24" LED Monitor - How do you extend the Mini displayport cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by buddster, Mar 10, 2009.

1. buddster macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of a way to extend the mini displayport cable on the 24" monitor? I'm using it with a 2009 mac mini and want to put the mini in a cabinet which is too far for the standard connection. The USB easy, but I can't seem to find a solution for the displayport. Any suggestions?

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Sorry I can't help... but wow long is the stock cable?

3. milk242 macrumors 6502a

to my knowledge, no such cable exists. I was thinking about making one but I can't find any female end mini displayport connectors.

4. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I doubt you will find anything right now since you cant even buy an adpater that goes from Mini Display Port to Mini DVI.

5. buddster thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the cord is 6ft which is way to short. I have a cabinet next to the desk in which 10 to 12 feet is needed.

From what I understand and maybe you guys will know better, even if you could go from mini displayport to mini DVI, it wouldn't work. But who knows.

The frustration is that this monitor has been out for a few months and now all of apple's computers use mini displayport. Every single buyer of a recent computer MUST have the desktop very close to this monitor. It's sooo stupid.

6. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

6 feet really? lol i heard worse 3.5 ft

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Umm there's a reason for that. If you need to use the optical drive, it's nearby and not in some cabinet.

8. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

hey can anyone with the screen confirm the exact length of the cable for mini display ports thx

9. buddster thread starter macrumors newbie

10. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Someone please confirm the length of this cable... Thanks! :)

11. tsmiller macrumors newbie

12. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

That's ridiculous... Almost impossible to use it with a Mac Pro and certainly impossible to use dual monitors with cables that short unless you put the damn computer right behind the monitors. Hopefully they have another cable option up their sleeve shortly.

13. skorpien macrumors 68020

While google is wonderous, you have to bear in mind that this thread was posted over a year ago, probably before any such cables existed. I doubt google has perfected time travel to pull results from the future ;)

Thank you, FSG1948, for posting your find. At least anybody coming across this thread now will be able to find what they're looking for.