24" iMac C2D 2.33Ghz to a Dual 2.5Ghz G5.. To much of a downgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdl8422, Dec 31, 2008.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I currently have a 24" iMac C2D, 2.33ghz 3GB RAM and 25GB HD. I purchased the imac from apple on its release date for the 24" imac. I have the opportunity to buy a Dual 2.5Ghz G5 no RAM or HD for around $500. I was going to buy it and keep both but I really have no need for two so I was going to sell the imac. The main reason I was interested in the G5 is because my imac can not expand. I would prob end up filling it with 8GB RAM and at least two 1TB internal hard drives. Even though the 24" screen is nice, I think I can get a similar one for the G5.

I use my imac for all my graphics work, mostly large print ads and web. It is also used for internet and itunes. For the most part I use Adobe CS3 and some small misc programs. Would it be too much of a downgrade to go back to a G5 from a C2D? Im a little hesitant because even though my imac isnt the newest imac it is still a jump from the powermac generation to the intel. My fear is the G5 will go from being older to being TOO old quicker than my imac will.

PS: Im sure someone will ask "Why not just get a Mac Pro?" The answer is I cant drop $3,000+ on a computer right now, especially since I don't have to

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The iMac is going to be 30-45% faster when it comes to the actual processor speed depending on whether it is dual socket or dual-core (newer).

I personally wouldn't go back to a G5 from Intel. I can understand your iMac may be limiting you, but you may find even bigger limitations going to a 3-5 year old computer that won't have future OS support.

Used 2.66GHz mac pros go for $1500-$1700 on eBay by the way if you hadn't copnsidered that route. It would certainly be my prefered option.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I think that you would be okay with a 2.5GHz DP Power Mac G5 w/ 8GB of RAM. Sure, your iMac is faster, but the Power Mac G5 is no slouch. As long as all of your software will work on a PowerPC based Mac (no "Intel only" games/programs), the Power Mac G5 should work fine for you. :)