. The 2407WFP makes no electronic noise. The 2707WFP makes electronic noise when it goes to sleep mode. The thing is I can shut off the 2707WFP and I won't hear the noise. You can't shut off the ACD because there is no power button.

13. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

The problem is that the ACD has only a single input, where as virtually every other 24" display similar to it has multiple inputs.

So, even if you are able to somehow get something that will adapt the HDMI to Mini Display Port, it means you will have to manually disconnect and reconnect the display, or you will have to spend even more money on cables/adapters to run into a multi-display switch box. All very ugly and non elegant.

And don't even get me started on the fact that the ACD was designed with notebooks and the mac mini in mind, and therefore only has a tiny 3 foot card to hook things up with no way to extend it. Simply crazy.

It's also a bit mind boggling that Apple decided to shut out all DVI and HDMI users with this display.

14. Tee.Nutter thread starter macrumors regular

The more I think about it, the more I think the ACD is gonna be a waste, just for the sake of looks!

I have just had another look at the Dell 2408WFP and it has a DisplayPort connection, so I would guess that all I would need would be a Mini DisplayPort from iMac to DisplayPort on 2408WFP.

Hey Whitefang what do you think of the Dell 2709W compared to the Dell 2408WFP?

15. whitefang macrumors 6502

Also, the ACD has no height or landscape adjustment.

Remember, I had the slightly older versions (2407 and 2707). The 2707 is too bulky compared to the 2407. The newer version compared, I think the 2709 looks a little too bulkier than the 2408 as well. They are both great monitors but I prefer the 2408 because of the less space it takes. Another thing about the 2709 is you can't rotate it.

Heat-wise, the 2707WFP heats up a lot compared to the 2407.

16. Tee.Nutter thread starter macrumors regular

There is hardly any price difference in the 2709W and 2408WFP, so thought that the 2709W may not be as good as the 2408WFP.

I want it to rotate, so the 2709W may not be the best option then and the reviews are not at as good as the 2408WFP!

Space is not a massive issue, so not too fussed there. Think I might get the ACD and the 2408WFP and send the one I don't like back :)

Any issue with conencting the 2408WFP to an iMac that I should take into consideration?

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Some say that it is impossible to create an adapter from DVI or HDMI to Mini DisplayPort.

18. Tee.Nutter thread starter macrumors regular

19. whitefang macrumors 6502

Another thing about the ACD is that when you type, depending on your desk, the ACD will shake. I have a sturdy business grade desk and my ACD shakes while typing. Neither of my Dell monitors shook when typing.

20. Tee.Nutter thread starter macrumors regular

Would have expected it to be way more sturdier that that!

Just been looking at the 3008WFP, it looks amazing ... lol, think i'm getting a little carried away here.

21. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Except I had none of the noises you described on my 4 LED ACDs, only dust and pixel problems.

Your problem != everyone's problems.

I had 0 restocking fee after my 4th return since it was because I had a problem and they couldn't find a monitor that satisfied me.

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

23. Tee.Nutter thread starter macrumors regular

A HDMI coming out of Playstation 3, would go into this adapter and the mini displayport side would go into ACD.

Is this not the case?

24. whitefang macrumors 6502

Nope, that doesn't work. The mini displayport connector coming out of the ACD is a male connector. The mini displayport to HDMI connector has a male mini displayport connector and a female HDMI connector.

Once again, NOTHING other than the new macs can connect to the ACD. That is why I recommended the Dell.

25. Tee.Nutter thread starter macrumors regular

Nice one Whitefang, it did not know that it was a male connector on the ACD

Gonna try the ACD and 2408WFP and see what I prefer :cool: