Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
That outrageous price for 512gb drive is questioning whether i should take it or not, I will not use an external hard drive since it ruin portability.
But I will install some light games and apps like Adobe CS6 collection, Final Cut pro, Motion, Aperture, iWork, iLife, Microsoft Office, Logic Studio 9 (only mainstage and logic pro), and nearly 10 other 50-100mb apps.
And will their be any speed differance.?
I will not install Bootcamp

And if Apple has the room to put a Quad-Core and make it just as powerful the macbook pro, how will it be? I just remember reading an article about it on March.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
What?
I am just asking if a bigger SSD will be necessary, and does more ssd storage speed up the laptop.
I will be buying one tomorrow, needless to say i am excited.
The storage capacity of the SSD, will not have any impact on speed. Think carefully about your requirements & how you plan to use any model of computer you choose. Getting the right one will be quite satisfying, if you let impulses get in the way, you may regret the purchase.

All to often Mac buyers choose what's cool looking, instead of what will do the job best.

macneubie

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2011
What?
I am just asking if a bigger SSD will be necessary, and does more ssd storage speed up the laptop.
I will be buying one tomorrow, needless to say i am excited.

A bigger SSD will have negligible impact on the battery life.

A quad-core has significant impact. This answers your second question in the thread title.

Retina Display

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
Isn't the i7 MacBook Air 4 Cores (2 Cores, 4 threads, OS recognizes as 4 Cores)

----------

That outrageous price for 512gb drive is questioning whether i should take it or not, I will not use an external hard drive since it ruin portability.
But I will install some light games and apps like Adobe CS6 collection, Final Cut pro, Motion, Aperture, iWork, iLife, Microsoft Office, Logic Studio 9 (only mainstage and logic pro), and nearly 10 other 50-100mb apps.
And will their be any speed differance.?
I will not install Bootcamp

And if Apple has the room to put a Quad-Core and make it just as powerful the macbook pro, how will it be? I just remember reading an article about it on March.

We both run Motion, Final Cut Pro X, After Effects and heavy stuff on our MacBook Air!

It's not that slow, except if you're trying to real time render advanced templates on AE or Motion. You'll get 10-15 FPS. But Final Cut Pro X works heavenly.

Trust me, I have the world's current fastest MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.