24000 photos of a single flower for a watch face. Has Apple lost the plot?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bobtrotter, Apr 9, 2015.

1. bobtrotter macrumors newbie

Seems like they have completely lost focus and the Apple watch is half baked. It's embarrassing that the watch face is unreliable at showing the time which is the main function of a watch. Can't imagine spending 18k on the edition version with a 6 hour battery life (after the battery has settled in). What good is it after that? Even if the watch is melted would anyone buy the "special gold particles designed by Jonny Ive" gold?

Reviews note that the apps suffer from lag yet Apple state that interactions with the watch should be quick 8-10 seconds. I don't see how a software fix will address this, they have been working on the watch for years. No fix for Yosemite yet, it still runs like crap on the brand new macbook pros, embarrassing UI lag. Can't even change desktops smoothly with a few apps open. I was able to do that about 10 years ago on a linux machine with no issues.

Still that Jellyfish face looks really nice right?

2. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

3. riotrhythm macrumors regular

riotrhythm

These small details are what I personally think apple is all about. Every other smartwatch is half-baked to me. As for the software issues, apple said they're solving it and yosemite works fine on my 4 macs so I guess it's just you :D

4. bms2993 macrumors regular

I love this post so much. I just... do.

5. bobtrotter thread starter macrumors newbie

Me too actually hahahaha

6. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

It probably took one or two employees a day to setup the shot and get the rig to automatically take the photos in intervals for two weeks and that was it. Not a huge deal.

If you somehow believe that adding those two guys to some software or hardware project was going to have meaningful results, you don't understand how development works (see: The Mythical Man-Month).

7. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Actually, I had a similar thought when I read that they actual brought in jellyfish to their offices to photograph instead of just licensing some footage. I mean, was that totally necessary? It's good that they're paying attention to detail, but on the other hand the 3D emoji are horrible IMHO.

8. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

The 3D emoji remind me of the MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger days of the 90s. :cool:

9. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

This would never have happened if Steve Jobs was still alive.

[​IMG]

10. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

Amen

11. fs454 macrumors 65816

"after the battery settles in"?

Get out of here, you have no idea what you are talking about.

The interactions still fall within 8-10 seconds, have you timed them out yet? There is no reason to believe otherwise. The apps load, but the overall interaction is still 8-10 seconds.

12. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Yeah it screams"LOOK AT ME IM Now OT BUYING THE WATCH" when actually no one gives a crap. Thanks for your awesome input.

----------

Oh ffs he's not get over it.

13. bobtrotter thread starter macrumors newbie

Here come the Apple watch police. Calm down.

14. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Then why you're here if you're not giving a crap?

15. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

These people come out of the woodwork on every Apple launch. Trust me. (Look at my Macrumors join date - I've seen a lot of them over the years)

16. bobtrotter thread starter macrumors newbie

What I mean about the battery "settling in" is that is will have advertised battery life for a few months (which is already low) and like all batteries begin to degrade and you will probably need to be recharging the thing to get through the day.

As stated by Verge: "Apple says Glances are “real time,” but they’re not — opening a Glance kicks off an update cycle, which usually means it’s pulling data from your phone. . It's not a glance at all if you are watching a spinning update animation is it?

I DO know what I'm talking about. I have a PHD in computer science and I have been an Apple store Genius for 3 years. I have also read all of Steve Jobs' books and watched all his videos.

17. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Didn't say I had anything better to do than comment..... But I, and most likely most.... don't (give a crap). How many "I'm not getting the apple watch" threads do their need to be?

18. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

If I'm not giving a crap about something I don't even waste my time commenting about it. But then my life is not pathetic so who knows..

19. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Hmmmmm wouldn't say my life is pathetic but at that particular time I had nothing going on so what the heck.... Well I am working making time and a half so I guess I made a few bucks in the time it took me to write that.

20. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Hahahahaha! Six hours battery life? Nope. It'll last a day, easily.