24" IPS Photo Editing Monitor Suggestions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fivedots, Aug 12, 2011.

1. fivedots, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

fivedots macrumors 6502a

Jun 29, 2011
    Hi! Need a screen recommendation and I'm having a hard time making a decision because none of them are carried locally. Stores that will order them won't accept returns as they are special order. Will be an online order from somewhere with a good return policy, such as Dell and Amazon.

As an amateur photographer, I've decided I want to move up to an IPS panel. To keep things realistically priced, I'll need to stick to a 24" model, but would prefer a 1920x1200 resolution. This, of course, limits my choices. A good stand with portrait rotation is also a bonus. This will be primarily used on a PC, so I have no input needs aside from DVI.

The top three contenders are:

Dell U2410: Been around a long time, mixed reviews about tinting and AG. Good looking on the desk. The attitude in this thread turns me off though, enough to not buy one. Especially given my issues with iMac displays and yellowing: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19314620.aspx

Asus PA246Q: Newer, apparently almost the same as the Dell, with a possible placebo effect making the AG seem less prominent. Not the most attractive bezel.

HP ZR24W: Would love some feedback on this model. Also hear AG is less heavy, but doubtful it is actually any different.

My biggest concern is the anti-glare (AG) coating. I'm worried about the sparkly/dusty effect of heavy AG. I feel like this would drive me insane, especially if it hampers text clarity in any way and shows up on white. I feel that a semi-gloss display would be absolutely perfect for me, but those are hard to find since LG is making all or most of the IPS panels and with the same AG coating. Don't really want a full gloss like an ACD either.

So, anyone have any opinions about the above monitors-specifically the AG-or any other recommendations? Possibly even a PVA display if it's highly recommended for photograph editing.
  2. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2005
    I believe the NEC MultiSync PA241W-BK is meant to be fantastic.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

Have a look at http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/
  3. flosseR macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2009
    the cold dark north
    I have a Dell 2410 actually on my desk and i have been a dell user since the first UltraSharps came along. I love it.. wouldn't trade it away. I like the display, it shows colors accurately and it has a plethora of connections..
  4. fivedots thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 29, 2011
    I bet it is! However the $949 is a bit too rich for me, as well as my use. Couldn't justify it. Need the best option in the $500 range.

And how do you feel about the AG coating? How does text look? What about white pages?
  5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Apr 10, 2003
    A hot desert
  6. SomeWhores macrumors newbie

May 11, 2011
    I have on my desk an HP LA2405wg and while that's not IPS like you are wanting it fits all the other requirements (24", 1920x1200). I find it to be a fantastic monitor. While I don't use it for photo editing (i don't have the skill, patients, and my daughter doesn't need it since she's not even 1yr yet) I find that it is a fantastic display.

I have a horrendous lighting situation with a light pretty much shining on the top 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen and the anti-glare on the monitor makes it completely bearable. I nearly don't even notice it. However I use the monitor mostly for code and games so I can't speak to the color reproduction or accuracy pre/post calibration for photo editing, I have found it to be a fantastic monitor.

The ability to rotate the monitor to 90 degrees with the stock base/stand was an awesome feature for me. Which might be completely irrelevant for you.

Also, it's under $300 on newegg. That was also a huge selling point for me. So, I guess what this can contribute is: I've found HP monitors to be freakin awesome for what I've needed/acquired them for. However, I've never utilized them for professional or even amateur photo editing.