24 Hours in, I want to know... Worth it? Only adults answer please...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by hydr, Apr 25, 2015.

1. hydr macrumors regular

A day in, what do we think? Worth it? Does Apple got a winner on their hands? Is it as amazing as the first 24h with the iPhone back in ´07? Please share your insight. Fanboys and kids with one sentence answers please ignore this thread.

:apple:

2. jjlannoo Suspended

I'm loving the health tracking features the most. Also the texting. I'm using that a lot. I'm really liking the watch quite a bit. The SS watch seems really well built and looks classy with the milanese band.

3. Voragon macrumors member

Voragon

Just finished post on show pics thread with my reaction to Day 1. 38 mm SS Classic. Not what I expected but everything I hoped for. Only the first iPad equals it for me.

4. BmoreDrumGuy macrumors regular

Last night, after spending half a day with it, I wasn't really sold on it. The battery was a concern for me, and seeing as how I wanted it to replace my Fitbit, I wasn't sure it was going to live up to my expectations.

After sleeping on it, and starting fresh, I'm liking it more. Started my day off with a five mile walk while it tracked my activities. I went to work, got notified of messages silently while I talked with clients (and I was able to easily not let them distract me or them). Calendar kept me up to date with itinerary.

All in all, day 2 has been pretty darn good. Today, it's a keeper. More time left to evaluate it. Version 1.0? So far so good.

5. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

To be honest I'm loving my watch . I workout 5-6 times a week and so far I'm impress with the activity app. Motivates me a lot .

6. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

Yes.

It's not perfect, but the fitness features were very well thought out and obviously throughly tested. The Apple Pay works seamlessly also. With a software fix and addition of a reminders app, it will be really excellent.

7. coolerkid macrumors member

If you try to use it as a mini-iOS device, you will probably be disappointed. It's not meant to be actively used and there's not much to really "play around with" on it. If you treat it like a watch, put it on, forget about it, and just let it do it's magic in the background, you will love it. It's far from perfect, and has a lot of room to grow, but I like what it can do now and the potential of what it can become.

8. CharlieCat666 macrumors regular

CharlieCat666

Not at all.
    I actually GOT the first iPhone at launch.
    And I didn't even have to stay up late to pre-order it!

Nice job, Apple! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

9. TigerWX macrumors newbie

Yes! Gorgeous timepiece with an elegant interface. It has heft, which points to the consistent Apple construction that we expect, especially for this price. Yes, there are some detractions that one should expect with a first generation device, but I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

42mm SS with white sport band.

10. Apple II macrumors newbie

Like it a lot, but also seems to have quite a lot of growth potential. I think power conservation makes many of the features and apps seem stripped down.

11. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

I like it for two main reasons, and it is fulfilling those very well for me after the first 24 hours.

1) fitness monitoring. This is important to me.

2) keeping my phone in my pocket more. It is amazing for this. It is limiting my phone use because I can see notifications on my wrist and choose to respond or not. All too often over the past 7 years I would receive a notification, get on the phone to deal with it and then stay on the phone to surf the web or kill time with something else that wasn't necessary. I haven't done that today. It's been great.

12. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Glad I purchased. Like it much better than the moto360 I had

13. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Yes. For one thing I've got a terrible memory and need a minder to keep me on track. Since I'm not J-Lo and can't have a personal assistant following me around reminding me of various things, I can at least have this. I just started taking various medications, thank you allergy season, and my Apple Watch has an app called Pill Reminder to remind me to take them on time. I've also got a sick cat who is on meds and it's now so easy to keep track of her med schedule.

I love having the weather info available at a glance on my wrist or a more detailed forecast available to also be pulled up to my watch via Siri.

I don't miss important emails anymore because I used to be lazy about going through them on my iPhone. Maybe if Iphones were still tiny I'd be more proactive. But now that they are honking huge I prefer to interact with mine less often for the mundane things like getting weather and mail. Anyway, today a few emails came in and they were somewhat time sensitive and I actually paid attention to them.

My watch is making me realize what a sloth I can be. I thought I was pretty good because I do a lot of work in the yard and gardens and I ride bikes and walk and my wrists are still skinny, lol. But apparently I do those things less in reality and more in my imagination (where I still look 25 and am smart enough to run Apple so that all customers would always be happy on launch days, tough enough to captain a spaceship, and talented enough to be the next American Idol). I didn't realize how sedentary I'd been becoming until the past few hours of nagging I've gotten from my watch to get off my dead behind. I'm mean really, the "little breaks" I have been taking in between chores were longer than I realized. So anyway now I know why my midsection looks bigger than it did last spring and I can no longer think I'm just retaining water like a camel. I now know, thanks to my new electronic mom, that I have been letting myself go.

Okay there's a lot more but this is already TL/DR. And I've got to go to the store. And appease my Watch's fitness goals. :rolleyes:

14. leenak macrumors 68020

I wasn't sure I'd like it but I do. I think it has a lot of potential and my main focus is playing with the health kit options.

I think it really depends on your use case and some people probably won't be able to find a use case that fits them, but for those that will, I think they'll enjoy it.

15. Kpaul0707 macrumors newbie

I'm loving it, originally I was going to get thrift it surge because I wanted a fitness band that also calculated heartrate so I could get an accurate read on my workouts. This morning I woke up and did a morning spinning class. Clicked on the workouts tab put in my goal calorie weight loss, and it was ready. During my ride I switched between calories lost and heart rate and was surprised at how easy it was. It notified me when it was 1/2 way done and I unlocked my first award!

All in all I bought this to be a glorified fitness watch and it is pleasantly exceeding my expectations

16. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Very much agree.

Yesterday I (very vaguely) considered sending it back. I wondered if I'd wasted a tonne of money.

But I'm loving it more and more.

One example -- I thought I wouldn't care about all the fitness stuff. But I do! I love it! Very motivating and beautifully implemented.

17. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I wore my wife's for 2 hours before giving it up. Mine is still processing. :mad:

Anyway, I think it is pretty awesome, but I am very glad that I did not yet one of the $1000+ versions.

In fact, I ordered the SS BSB 42mm and now I kind of wish that I had ordered a sport of some sort. It's definitely cool, but not worth more than $500-600 IMO.

18. macgeek01 macrumors 6502a

As an adult I'll comment once I receive mine since you won't be interested in what my 3 year old has to say about his.

19. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

Can anyone speak to issues with lag in the UI and sluggishness in apps loading data (or lack thereof, hopefully)? That's my biggest concern with the Watch. Although in all of the videos I've watched since yesterday when arrivals started appearing, I've seen virtually no lag, so maybe something's been done behind the scenes to fix/mitigate those issues.

20. canadianpj macrumors 6502

Can I be an adult and still wish people would stop using the word fanboy? Time for that one to be put to bed already.

Anyway, I'm loving it so far. I've not worn a watch for almost 20 years so just the fact of having something on my wrist is taking more getting used to than using the watch itself.

The feedback is nice, the little tap when I get a text message means I'm missing less of them then I did before. So far I'm not finding the huge delay in applications starting, there's a little pause for third party but nothing major.

21. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

50 years old here. Love it. Fitness tracking, reminders, texting, Siri, Maps (awesome!), it's all good. Next up, Apple Pay!

22. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

Yes. Between being able to grab calls quickly in the car from the watch, responding to texts on the go and the watch being so nice looking, absolutely worth it in my opinion.

Everyone I have shown it to, some of which are watch lovers, have stated that unlike any other smart watch, the apple watch (mine is a 42MM SS Milanese) looks like a time piece with the bonus of so much utility in the tech offered.

The battery life is way better then I expected. I have been up and active since 7:30AM, it is now 6:17PM and I am at 61%. That basically says I can go 24 hours straight without a charge, not including that when I hit power reserve at 10%, I get an additional 72 hours.

It does a good job of conserving battery by only showing you the screen when you want to see it. The sensors really do an excellent job of knowing the difference between moving your wrist and you raising to look. A friend grabbed my wrist and moved it around to see it and it wasn't until I turned it to see the face that it turned on.

I haven't experienced the lag people spoke of during the reviews, nor has the watch intruded on my life like some said. If you set it up to your taste for notifications, it will be exactly as helpful as you want it to be. When one reviewer (The Verge) said that the setup for notifications wasn't granular.....not sure what he was using, but you have a control for each individual app that is able to send notifications to the watch and each with the option to either mirror your iPhone or allow you to set it up as you see fit.

Overall, my experience in the first 24 hours has been great.

23. drew0020, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

It's cool but definitely not worth it. The health tracking is average at best, most 3rd party apps are average at this time, and OS is slightly flaky. At $700 for the Watch it's crazy and nothing more than a notification accessory.

I've shown a few friends and most are like it looks cool, but what does it do? And that's the problem. It doesn't do anything really except tap your wrist (sometimes) that you have a text or notification. At that point you really need to pull out your phone unless you plan on using Siri in public (and Siri typically butchers anything I say with ease).

The design is great but it is quite thick and chunky. Also the iPhone 6 screen is flush to the glass, not so with the Watch. It reminds me of the 3GS with slightly better resolution of course, but definitely a V1.0 product. At current prices I don't expect Apple to sell many of these after the rush of early adopters (aka people who will buy anything with an Apple logo stamped on it).

24. insane08 macrumors member

I have really been enjoying my time with the apple watch. Picked it up in the morning from UPS center so I’ve had a full day with it. Firstly it looks gorgeous but I know thats not what you are concerned with. Thats more of a judgment call on the user but let me tell you more about how I used it throughout my day at work. My job requires me to be sitting working on my computer a lot and then randomly running into meetings with my bosses so it keeps me connected to my phone at all times. i leave my iPhone in my pocket during meetings and I just know I won’t miss an important text or a call. I keep my cell on silent at work and usually miss 1 call at least daily.

It was just convenient not having to look at my phone every so often.

One of my most favorite feature is siri and the calling/texting via the watch. I can ask siri questions and even ask her to message somebody which was amazing while I drove home last night and this morning. I gave my mom a quick call while I was holding my jacket and bag and then conveniently switched via handoff to my phone as soon as I got into my car. It automatically switched the call from the watch to my phone. I got a few texts and just replied via speech to text on the watch. It doesn’t get better than that.

I just set up apple pay today and haven’t used it yet so that will be a good plus. Not to mention the passbook. I’ll be catching a flight in 2 weeks and already have my plane carrier app so I can check in by my watch and then call an uber directly without even touching my phone.

Now I have to say for many people who are not heavy into incorporating technology into their everyday life I will have to say this is not a worthy investment right now. Get it next gen or if you really want it then get the sports because I can’t justify spending $500 for a watch that acts like a phone. That money can be better used elsewhere. Now if you don’t mind then that’s a different story. I’ve been having a blast replying to iMessages too. Give it a try and see how you adapt to it. Don’t try to make the watch adapt to your life 100% because you will be unsatisfied, try and incorporate its functionality into yours and improve your day. Be more active or more alert to whats actually in front of you than your phone.

Oh also while I was driving I was able to change the music because I keep the music glance page up while driving for easy access which is perfect.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I don’t mind helping you get a better feel for it. That goes for anyone here. I might be busy this weekend but will check on again by tomorrow night.

25. pollos macrumors member

I am nearing the end of my first full day of use. I’ve been wearing it since 8am. I have been for a long walk, made a few calls (weird on the wrist!), dealt with a multitude of notifications, sent a few iMessages, used it as a timer for cooking, done a workout and followed all the activity prompts. All this alongside excessive fiddling as with any new tech on day 1! it’s now midnight and the battery is at 35%.

A few thoughts, both good & bad.

- Its an incredibly useful companion to my 6+. I have barely looked at my phone all day, having the watch makes managing the general “noise” of iOS throughout the day a slicker, easier experience. I used my phone only really in the evening to browse Facebook, twitter, web etc… Not having to constantly reach for my 6+ to read & react has been liberating. For me, this is the killer app of the Watch.

- It looks great (SG 42 Sport)

- The fitness apps are fantastic. I’ve been on a mission for the last 10 months to lose weight (60lbs so far!) and have tried a variety of health tracking apps with varying degrees of success. The Watch & its health apps are by far the best i have used. Simple, seemingly accurate & highly motivational. I have about 15lbs left to hit my target weight, can’t wait to do this with the Watch!

- Siri for messages etc seems to work very well and is fast.

- Haptic is OK. A few reviews mentioned being able to distinguish between variations of feedback strength. Can’t say I’ve noticed this. It either taps or it doesn’t.

- There’s a learning curve to figure out how to manage watch & app settings via iPhone - didn’t take me long to work it out but it was far from intuitive so i feel the less techie/apple obsessed folks will struggle.

- Force touch is a good technology but with limited visual cues to prompt its use it can be a bit confusing.

- The app icon layout looks nice, but can be a pain to use if you have a lot of apps installed. I would prefer the option for an A-Z list you could scroll, or custom app shortcuts on a watch face.

- Some app glances take way to long to load. Maps is especially guilty of this.

- Not being able to dictate replies to email is just dumb. I accept this will use battery, give me the choice Apple!

- Animated Emoji’s are meh. No idea why Apple are focusing on these so much. Maybe i'm just old.

- Tapping in the top left to go back in some apps is hit & miss, often needing several taps before it registers.

- Intelligent replies in Messages didn’t always offer any relevant suggestions to send in reply to simple “A or B?” type questions.

- Cannot customise notification sounds. This is a feature i miss. For example my phone plays a particular sound if i get a SMS from my work, not having this on the watch forces me to check the notification on the screen.

Its early days, but i am very pleased with it so far. I'm sure all the v1.0 issues will be ironed out in time. As others have mentioned, this is not a device you will be spending hours on every day. It exists to save you time, not use it. Keep that in mind and you will appreciate it for what it is. Less is most definitely more!