Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtletooth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Like a lot of others here Ill be jumping on the next Mac Pro release. I dont have a monitor at the moment (aged 667 powerbook owner at home) and rather than blow £200 extra on an ACD (unless a possible new one is fantastic/cheaper) Im looking for others.

Can I get input on good monitors from you, the plus and minus points. Must be available in UK.

My usage? primarily Final Cut Studio usage, After Effects, plus photo work, need as good a colour reproduction as possible (I don't monitor for broadcast on the LCD but Id like to be close), wide range of connections, good response, contrast etc.

Cheers

Tt

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
The BenQ FP241W has been getting excellent write-ups, HDMI input too. I haven't seen it in person but google for reviews.

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
NEC LCD2490WUXi is supposed to be very good

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=a46240bd-a846-4de7-b644-bd7f0b7e6ece

The same model, but 26" had the following written about it

For professional photographers and designers, accurate color is a necessity. Though this big, bright 26-inch display costs a pretty penny, its color calibration features-as well as for managing backlight and color consistency over time-make the MultiSync LCD2690WUXiSV a tool all serious color geeks should consider.
- MacWorld Review
May 23 2007

Lacie is another brand to consider too.

Here is a good thread to refer to: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Single&catid=31&threadid=2049206

tribe3

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Vienna, VA - USA
The BenQ FP241W is a P-MVA panel, and the others mentioned are probably more expensive than the ACDs.

Look for S-IPS panels if you are going to use it for photo/video editing.

The Apple M9178 has a 23 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM230W02) panel and it's only U$900

turtletooth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
The BenQ FP241W is a P-MVA panel, and the others mentioned are probably more expensive than the ACDs.

Look for S-IPS panels if you are going to use it for photo/video editing.

Yes I noticed that the NEC ad the BenQ were more expensive, I guess Im looking for monitors that use the same panels as the ACD's, but without the apple tax (id rather spend the extra on ram/drives). I believe Samsung may use the same panels, but Im not sure what model numbers....

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Apples Cinema displays are kinda old hat now.

The NEC would be my first choice and probably what the next generation of ACD's will be using (same panel as 24" iMac).

The NEC however has better LUT's and other innovations to improve quality. It's not all about the panel, its also about the electronics that provide the image.

tribe3

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Vienna, VA - USA
Apples Cinema displays are kinda old hat now.

The NEC would be my first choice and probably what the next generation of ACD's will be using (same panel as 24" iMac).

The NEC however has better LUT's and other innovations to improve quality. It's not all about the panel, its also about the electronics that provide the image.

There are about 100 different NEC monitors ranging from $300 to $5000

turtletooth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
.... and probably what the next generation of ACD's will be using (same panel as 24" iMac).

Haven't these screens been getting really bad press, problems with yellow casts and poor overall consistency?

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Haven't these screens been getting really bad press, problems with yellow casts and poor overall consistency?

I don't believe that is a result of the panel manufacturer as a whole or the technology used, more likely an issue of quality control tollerances.

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Dell, Dell, Dell, Dell ,dell :D

Dell is not an automatic choice. Their QC is questionable for some models (2407WFP-HC) and their policy of using different panel types in the same model number is not good for the consumer (2007WFP).

The Dell 3007WFP-HC would be my choice, but it is 30" and requires 2 DVI connections to drive it a it's native resolution of 2560x1600. Still, that would work well on a Mac Pro setup. £1200 inc.

VanMan

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. CANADA
24" monitors

You (we) are in a tough spot. I was also recently shopping for a monitor for the Mac Pro and saw many good reviews of the Dell 2407WFP-HC which I purchased. It has a half stop darker band along the the extreme right edge of the screen (not too much of a problem since very little occupies that space except palettes, but still...) The biggest issue from a photographer's perspective is that moving your head left or right, even slightly, causes a substantial shift in the relative brightness of shadow areas. Not sure what the answer is. The LaCies are no doubt very good but the prices are stratospheric.

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
I probably sound like a broken record on this topic (specifically, the Dell monitors). I would strongly discourage folks picking up Dell's 2407 monitors. I've had 5 of them, and they were all returned because of poor quality. Hot/stuck pixels, external controls failing completely, the list went on.

Sad, too, because their 2405s are phenomenal monitors. I have 2 of them that I absolutely adore. So, if you WANT a Dell, look to Ebay for a 2405. Obviously, shop carefully. But, stay away from the 2407s.

(I expect to hear from a number of, "I have a 2407 and have no problems with it!" people. You either haven't had it long enough, or you're just incredibly lucky).

jas

ocbo41

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
I would highly suggest an Eizo Coloredge if you can afford it. I have the 24" Coloredge CE and it works great for graphic design, photo retouching work. It has near adobeRGb gamut and is a great value. Their Coloredge (non CE) has a better view angle and 100% adobe RGB coverage, though for HDTV i'm sure the CE series would do it (more info on their site). They also feature hardware calibration vs. using the video card to make the adjustmets. They may be twice as much as the apple 23" but even the CE is waaay better.

roybfr

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2007
I have 2 Gateway FPD2485W 24" Monitors on my Mac Pro and am quite happy with them, enough so that when their new 30" version is avalable locally I will be picking one of those up as well. The FPD2485W has a DVI, VGA, 2 sets of component, 1 set composite and 1 S-Video input. One of mine does double duty as my Xbox 360 display and for HD movies off the 360. It has nice touch sensative controls, Transparent adjustable PIP (in HD too), Enhanced video with DCDi, and a variable height stand. Great versatile monitor. I think you can still get them but they have been replaced by the FHD2400 which I think adds a HDMI input and the bezel is now silver vs black.

macfeever

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
Refurbished 23" display?

I've been following this thread and am intrigued no one suggested purchasing a refurbished 23" Apple display. What is the benefit for buying a 3rd party monitor?

iBeard

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
I went to the site tribe3 posted and it seems that the NEC LCD2490WUXi is the only 24" LCD w/ an IPS panel.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Heard a lot of people talk about Dell monitors -- also seen them hooked up to Minis in the "Post your setup" threads...

mperkins37

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Wow, quite a jump, I would also recommend an ACD refurb. If color correctness is important, nothing touches ACD in the price range IMO.
Love my 30".

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Have a new dell 2408wfp it's great.

Don't listen to people bleating on about panels, unless your using it for REALLY high end colour and graphic design it makes no difference and if you were you budget would need to be alot higher and you would know what you wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.