Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
My iMac was acting up so I powered down to reboot. Note I could not access the power down/ restart option from the apple menu so I had to hold down power key. When I rebooted I logged into main account and there were no icons on the desktop. I could not open apps from the dock, nothing worked. Couldn't even power down from the menu. Restarted again holding power key, same thing. Restarted again but this time I logged into a guest account which worked fine. Logged out, logged into 2nd guest account no problem. Logged out, tried to log into main account same issue as before. Help?!

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
I tried booting into safe mode and that seemed to hang so I had to power down again. Restart and now it's hanging on boot. I am able to boot from the snow leopard disc and I went to disc utility to verify disc, said it needs repaired so I hit repair. If this doesn't work I'm not going any further until someone here gives me some ideas. I'm not worried about having to reformat/reinstall but first need to save data from my main account

Well this is nice, says disc could not be restored. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disc, and restore your backed up files. So how do I back up the files if I can't access the account?

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
I would start the Mac in Target Disc Mode by holding down T, and hooking it to another Mac with a FireWire cable- this way the drive will show up on the other Mac and you can copy files from it.
(If you don't have another Mac, I'd take it to an AASP.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.