24" Monitor for graphic design... suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacSF, Sep 14, 2010.

1. MacSF macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm a graphic designer (doing print work mainly) looking for a new 24" monitor for home office. The 24" ACD being a bit expensive for a home office and I'm currently considering the Dell UltraSharp U2410.

What monitors are you, graphic designers, using? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. hadegbite macrumors newbie

I recently purchased the HP 2509m
    http://dealzon.com/deals/hp-2509m-25-inch-1080p-hdmi-lcd-monitor

with the discount i couldnt find it an cheaper anywhere.

3. w00d macrumors member

I have the HP 2159m. It's not 24" but 21". I really like it. It was only $150 refurbished. Resolution is 1920x1200. Based on my experience with this monitor, I would not hesitate to look at the larger versions made by HP.

4. MJ - Tides Ent. macrumors newbie

I have been researching monitors for graphic design as well.

I have settled on the Dell UltraSharpTM U2410.

Its a 24", with a matte screen, wide color gamit, good graphics. There are some downfalls, like not quite as many pixels or refresh rates as some newer monitors, but my friend has one it is quite impressive.

The monitor can also be turned from horiztonal, to vertical for web design.

The 24" screen has very nice size as well, not that much smaller than a 27" Plenty of room.

5. MCHR macrumors regular

HP 2465

I used one for 8-10 hours per day for years. No dead pixels, no glare issues, matte finish and good contrast ratios.

Good enough that I picked one up for home use. No regrets.

6. MacSF thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your feedback. I will check the monitors mentioned.

Cheers.

7. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I have one since they released them and there are two major considerations i need to mention without even discussing color or colour.

The matte coating on this display is muddy for lack of a better word. I've even seen articles where users disassemble the screen and soak parts in chemicals overnight to get rid of the horrible matte coating. Maybe Dell has changed things since then?

The other issue I noticed is pixel density which is fine for general use but may be annoying for design work. Photos and other design elements do not look as crisp as on other displays. At first I thought that my new 18 megapixel camera had problems, comparing the images to my memories of my 6 megapixel SLR on my old Apple 20" display. Then I opened the 6mp images on the Dell and realized that the image sharpness was just perception from working on a higher Rez (higher dpi/ppi) LCD.

Just some things to keep in mind