24" monitor- LG 246BN or Dell 2407

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jburrows500, Aug 30, 2007.

1. jburrows500 macrumors regular

jburrows500

What are your thoughts on the two regarding video and photo editing. Best Buy has the LG for $499... Dell is at $546. Thanks

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I think the Dell is a good choice. However I own 2 of the LGs and I love them. Dell has too many QC issues for me. Backlight bleeding issues, etc. My LGs have the best backlight I have seen (mind you not perfect).

Plus, getting them from BB ensures that you can return with virtually no hassle. So if you don't like it, take it back and try the Dell. The Dell is a more involved process with shipping, RMAs etc.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

I just got an acer 24" for $300 after rebate from microcenter

4. jburrows500 thread starter macrumors regular

jburrows500

Did not want a TN panel monitor.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Pretty sure all Dell LCD's carry a 3 year warranty, the LG?

6. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

The same.

7. ParishM macrumors regular

ParishM

i have a Dell 2405 for 2yrs now and last month 2-3 pixels died right in the middle of the screen (black). i called Dell and they over nighted me a replacement 2405 no questions asked.

i would go with dell

P....

8. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

But it's not a NEW monitor, it's a refurb. So keep your eye on its performance over the next month or two. Dell's refurbishing department has not produced good results based on my own personal experience.

jas

9. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I recommend an LG. My buddy has a 20" Wide LG and it looks very good, especially the gradients.

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I just bought a 24" viewsonic. I do like it however i have noticed a couple things with it.....not sure if the other 24" models have the same problems. It has what appears to be a slight dimming on the upper right and left corners...Looks a little darker. hard to tell though. But for the price it is great.

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have the LG 246

It's a great monitor. On mine, though, the VGA out is horrible quality. It is really blurry. The HDMI/DVI is good though. Can anyone who has this monitor verify that the VGA acts like this..or is it just mine?

12. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I've owned a few Viewsonic monitors, even now I am typing away from an HTPC that's connected to a 32" ViewSonic LCD via VGA, the edges have brightness to them.

This is why I'd stick with other brands for PC monitors, but I use this as my main TV viewing in my bedroom along with playing HD content and soon to be a PS3 via HDMI.

13. jburrows500 thread starter macrumors regular

jburrows500

Just checked the Dell site and apparently the $565 price was short lived... Its back to 649.00.. I put one in my online Dell shopping cart when I saw it for 565. Thne strange thing is that when I just looked, the moniotor that was in my cart last week at 565 is now 649... thats pretty low to change the one you had saved earlier I think.. could have sworn I rewad something about 30 days... apparently does not apply to prices.

14. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I think it is just yours. I use my 360 through VGA and it isn't really blurry. It is VGA though. You might want to try calibrating on the VGA as well, the AVIA DVD works pretty well.

15. Freyqq macrumors 68040

i mean..the color is fine..the text and stuff is just really blurry compared to the really sharp DVI

will this fix this problem?

16. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

That is just a feature of VGA. It has to do with the mass amount of conversion happening with signal. A higher quality cable might fix it, but going from a computer to LCD via VGA will give you those results.

17. Freyqq macrumors 68040

idk i know someone with the dell 24" and tried vga and it looked much better...much closer to DVI quality. The VGA on this LG is literally unusable.

18. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Are you running it through a converter or straight VGA? Mine is fine for my 360 which is what I use it for.

19. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I tried plugging it into my MBP with the included dvi-vga converter

20. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

And you have the 246BN right? I would try to return it or get a replacement from LG. If you won't be using VGA, I wouldn't worry about it much... otherwise yeah replacement.

21. imacfreak macrumors member

imacfreak

I got a Dell 24" this January, had some issues with it, and they sent me a refurbished model as a replacement. It is also having some issues. Though, I have two Dell 24" monitors at work and they have had no problems.. So it must be my luck to get two duds. I had a 20" dell monitor before and had no problems with it. Dell does give you the 3 year warranty, and they were kind enough to send me a replacement with little questioning. So, although I've had two duds, I would still recommend Dell. Didnt apple use the same screens in their monitors for awhile, or do they still use them?

22. Freyqq macrumors 68040

kinda hesitant to call tech support b\c I bought a tv from LG once and they sent a referb that was scratched up and damaged and refused to replace it

23. Freyqq macrumors 68040

try plugging in your comp to VGA and see if text is blurry. Xbox would be hard to tell if you have the same issue.

24. iBeard macrumors regular

25. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

and how do you know its a TN panel?