24 hours until the Electoral College makes Trump the president-elect. The full-court press is on!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DUCKofD3ATH, Dec 18, 2016.

1. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Just another Manic Monday as Democrats and Liberals go nuts trying to influence 300+ Republican electors not to vote for Trump. Futile and silly as with most Liberal causes, this one comes to a conclusion tomorrow.

What do you think of all the hijinks?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think the electors will stop Trump, and even if they do they won't vote for Clinton, so the House will just put in Trump. However this is precisely the situation that the Electoral College was designed for. Unfortunately our democracy has turned into the democracy of countries like Venezuela.

3. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

If that's the case, why has the EC never gone against the person that has gotten the majority of the electors?

4. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I'm not a Trump fan. I'm not a Clinton fan for that matter either. I certainly didn't vote for either (not that it would have changed the outcome in my state either way). Between the two I would have rather seen Clinton in office as she is clearly the more experienced candidate while Trump is a clown.

All that said, I would hate to see electors disrespect their constituents and change their votes. Trump won the electoral college, this should not even be a topic of discussion. To drag this out into the Senate is simply a waste of time, money, and energy- the outcome will still be Trump. Just like they teach you in competitive sports, when you win you win, when you lose you lose. Be respectful either way to the opposing side and the game (or in this case process).

Trump will either prove himself as President, or not. Time will tell. I'm not going to lose sleep over things that haven't happened yet and probably won't.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Because up until now we've elected people who were qualified for the job even if they weren't the best qualified.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

This has been a historic election for all the wrong reasons
    Anyways if they get stupid enough to deny trump things will get ugly. Liberal riots tomorrow if he wins , conservative fire if he is denied.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Honestly I think if we ever elect another non GOP president there will be militia types coming out in force to put their candidate in office.

9. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

“Madam President, the ‘heat’ is on. You have to step up and deal with this!”

“What, like with a cloth? Director Comey said that I am too stupid to prosecute, which means I am the most qualified. We came, we saw, he died! We have to destroy Syria like we destroyed Libya. My vote for the Iraq War was a mistake; Bush misled me, that’s why I happily hugged Bush in 2016. Russia. Putin. Drone Assange. More war. I support arming—and have armed—jihadist ‘rebels.’ I’m the LGBTQ champion, my Saudi friends kill gays but they give me tens of millions of dollars so it’s fine. The election was rigged—Donna Brazile secretly gave me debate questions.”

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

What does that rambling have to do with the fact that Trump is not qualified to be president?

11. Jess13, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016

Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Hillary was the least qualified 2016 candidate, along with being the worst. Hillary’s record is one of total, complete failure and disaster. Trump is more qualified than Hillary is, and Trump won. Thankfully Trump won: he’s ending Obama/Hillary/CIA/Allies’ illegal war against Syria, instead of worsening it; he’s not warring with Russia either, as Hillary would have. Hillary lost; America won.

Hillary also was part of Obama’s kill chain when they droned American teenager Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, Hillary would have ecstatically droned men, women and children in multiple theaters. Trump probably will shut down the drone program, as his NatSec Adv. Flynn says that drones are counterproductive and ineffective.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Got a feeling you are correct. BOTH the DNC and the GOP will make sure only candidates they approve off will be running, no more mavericks

13. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Assuming for the moment that you are right about Clinton not being qualified how does that change the fact that Trump is not qualified? If neither official candidate is qualified then the job of the EC is to find and elect someone who is unfortunately they are not likely to do their job.

15. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Ah! This is so creative! Thanks for sharing! :D

16. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Trump. Is. Qualified.

17. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

All four candidates were over the age of 35, and natural born citizens of the US, so who is "not qualified"?

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Trump has never been in a government position and has no clue how to run a government, it's not the same as a business. Technically yes his is qualified per the constitution but the EC was put in to make sure that the person wasn't an insane choice. What experience is needed to be president has changed over the years so it is good that there weren't specific requirements put into the constitution, but it is pretty clear that the presidency is not intended to be an entry level job.

19. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Funny, because I seem to recall Trump beating out 15 other candidates in the primaries, then beating your candidate in the general election. Seems to me, because your candidate lost, you want to start adding a unconstitutional qualifications mantra to the process.

It was the voters that elected Trump, so do you want to call us unqualified, or just a basket of deplorables.:rolleyes:

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Nope, it has been apparent since well before anyone won or lost that Trump is not qualified to be president and since the voters in enough states were not smart enough to see that it is the EC's job to choose someone else. However they are not likely to do that.

21. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

It is the EC's job to affirm the will of the people, of the several states. Just as they have always done, when a candidate wins the majority of the electoral votes.

History has proven this fact out.

In the 1824 election, no candidate won a majority of the electoral votes, but General Jackson won the most electoral votes and the popular vote. The election was thrown to the House, the speaker of the House, Henry Clay, who was also a candidate, threw his support behind John Quincy Adams, and Adams won the office. Then promptly named Clay SoS, in what General Jackson deemed "A corrupt bargain".

General Jackson didn't cry and whine over his loss, he, almost immediately began running for the 1828 election.

22. macmee Suspended

macmee

the only thing this proves is that you don't understand how population density works lmao

23. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

What it proves is most of the liberal crazies live in the cities. It sure is a good thing that the Founding Fathers gave us an electoral system based on States, rather than a popular vote Democracy, otherwise all money and political favor would flow to a few large cities.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Ai ai... you had to ask ;)

You rent space in your head to opinions so diverted from objective observation or so spectacularly misinterpreted or contraindicated that in turn your own opinions can end up pretty unpersuasive. But you're right that Trump did win the election. It was an amazing triumph given all the failures of critical thinking that occurred during the 2016 election season.

25. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

When you win, you hail the wisdom of the people, and when you lose it's a failure of critical thinking.:eek: