250GB SSD, shows I have 277GB movies. I deleted apps and now have less space..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blizzy402, Jul 12, 2014.

1. blizzy402 macrumors newbie

this is the screen shot of the space. i have no idea why it shows this, i've deleted many apps and for some reason the total space has actually decreased.. i probably deleted 50-70gb worth of apps but finder shows i only have 88gb free.. ods shows i have 97gb total information. what can i do to get finder to recognize the real disc space? i'm on a macbook pro retina running 10.9.4

Attached Files:

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Try rebooting and see if it sorts its self out.

3. blizzy402 thread starter macrumors newbie

i've rebooted multiple times, cmd-R at restart to repair drive.. both to no avail

4. blizzy402 thread starter macrumors newbie

so it shows what i think is close to the actual total available storage, but now it shows this. i just really don't understand how the whole storage idea works on this evidently. 277gb apps obviously aren't there, but it thinks it is..

Attached Files:

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Do you have any cloud related things that it could maybe be counting even though it isn't actually on your device?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That data comes from the Spotlight index and your is corrupted. I am certain of this because "Other" shows zero, and Other includes the OS so would always show something there.

Run the command below in Terminal to reindex Spotlight then you should see the correct readings there.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /

7. blizzy402 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now it lists everything as "other" category..

Attached Files:

8. hiddenmarkov, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014

hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

if timewarp backup turned on turn it off let it settle for a few minutes then check drive space.

Forget the exact reasons but iir from when I saw this solution sometimes timewarp associates your tw stuff with the system drive and gives false readings. Turning it off kind of like a wake up call to the system. Used this after I saw the tip when I did a massive dump of files I no longer used but drive was still not registering the changes.

Once you get your drive space back turn backups back on.

9. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Timewarp? What's that ?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did you wait until the reindex finished? It looks like you didn't.

You are referring to Time Machine's local snapshots, but OP has a different issue where none of the categories are showing correctly.